What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Erchy

Erchy New Member

Ive always wanted one of these wiener schaber razors.

How do they perform for such a small razor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and M14Shooter like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Demascara 5/8...…..all that I did last night was linen and horse hide stropping. The edge was well developed this AM and pleasingly effective.
    Demascara.jpg

Keithmax, brit, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Detroit National Cut. Co. Double Hollow Ground
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, brit, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

235B57CF-2E8B-4F9B-B2B3-5C19F74A52D7.jpeg

Tanifuji MaxFli 5000 Stainless, cream was Castle Forbes lime lathered up with a big Simpsons 59. A splash of Myrsol Limon finished things up.

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Sounds like an influenza vaccine. Very nice Steve. Steve Clark and I are at Cataloochie for the weekend.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Lol, maybe it does! Have a wonderful trip Chuck and Steve, that’s God’s country for sure. I’ve hiked Cataloochee some, but not a lot because it takes time to get into and out of on a day trip, better for 3 or more days I think. You need to visit the South Carolina mountains around Walhalla too, beautiful country down that way.

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Argan Oil
    Friodur Henckels Solingen 7/8th
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    Valobra Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I had a Real Comfortable Shave this Morning with My Friodur 7/8th..My Face is Polished like a Pair of Guardsman's Drill Boots..

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

8. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Mike Martinez 9/8th
    Jayarah #311 Boar Brush
    Barrister & Mann Latha Limon
    True Gentleman Pre Shave Oil
    John Varvatos Artesian Shaving Balm Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece Doug.

10. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill, I got that a couple of months ago, I have been away so this my 2cd shave with this monster.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #224
    Fredrick Reynolds 5/8
    CWS
    Barbasol AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #224 Brush. I did two passes with the Fredrick Reynolds 5/8 and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Barbasol AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

12. Edison Carter

Stirling, single edge Straight, Spuming September.

Proraso menthol pre-shave
    Stirling - Triumph SS
    Omega 10098 boar
    Fine Accoutrements shave bowl
    Dovo 91 Sunday Shaver Cocobolo
    Proraso menthol after shave balm
    Stirling - Triumph AS

[​IMG]

This is only maybe the 2nd time of missing 3 days since I took up wetshaving...... I hang my head in shame.....

The recovery was one of those shaves that reminds you WHY you do this.

The Stirling - Triumph is a dupe of Paco Rabanne Invictus. A limited edition set.

The Mighty Blue Ming was on hand with his magical soap wizardry. As clearly displayed we have wet suds that clearly are beyond spume forth. At least spume 5th or 6th. One look at the volume of super suds generated and seasoned bloomaphobes are tearing their clothes and throwing dirt in the air. The children and grandchildren of dry soapers are trembling with fear....... Yea, anyhow...... nice lather!

This was only my second use of this particular edge forward shaving device since it came back from 30k Shapton School. Performance on a 3 day usually yields a little first pass tug.......not so here. I use my other Sunday Shaver as a baseline comparison to all open edge shavers. This one is now 'edgy sharp' cuts more easily, but not as smooth. I'm sure it'll smooth out a little in time, still... excellent.

Went unusually light on the Triumph AS, cause it has a final that I'm personally not big on (probably patchouli). Still, I had to come back for a GlacialLemon Chill Overcoat. Probably give it one more shot, only after a healthy citrusy something.

Hope y'alls weekend is good
    Shave on!

13. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

7/8 + Talley -Ho

Had a wonderful shave with this Sheffield blade.Was BBS in two passes. This razor took a super keen edge.She is almost scary sharp.Might have to bring her down a notch on the Charnley Forrest. Thought the Phoenix and Beau Spitfire soap was the perfect match.Love the Leather
    ,Tobacco and Juniper berry scent.Soap is a top notch performer like the blade.
    rps20190928_131140_202.jpg

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Double razor shave today. Vintage Sheffield, vs Modern Solingen. I was testing the Dovo for another member. I used both, on the same strokes, and same cheeks, alternating the tough areas. Both gave a seamless, smooth shave, WTG and ATG. The Sheffield razor sang loudly, and seemed to have harder steel, but both were equally great shavers. The aftershave went on, with very little feedback.

Razor- Chicago Pocket Knife Co. Sheffield England.
    DOVO. Solingen Germany
    Brush- Omega 10098. Boar
    Soap- More For You. From Turkey
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice.

P9281181.JPG

P9281180.JPG

Tanuki, Primotenore, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  15. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Michael Waterhouse Custom Smiler FBU
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip XL
    Pre Shave Raw Organic Coconut Oil
    TOBS Luxury Coconut Shave Cream

Finish Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Coconut Fizz Edt

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very pretty. :happy088:

17. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dalton.:)

18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    Wester Bros Solingen Full Hollow 5/8th
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    Valobra Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Just had a Lovely Early Morning Shave Today with My Wester Bros Solingen 5/8th.An Impeccable Shaver..:angelic007:

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:eatdrink047:

Billy..:chores016:

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

274D0CE3-6F1A-4AAC-B497-8E52C3918656.jpeg

This one’s for Scott, one of a Touron-Parisot cased pair made between 1850 and 1860, scaled in ‘ironing board’ tortoise, about 11/16+. Very elegant blades. Soap was MdC agrumes lathered with a Keyhole 4, and Myrsol Limon topped off a BDBS shave. The best of the old ‘pot steel’ is vastly underrated though admittedly not well suited to mass production which the Bessemer process solved, and turned good steel into a commodity rather than a luxury.

Even today, wootz and tamehagane, both pot steels, are greatly admired. I suspect that there were many other pot steels, like these, that are now lost to time.

You can many times identify pot steels by the names, ‘acier fondue’ in French, cast steel in English, tamehagane in Japanese (apparently translated as ‘ball steel’ by Google), etc.

Tanuki, Karl G, lindyhopper66 and 9 others like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Nice set.
    Great background info.
    Thanks for sharing.

Tanuki, Steve56, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.