Your Favorite T.V. Series?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Sep 21, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Who was your first Doctor.gif
    Tom Baker was mine.
    It's a decent story with lots of action, many reoccurring themes, and good for family viewing. There are several spin offs. Torchwood was pointed to a more mature audience with an X-Files feeling. I found some of the modern romance parings a little uncomfortable, but I'm old school that way. Sarah Jane Adventures is after school fare for younger audiences.
    I haven't watch these yet. Might binge them one rainy weekend.

brit, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  2. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. Couldn't resist, had to watch more.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Mine was Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, but mainly Tom.

As to Torchwood :eek:, I too, am old fashion and politically incorrect in thoughts. part of the reason I don't watch tv now.

:eatdrink013:

BamaT, DaltonGang, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cutting the Cable is a thing. With broadband internet and a few minutes of googling I can watch most any TV series or movie that's been digitized. No commercials, pause & rewind, captioned. Some time ago I purchaded a one terabyte external hard drive. It gets used less often since everything is on demand and easy.

BamaT, wristwatchb, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

John Pertwee was mine..sadly a lot of those color episodes were erased after the 70s..

Enrico likes this.
  6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I know this is off topic of the thread, but your comment about the 1TB external hard drive made me think just how much that kind of thing has gone down in price. A drive like that used to be few and far between. But now there not that pricey and are way more common

brit likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I say I don't watch tv, but actually I only watch reruns and old movies. I cut the cable alright ..... I mainly use antenna (mounted on my apt deck). On a rare (holidays) times, I splurged and get Netflix or Pureflix.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    BamaT, wristwatchb, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

good old netflix and u tube though my old xbox..not interested in paying for commercials..biggest con on the planet..

9. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Matt Smith was my first Doctor and I really enjoyed his run, Britbox has all the classic who episodes and reconstructions/missing audio and so far I have enjoyed them all. (Newest Doctor has poor writing IMO)

RyX, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I watched All in The Family as a kid, and I thought it was funny. I watch the shows as an adult, and they take on a whole different meaning. I still love them. Thinking about Carroll O'Connor, I also enjoy Heat of the Night.

I'm also a fan of anything with Andy Griffith playing in it...The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock are favorites.

As far as talk shows, The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson was classic. I love to catch the re-runs on YouTube.

BamaT, RyX, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

After hearing about the weird and unusual off stage life of Bob Crane I just can't separate the two and just watch the show.

RyX, DaltonGang, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It bothered me at first, but the shenanigans that other actors and musicians pull it makes him look tame.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

When the TV show was airing weekly, I liked watching it. I thought it was just clean and funny.

"Friends"

[​IMG]

BamaT, RyX and Enrico like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

From my youth, The Bugs bunny Show and The Flintstones.
    Hogan's Heroes took on new meaning for me when I learned that most of the actors who played the Germans (and one who played a prisoner) were Jewish war refugees or concentration camp survivors.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Robert Clary and Kenneth Washington are the only surviving cast members.

Clary & Washington.jpg

AGHisBBS, Sara-s, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

All time? M.A.S.H

runners up

B&W Perry Mason
    Perry-Mason-Featured.jpg
    The Original Equalizer
    b660d88438a5af0bd6cf381bf28a909e.jpg
    La Femme Nikita (90s version)

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I also enjoy Perry Mason and Equalizer

Stingray was also an interesting show ..... unfortunately it didn't last long.

:)

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Regarding Hogan’s Heroes, I was young and thought it was funny. However, here is another take on the show. One of my uncles who was in very heavy fighting in Europe during WWII, including the Battle of the Bulge, didn’t like it at all.

He saw the German military in a very different light. He said that show made the German army out to be fools, when they were a fighting machine and anything but fools. He knew what it was like to fight the German army, saw many of his fellow soldiers fall in battle to them, and he could never see it for the comedy.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    AGHisBBS, RyX, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That viewpoint is quite understandable. The other side of it is that of the actors who were Jewish refugees and camp survivors. Obviously they too, knew how dangerous the Germans were, but this was their way of saying "Ha! We're still here and you're not."

The actor who played Colonel Klink (Werner Klemerer) had a stipulation in his contract that they were never allowed to write an episode in which the Germans came out on top.

BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just finishes watching the entire series of Magnum P.I., after several months of spare time watching. Great series.

BamaT, RyX and Enrico like this.