How about a story about kindness?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Preacher, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

wristwatchb, brit, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is a sweet story. It’s good to see things like that in the news.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

One thing I like to see reported is stories showing human-animal bonding.

brit likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, that was a good story of kindness. But, all I really could focus on was, "Why doesnt that kid pull his pants up? What the heck is going on in society?? Geez
    kid, have you got a belt?? Do you know how to use one??""

brit likes this.
  5. Preacher

I felt the same way when I saw the pic (I hate the whole sagging thing), but I realized that I was judging on appearance when the reality is that this kid was doing a kindness toward another person. I focused on the kids actions rather than his clothes.

brit, Paul Turner and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good story .... It doesn't have to be only at school; my co-worker needs a place to work on his vehicle, unfortunately my complex doesn't offer garages, but my son's does. I'll be renting a garage so I can do some work and so can my co-worker. Just helping where you can is a big thing to others.

As for the kids clothing .... we all had things that bothered adults of our time. The bigger thing that I find disturbing is the infatuation that people have with their phones.

:eatdrink013:

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  7. Preacher

I like stories of people being kind to other people. I think the world could use more of it!

brit, Paul Turner and wristwatchb like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Here's another story that touched my heart.

brit likes this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

All through high school, I wore a belt buckle that had a full-color representation of the Budweiser beer logo. I thought it looked cool when actually it looked stupid. A caring older gent took me aside one day and privately spoke to me about it. It took me years to appreciate what he was telling me, and I'll never forget how he handled the situation with me.

Everytime I see saggy pants, purple hair, a tatoo sleeve, or run into a crotchety person, I try to remember that outer appearances seldom reflect what's in a person's heart. (I fail quite a lot and jump straight to judgment, but I try not to...) The OP is a great example. I'd love to see more stories posted in this thread.

Preacher and Enrico like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sadly, I was bullied for from 6th grade right thru my freshman year in college. My 5th grade year was at a wonderful private school in Washington, DC. Going from that school to 6th grade in the public school system of Lexington, MA...(and onward, as I mentioned), was like going from the major leagues to "Single-A" in the Minors. Like working for the President of the United States to being a dogcatcher(sorry, dogs!). I'm sooo glad I was strong enough to not let any of this ruin the rest of my life.

brit and Enrico like this.
  11. Preacher

Keep 'em coming, guys and girls. These stories are uplifting. When you see a story of kindness and generosity, post it here.

12. Preacher

Simply amazing!! It's crazy how a single act of kindness can change someone's life.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

:D

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The last couple of days have been particularly good, as I have been the recipient of a great deal of kindness.

At Temple, yesterday, I mentioned my upcoming cataract surgery. Numerous older congregants, who have experienced this came over to me to assure me that it’s an easy procedure and that I will be fine. Truthfully, I really am not worried or nervous, but I still appreciated their thoughtfulness.

Later in the afternoon, my husband came home from a class (in bow hunting safety.)Having learned that my bowstrings are ready, he insisted on taking me to the shop right away. Strings do wear, so they must be replaced periodically, but my old strings were still OK, so it really could have waited. But he just didn’t want me to wait. I am lucky to have such a sweet husband.

Last but not least, comes my pharmacy. I need 3 different types to prescription eye drops to prepare for the surgery. The drops my doctor prescribed were absurdly expensive, even with my insurance. Rather than just fill the prescriptions, the pharmacist called me to discuss it. He then called my doctor to ask him to find alternates that were not so costly. In the end, the prescriptions cost me a total of $18.00 rather than the original $280.

brit and Paul Turner like this.