New Deluxe Owners Group (NDOG)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Aug 31, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

jtspartan likes this.
  2. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It is less a problem with the fixed guard razors than with the 3-piece razors. Since the stem and cap lock together by drawing tension inward, everything between the 2 parts are held in place. The tube could be cracked, stem to stern and everything would remain tightly held together.

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

yes sir i agree..handle is cracked on both ends,one halfway up the handle..just being picky..haven't seen many canuck ones..wondering if i just drive it or give it some cosmetic love..its solid with no bent teeth or damage..the baseplate is still well plated..i really want a chrome or british round tooth cutout one..

4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I may not understand what you are referring to when you say “round tooth cutout one.”

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

052220.jpg
    052329.jpg ..british new deluxe i hadn't seen before..

preidy, Rev579 and jtspartan like this.
  6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

if you find out more let me know sir..i have to have one..:)

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Beautiful beard/head shave with fresh Treet Platinum. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

preidy, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

awesome ..

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

All these handles with the diamond pattern knurling... I've not seen these in the wild. Is the pattern raised or pushed in? Looks like it would grip well.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

raised like braille sir.bit of both ,knurling.these new deluxe are a 2 piece razor design like your single ring .the 3 piece is rare in comparison,they have really nice balance but the handle tubes get cracks..very common like the old type ball end handles..

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Here is the handle I believe is a "frankenhandle" based on the ferrule that is being used. Likely a Tuckaway ferrule and endcap, with a New Standard tube. The pattern is made through "impressions".
    Bostonian-Tuckaway Frankenhandle-closeup.jpg

Here is the Chrome NEW Deluxe(I was more interested in the razor than the condition of the case). Clearly it was well taken care of. The closeup reveals the pattern is also made through "impressions". Chrome NEW Deluxe handle.jpg

Here is a 1930 Chrome NEW Deluxe Tuckaway. The pattern is also made through "impressions". NEW Chrome Tuckaway.jpg

Here is a Red & Black Special Deluxe with a "Special" Handle. Like the others, this pattern is made through "impressions". Red & Black Deluxe Special Handle.jpg

Finally, this is a Silver Bostonian. The pattern is made through "impressions". This allowed for a great detail with the zoom on my phone. Silver Bostonian handle.jpg

preidy, terstation, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

quite the impression sir..:)

Dave in KY and RyX like this.
  14. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

i see what you did there...

brit and RyX like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

those sets look awesome..i would love to find a chrome/silver new deluxe set,especially a brit one..

Rev579 likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

And thanks to your great close ups, I see what THEY did there! By making the impressions it looks like some of the brass squished sideways, too. Not like later knurling that is much deeper or covers more area. They grip well?

I spotted this one (and another with a trashed chrome case) in a shaving gear lot. It's the only razor in the group I have any curiosity about so not worth over thirty bucks to me.
    NEW Standard?
    Gillette NEW Standard.gif

preidy, Rev579 and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

that razor is a new improved head style.very cool..

RyX likes this.
  18. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

The only ones that were Silver were the NI sets. The NEW Deluxe and NEW Tuckaway sets were Chrome. The down side of the chrome is it can crack if it is dropped. The nickel is pretty hearty though.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:)

20. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

If the handle is good and the guard is good, $30 isn't bad at all. Do you know if it is a 126(L) or 106(R)? The 106 was made from 1921-1928 and the 126 from 1928-29. Notice the shoulder difference. The easiest way to pass/fail eyeball test is by looking at the comb length and comparing it to the Shoulder Dip v. Shoulder Width.
    106 & 126.jpg

brit and RyX like this.