I Want Luxury.....

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by poppi, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

Murphy and McNeil pretty much check all the boxes for me.

brit likes this.
  2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The more you spend, the more luxurious you feel.

Paul Turner, Angelo85 and brit like this.
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

DR Harris, AOS, MdC Brain Bowl.

brit likes this.
  4. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

MY definition of luxury (and I did spend a few hundred to get there) is having enough soaps with matching splashes that I can choose the best scent for each day based on the season, weather, occasion, and my mood. It’s truly surprising how much my choices can swing from day to day. But having this selection really adds to the experience, and makes me feel like a king.

That’s MY definition of luxury, and I settled on Stirling products because they perform as well as I could ever hope for, and the pricing lets me afford a large selection over a reasonable time span.

Carson West, M14Shooter and brit like this.
  5. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

It’s always interesting to read some responses/opinions of soaps that someone regards as amazing and know how differently you feel about them ;-)

I was able to try out the Oleo/Ethos Dragonsbeard soap recently in a passaround, that’s some nice stuff. That and Grooming Dept have the most luxurious and unctuous feeling lather and post shave to me. And allegedly this new Declaration base that’s being finished up is going to be the geez knees...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    brit likes this.
  6. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

As with everything else, the shaving world is full of marketing hype, and a high price doesn't necessarily assure a quality soap.

Definitely try Stirling. They perform as well as anything else, they come in a million different great scents, and they only cost about $13 for a large tub. I buy them directly from the company. They sell samples too.

As for creams, Taylor of Old Bond Street makes great ones in many scents as well, and they cost about the same. They've been around since 1854, and I think they have the hang of it by now ;).

brit likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes, Creighton's certainly did a good job making shaving cream for them. I hear another company makes it for them now, or perhaps they moved it back in house? Creighton's does still make Trufitt & Hill shave creams.

It just goes to show that sometimes you pay for the name and a recipe. Speaking of Creighton's, an easy and fairly cheap way to try them is to buy The Body Shop's shave cream. If you like it, they often have buy 3 get 2 free sales.

Keithmax, NTR, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

have you tried any new non Creightons tobs?

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No. Only the old stuff. If the formula hasn't changed, I don't see where it matters who makes it.

Edit: I see they've removed parabens. And since that is something that doesn't affect the soap or cream being a soap or cream... I don't care. :p

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

fair enough..

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Latherin’ Luddite

Just to make sure this discussion is staying “light,” I’ll add that I experienced luxury just now with a three pass shave using Arko! It’s unglamorous and maybe overlooked, but it’s a performer. I finished things off with a healthy splash of Clubman. My wife won’t quit complaining until the dry down is over, but I feel like a million bucks!:cool:

Luxury doesn’t have to cost much.........it’s all between the ears regardless of dollars spent.

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Evoking fond memories of the barbershop urinal again?

Edit: for those who don't know, clubman is "the" quintessential American barbershop scent, and the scent of arko is similar to industrial lemon cleaning products and has been compared to urial cakes before.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  13. Latherin’ Luddite

She didn’t notice the Arko, but if/when using Clubman as an actual AS splash, it does wake up the house for a bit. I used it tonight so that it will have mellowed enough for office use tomorrow. But I unapologetically love Clubman.

PLANofMAN, Keithmax and brit like this.
  14. ftrez

ftrez Member

LOL. I don't quite LOVE Clubman but it's okay. My wife on the other hand is unapolgetic about her love for the scent. I don't wear it on week days though; I don't think the office would appreciate it as much as she does.

15. Castle Forbes, D.R Harris, I would consider these both to be luxury soaps. Personally I would find anything would a nice, thick badger brush can be a lux soap. Henri et Victoria is amazing with their Sir Henri brush is FANTASTIC! Or try Acca Kappa. They're all good.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. What Barrister and Mann? I love the products they do! Huge fan. Their Lavender is INSANE and not girly at all!

Keithmax and canoeroller like this.
  17. Batmanacci

Batmanacci New Member

If you want luxury I highly recommend Nuavia blu and AdP

DentonMajik, Keithmax and brit like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I have a particular fondness for their cologne russe. So few manufacturers make russian leather scents anymore.

brit likes this.