The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

This was a great idea and the execution of the design was phenomenal. Congrats!

Oh, and that is a great example of a Lancet.

kjbarth and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:thanks:

brit and TestDepth like this.
  3. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  4. kjbarth

Thank you.

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  5. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous razor. Love the scrimshaw.

kjbarth and Billyfergie like this.
  6. kjbarth

Thank you.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. TestDepth

Always kept the radar on for a sweet spot Hart blade... not the real early ones and not the newest... and I think I got my hands on one.

6/8 square point in Lacewood, supposedly part of a retail liquidation.
    98435C2D-9842-4D7A-9BE0-7DD65E091E2F.jpeg
    It was made/ground/finished by Artisan Technician “JA” or James Arman, and that was why I believe it is in the sweet spot.
    42335E67-575D-4525-9EEC-A3157901415F.jpeg
    I think he left Hart to make his own blade line in early 2016, so maybe this fits into that post Tim Zowada influence timeframe.

Looking forward to taking it for a spin.
    Tom

Keithmax, RezDog, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  8. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I am to the point in my collection that I pass on 100 SR before I take one home. This is too ugly to leave in the wild. A flea market score. A 8/8 Wosty wedge in some massive homemade wood scales. Even used a piece of a old wedge straight for the wedge. Some spine hone wear but no rust, all patina. Will try to sand the scales down and thin to a more respectful size

49F0833F-7022-43AA-A56F-6F56465BE45F.jpeg 7FAA7BC1-14D6-4AA5-BFC2-B7EF3621C5FA.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Keithmax, RezDog, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  9. Timwcic

Love the scales

Just did the same a few weeks ago, bought a blown out marriage SR to save the Tree Boker scales

Absolutely outstanding

10. Timwcic

Thank you for the comments. It was a private sale when I acquired the king of my B-Hone, my Norton salesman razor hone from a barbers estate. Never bought anything from eBay or auctions. All of my scores are hard earned wild finds

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I do like the look of that one, better than my round point.

12. TestDepth

Thanks Scott. I had the pleasure of using their round point and enjoyed it... we’ll see how this square/spike goes. Now the scales are definitely “industrial.”

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm sure you will rectify the scale problem, soon enough.

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Factory Fresh NOS Engels 5/8th Comin in from the USA...Still Greased from the Factory..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, RezDog, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

You are on a roll with some beautiful Engels this year!!! Congrats on the acquisition.

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  16. kjbarth

Ooooo, that’s nice!

Billyfergie, TestDepth and brit like this.
  17. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Wonderful Find ! Billy

Billyfergie, TestDepth and brit like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Thanks Lads..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

7DF2E012-A872-4FD9-B3DD-48DA1B063CA7.jpeg 98913A39-487E-4983-829A-6392C1C85A52.jpeg

Well, it’s been an busy end of the summer, and vacation is over but here are a couple of nice acquisitions from both ends of the spectrum.

I’ve been wanting to try a Russian since I’ve seen folks here say good things about them like @Karl G but the problem is always finding one that suits you. I took 2-1/2 years of Russian language in college, though I can still read, my vocabulary is long gone. This one is a NOS Stiz ‘Sport’ made in my birth year, and being born in May the green scales were a nice bonus. It’s well made. The scales are actually attractive, the grinding is good (bevel set on a 2k Shapton), steel seems about like German steel, and may be since that carted a lot of things back to the motherland after the war. Machine cut jimps on the bottom of the tang are nice too. It shaved very well, but of course if you wanted anything wider than 5/8 you were pretty much out of luck.

The other is a Joseph Rodgers ‘Cutlers to their Majesties’ frameback, and is a scale swap. In addition to the W&B with the cracked blade that I posted some time back, I picked up a Sheffied with a decent but worn blade and ivory for $21 delivered, the antique store ‘pickers’ didn’t know what they had. I didn’t feel too bad since they had a dyed horn scaled razor for $125! So those ivory scales are now dressing up a more suitable Sheffield.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Keithmax, RezDog, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

E2AD5EE9-A3EF-4216-9E69-9279ECC5D810.jpeg

These are not true acquisitions, but they are a completed project. I already had the Cape 500 in the white scales, and a worn Towa was sitting in the grey ones. Well, I like black-and-white pairs, so a scale swap with a Cape 1325 with plain, worn scales had been on the back burner for a while. Despite the difference in model numbers, the Swedish Steel blades are almost identical. Ended up nicely! And no the 1325 doesn’t have a nick, that’s a reflection. At some point I need to upgrade my homemade lightbox, it’s an old cardboard shipping crate with the sides and top cut out and covered with thin paper.

Keithmax, RezDog, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.