Masculine Scented Artisan Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by MrEE, Sep 14, 2019.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Thanks everyone! As a result of this conversation I have ordered a Chiseled Face sample pack, the only tub of Stirling Noir I could find, and I have a bunch of Stirling samples picked out once the budget recovers or I decide to throw caution to the wind and just buy them now (So, probably later today).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    RyX and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

:) very cool..enjoy..

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Those samples are huge compared to other companies. Not a couple of shaves - a couple weeks of lathers!

brit likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm interested as to what you chose for your Chiseled Face sample pack.

brit likes this.
  5. MrEE

brit likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If you are open to non tallow, you might check out Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Lots of scent choices to select from there. Black Bot, Lather Blaster 3000, Future Fiction, and John Frum are some of my favorites. Atomic Age Bay Rum is by far the best Bay Rum I have tried.

SilverSwarfer and RyX like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Winn Dixie here. It IS a bit creepy wuth all the ole gals following me around.

brit, RyX and Terry like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I might just have to dose up and watch my six next time I hit the Market Bucket!
    Old gals need lovin' too!

brit likes this.
  9. MrEE

Update: the Chiseled Face samples came today. By the time I got home my wife had already opened the package and prioritized the samples.

Her top 5:
    1) Trade Winds
    2) Ghost Town Barber
    3) Midnight Stag
    4) Sherlock
    5) Bay Rum

I married the dairy farmer's daughter. She says Midnight Stag reminds her of the farm. We agreed, it smells like old tractor and new leather gloves. It reminds me of grandpa's tack shed. If you grew up around oils, solvents, and leather, Midnight Stag will remind you of home.

Paul Turner, brit, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

:)

11. MrEE

First tub of stirling should arrive today. :happy093:

I am not getting as nice of a lather with the Chiseled Face samples. I'm wondering if it's the soap or I am using too little product and/or too much water. Are the Chiseled face soaps thirsty?

brit and RyX like this.
  12. ftrez

ftrez Member

I have only tried their Sherlock and I don't recall a problem with getting a quality lather. The scent is a bit too peppery for me though. Let us know what you think of the other scents (smell and performance); I'm considering getting the sampler myself.

RyX and MrEE like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Snurdle dipper. Use a small spoon, butter knife, or similar tool to take a measured amount and evaluate your results. A sugar cube sized amount for cream. Maybe half that much for soft soap. Hard soaps even less, but don't worry about "wasting lather". Soap is cheap and samples from the same company (unless different formulas) are more about choosing a scent. If you use too much and make too much lather wash the rest of your face with it. Better to get a good volume of lather with the best shaving properties than to think the soap is substandard because you pinched pennies.

Do you bowl or face lather?

14. Paul Turner

Have you tried their Home On The Range?

brit and MrEE like this.
  15. MrEE

I lather in a bowl. With the samples I put a small scoop in the bowl. Otherwise I load the brush in a tub or mug... This morning I noticed the soap was broken up in pieces mixed into the lather. So, the soap isn't dissolving completely.

RyX likes this.
  16. MrEE

I've only tried 3 of the samples so far. Trade Winds is a no go for me. I like the smell in the tub but not on my face. Sherlock was nice, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to buy near term. Midnight Stag is very unique. My wife really likes it as it appeals to her farm girl roots. She reinforced that opinion this morning when I opened the bathroom door post shave. I'll probably buy a tub of Midnight Stag for those rare occasions when I want to feel like I'm rubbing a used shop rag on my face, but only because the scent brings back fond childhood memories.

If it helps you decide, I'd do it over again. It's been fun so far.

brit and RyX like this.
  17. Paul Turner

When it comes to Chiseled Face, I'm TEMPTED to try Midnight Stag again, but also think I might go for one of their "nature" ones, like Trade Winds.

brit and RyX like this.
  18. MrEE

Actually I lathered up the Pine Tar last night, but I only shaved one cheek. It's so mild I can't really see myself enjoying enough to buy it when there are so many I love.

Quoted straight from Amazon:

Nine scents are included in this pack, each with enough soap (0.4oz) for about half a dozen shaves.

Santa Paul - a scent inspired by southern California Orange Groves.

Pine Tar - Simple great performing soap with natural pine tar added for sensitive skin

Sherlock - A scent inspired by the character brought to life in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in his classic book series: a warm tobacco base blended with toasted caramel, black pepper, moist dirt, and finished with a touch of leather, moss, mandarin, honey and rose.

Cedar & Spice - an all natural scent, made up entirely of essential oils. Warm, woody, and reassuring with a hint of lime and spice kick to keep things from getting boring.

Summer Storm - Reminiscent of a Midwest rain storm, this sent includes notes of moist earth, oak moss, cut grass, pine needles, orange, lemon, ozone, white jasmine, lily of the valley, geranium and musk.

Trade Winds - Our fresh aquatic scent – ocean, ozone, cucumber and a touch of mint backed up by a base of old spice. The closest you can get to sailing a tall ship without leaving your bathroom!

Ghost Town Barber - A classic barbershop scent with a western twist – main notes being bergamot,basil leaf, white patchouli, oakmoss, texas cedar, leather, smoke, and gunpowder.

Cryogen - Not your average soap. This is Cryogen. We put a ridiculous amount of ice cold menthol in here. It will sting and make your eyes water - it might even make your lips go numb. Some may say it is not even usable, but we like it. This is the coldest soap on the market.

[Midnight Stage -] Dark, unrefined, and totally unresistible, this is a scent for those who are proud to be a man.
    Notes of: Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamont, Vanilla​

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  19. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of Summer Storm

KUSTOM and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Summer storm does sound good. I grew up outside of Chicago so Midwestern rain storms would be childhood memories. I enjoy many Barbershop variations and the Ghost Town might be good, too. Don't know about the smoke & gunpowder. With all these assuming the soap makes a functional lather, then it's making sure your skin doesn't react weird to the scent oils.

brit likes this.