The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Ramblin Man didn't do it for me.

I think it was a dupe of Creed Himalaya. You can Google up Basenotes for the profile. It has about 8 things going. I thought I would like it based on their profile. Glad I didn't pony up for the real McCoy

2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I’m glad it’s not just me. I almost always buy the tubs, but didn’t this time.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think @Linuxguile PIFed me the Ramblin Man, then you sent the Baker Street and BoS. I'll keep working on those 3 to see if they're worth a purchase. I've already declared Sandpiper to be a re-purchase.

4. mrbaho

mrbaho Member

What does Stoylin mean? I am new here and I cannot find it after reading many threads. Thanks

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That's the craziness of @Paul Turner using his Boston accent with the name Stirling. Just a fun quirk from Paul. He's referring to Stirling Soap Company when he says Stoylin.

6. Paul Turner

Shux, Perry. ...thanks for letting @mrbaho know about Stoylin. I'll give him a greeting on the Welcome page. And actually that is more of a New York/New Joyzee accent, not Boston. I'd also better make sure he doesn't call Doc Ezlovan, well...just that!!

7. Paul Turner

@mrbaho....welcome to TSD. Glad to have you with us. In addition to @PLAla 's explanation of what "Stoylin" is, I should add that I have a goofy name for the store owner Rod Lovan. I call him "Doc Ezlovan"-a referral to his screenname and to the fact that he should be given the title of "Doctor" since his products are so good. In fact, for the next 3 days, I will be using his Sandpiper(both the shave soap and aftershave). It's my favorite! Again, welcome to the group.

8. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

I have the Gillette NEw LC and really do like it. Great pic!

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Maybe it is cedar? Cedar is a much harsher scent to me than Sandalwood, which has a softer powder note to it, at least to me.

10. brit

brit in a box

sandpiper is awesome..

11. Paul Turner

The first of a Stoylin Sandpiper threefer went real well. In videos(not necessarily of Sandpiper)I see members do 3, sometimes four, passes. My shave-prep(in the shower)-the Nivea Energy-is good enough it tells me, "ya only need 2, BUDDEH!". As I said in a previous post, I'm sure I'll run out of the aftershave before the soap. Sandpiper's "cologne clone"(The Yves St. Laurent)gets such high ratings in Men's Cologne websites.

12. brit

brit in a box

i got a bottle of the ysl la nuit de l'homme edt and ordered the stirling sandpiper set shortly after..awesome stuff..

13. Latherin’ Luddite

Stirling Spice..............how does it stack up to the Shulton/pre-90’s Original?

I read all 29 reviews on Stirlings site (probably from some members here), and it seemed like the earlier reviews claimed a more original match, while the later reviews stated that it was a better interpretation of the Original. Did the formula get tweaked, or is this just a reviewer anomaly?

I haven’t sniffed real OS in 30 years, and between memories and changing nose and experience levels, I might not know the real thing if it was poured in my ear. But I do have a tub of Stirling Spice soap, and it seems to lean heavier towards the spice side, and lighter on the Tonka/powder scents. But that’s just the soap, and not even lathered.

I have fantastic memories of the old stuff, and also a longing for more traditional things in life right now (or at least the option of them), and I know that Rod has incredible mad skills at chemistry. I’m planning my next order, and wonder is Spice is spot-on, or I should just stick with Barbershop. Fall is here, and I’m in the mood for savoring all the cold weather scents. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  14. Paul Turner

You could do well with BOTH for the winter(Spice&Barbershop). I have Spice and do believe it' pretty close to Shulton. Which is a good belief to have.

15. Paul Turner

@Gnomeo0228 , if you do a Stoylin Spice video someday, make sure to have the French Horns&trumpets do the vintage Old Spice commercial music...I'm talkinabout THROUGHOUT THE VIDEO. I'll try to pay attention to you and the music together, but it'll be awfully hard!!! :)

16. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Rght now I have4 Stirling soaps and 2 of them are samples.
    I have....
    Barbershop& executive man

Samples..... Spice & bayrum
    ~ Barbershop is my favorite soap out of all of my soaps I love the days I love the sun and love how slick and protective it is!!! And the post shave feel is amazing

17. Paul Turner

Another great round with Sandpiper this morning. It's beginning to get real sudsy...just as Ramblin Man and Baker Street are(although I believe someone put them to great use already before PIFing them to me). Course I knew the aftershave would be great-Doc Ezlovan has done real well with his cologne dupes.

18. Latherin’ Luddite

I enjoyed perfect Stirling performance with Ramblin Man. I’m trying to kill the sample, so I didn’t hesitate to work my Stirling Butterscotch fan tip badger like I was on a mission. I was rewarded with luxurious yogurt, and made three full passes with my Game Changer.

Ramblin Man isn’t a scent that I care for ( VERY rare with Stirling), so I finished things off with a healthy dose of Clubman. Now I smell awesome on this cold, wet October morning. ;)

ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 5 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Ramblin Man is the next Stoylin up for me, and I'm going to pay close attention to it, based on what you and others have said-that it isn't a favorite. I think I tried it a couple times as last winter was ending, and thought it to be OK(it's NO SANDPIPER), so I'll see what I think of it when it comes around on my "Lazy Susan").

ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

Ahahaha!!! That's great idea. I have a sample of it smooshed into an old spice mug. Hmmmm

ezlovan, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.