Any idea what this is?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BlueShaver, Sep 17, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It looks like what is referred to as hybrid new. I can't say for sure it is a Gillette without seeing the base plate stamps but why they are referred to as hybrid new razors is they have older new style base plates with a safety guard instead of an open comb.

Jrdelgado likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

The base plate looks like modern CNC milled aluminium.

Jrdelgado likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It looks very nice.

Jrdelgado likes this.
  5. BlueShaver

On that place fyi.

Jrdelgado likes this.
  6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

The handle does appear to have the diamond Gillette logo on it near the bottom where the metal is smooth. Never seen the base plate like that. RyX could be right that it doesn't belong to the handle or the top cap. For lots of reasons, parts of razors get interchanged with others. It could also be some kind of hybrid Tech. The form of it seems quite similar to the English Techs from the 1940s. The only difference seems to be the scalloping on the safety bar.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1940s thin handle Tech in Bakelite England.JPG

Jrdelgado and RyX like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Exactly without seeing the under side of the base plate we can't make 100% determination if it is indeed a Gillette New hybrid or some frankenrazor with a Gillette handle, case and base plate from a non Gillette razor.

Jrdelgado, RyX and brit like this.
  8. BlueShaver

some more pictures:

s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

brit, Jrdelgado and RyX like this.
  9. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That is not a Hybrid. To that end, it’s not a Gillette. I don’t have a good idea as to what it is, other than what it isn’t.

brit likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: Unless a prototype. The scalloped guard looks nothing like any Gillette I've seen. Did you buy it? I would have if I were you. :)

RyX likes this.
  11. BlueShaver

No, it is still on auction if you want it :)

I am more interested about the box and handle. I have never seen (or a t least don't remember) seeing anything like it. Those parts are genuine Gillette.

Perhaps Mexico or Canadian made?

brit and RyX like this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

The box and handle are good, and even the cap is Gillette-esque. I think the Gillette parts are from and unique to the EU.
    The latch on the case reminds me of one of the French Set cases I have and the handle stamp points to common practices in the UK & German Markets

brit and RyX like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Rothbart-Gillette. Though the hole in the bottom plate is a bit smaller than mine and yours is the beefier handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    PLANofMAN, brit and RyX like this.
  14. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

It´s a 3-piece Rotbart/Gillette Hybrid

PLANofMAN, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. BlueShaver

16. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

17. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

The hybrid I was referring to is the Tech/NEW Hybrid. Well that's pretty cool! I looked at my French Set and it has the same screen-print logo and overall case design, just different materials for the case. The cap also looks like the centering bar is two-tiered. It's an interesting head assembly for sure!

brit likes this.
  18. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Most likely a post war Rotbart (I suspect these were sold in countries where Germans weren't "popular"). The cap and baseplate, long groove/ridge, are a new variant, thanks for sharing.

Adam

brit likes this.