Classic Ice Blue Aqua Velva Aftershave Fans

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jgreenepa, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

The current offering is noticeable different from the Classic 70s Aqua Velva. I have several 70s bottles of Aqau Velva, and yes they smell much better than the current offering. In the 80s in the U.S. Williams and Aqua Velva were sold to Beecham P.A., and through the 90s and 2000s a few others before they landed with Combe in 2007. I have a few different bottles from these time periods as well, and yes the scents of Aqua Velva started changing, even before the plastic.

Also, the Spanish version has had the recipe changed to be better on the skin. Although I have not yet tried it I have heard that it still smells more like the old stuff. Additionally CVS carries an Aqua Velva copy called Arctic Blue that smells much better than modern Aqua Velva.

NTR and brit like this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Bird Lives

[​IMG]

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  4. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I agree that modern AV is different than the OG from back in the 70’s. This is NOT Pete Rose’s Aqua Velva. Lol.

Today’s AV is just “more”, and not for the better. It’s sweeter smelling, and just seems over architected. And less “manly”, whatever that means.

The OG Velva had very clean and balanced smell. Nothing overboard, except maybe that brisk alcohol and menthol blast that hit your face upon application.

One thing that hasn’t changed is that Aqua Velva is the best name ever!

5. Bird Lives

The new "Ice Blue" may have changed...BUT, when I splash it...it still has whatever it needs to give me that olfactory time-machine rush, and takes me back to my childhood....

I wish "Old Spice" still did...I splash with the new Old Spice and "nothing"...it doesn't give me any kind of olfactory flash...and that was my Pop's signature After Shave.

Oh....and Skin Bracer also gives me some great olfactory flashes of many years ago..and I wasn't expecting that...my Dad only used Skin Bracer, if he couldn't find any Old Spice...But this new juice, really took me back

6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Have I responded to this thread???? As far as I an concerned it smells the same.

rbilly likes this.