Using a Straight razor on a not-so-straight face....

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BlueShaver, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Is this possible?

I have some scaring and a mole or two. I often cut these with carts, but no so much now (if at all) with DE's
    Is it worth trying a straight (or a shavette?)

Trigger, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I would say that scarring shouldn't be that much of a problem. Just go gently. Moles do require more care when shaving with a SR. Of course, you could just cut them off. Then you'd only have scarring! :lyrtuy5:

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Honestly, the question I would ask is rather simple

Do you have any issues with using a Razor Now ??? assuming you are using some sort of bladed razor and not an Electric

4. BlueShaver

I catch my mole if i am not careful and my scars often go unshaved as i have no feeling in that area and the creases seem to be un-shaveable!

Trigger and Keithmax like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The good news is that a SR once learned is the MOST versatile bladed edge you can use.

A SR allows an infinite number of Edges, angles, and pressures so that it is capable of way more than any other bladed razor.

The trick is taking the time to learn all this. but Yes I know people that shave over Facial Scaring without a problem, and a simple shift in angle and pressure will adjust for the Mole

That is the good news, the bad news is it takes about 100 shaves to really become proficient at using a SR, and most people don't dedicate to the learning process, that is now your choice

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

A Straight Razor can, and will, take a mole, clean off. You won't even feel it. Ask me how I know. :shocked003:

Trigger, Keithmax, BlueShaver and 4 others like this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I used to have moles before I tried shaving with straights. It was much cheaper than a dermatologist and no waiting for an appointment.

Trigger, Keithmax, BlueShaver and 3 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    519rZ1PeToL._SX342_QL70_.jpg
    Should have used a SR.

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Just don't lather the area of concern and when you do shave that area, go slow. I use a rather light touch when shaving with a SR or anyone razor. I can hover pretty well.

Trigger, Keithmax and BlueShaver like this.
  10. BlueShaver

What happened afterwards (to the mole) and do you still SR shave?

Trigger, DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  11. BlueShaver

Not a bad impersonation of my issues tbh

Trigger likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

Oh, the mole disappeared. Yes, I still find the time to Straight Razor shave.

Trigger and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

:D

Trigger likes this.
  14. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I am probably 60 shaves into this journey, but I find that, because I can see the blade I am able to work around areas of concern easier that with a DE. I have lost 45 lbs this year and now have hollows on my cheeks and neck that I didn't have when I started SR shaving. Skin stretching helps, but I find I go into the hollow with the tip of the razor and come out using the heel.

Trigger, DaltonGang and brit like this.
  15. BlueShaver

Wow, that is a great result for the weight loss!

Trigger likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

Probably from blood loss. :happy097:

Trigger and BlueShaver like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Congratulations one loosing the weight. Huge accomplishment. :bounce017:

Trigger and brit like this.
  18. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

The ultimate solution is to go to a dermatologist and have the mole removed - simple, quick and painless. I had one removed from my arm and, believe it or not, he shaved it off. Of course he had access to Lidocaine. I’m sure many people shave around moles and such. Straight razors are quite accurate instruments.