SOS: October 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

i almost remember a white handled gillette in their bathroom..around 1980 ish since i was last there..

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  2. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Would that be a slim twist?
    My dad had a slim adjustable and I use one every January 31st (his birthday).

clint64, I Call It Maize and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

1970 (P2) Slim Twist.jpg looks like this ..vague though.long time ago..

Str8on2, kjbarth, jimjo1031 and 15 others like this.
  4. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

Paul...I like that Gillette menthol. Is it this one:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Excellent setup, Gary.

clint64 and brit like this.
  6. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

That's the one, one of my older brothers had one but I'm sure it was blue and rounder.

clint64 and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

thank you Matt..:)

Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i don't remember much about the details..i just remember the white handle..and the time frame fits.i thought it was a toothbrush handle at first glance..and being told not to touch it..:)

Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sunday
    OCtober 6, 2019

RR Game Changer OC .84 JAWS
    Gillette Platinum
    El Druida D7 Manchurian
    Panna Crema Nuavia Rossa
    CRSW Juniper Aftershave
    ADP Ginepro di Sardegna

[​IMG]

10. brit

brit in a box

awesome..love the brush..

clint64 likes this.
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Monday
    OCtober 7, 2019

Colonial General V2
    Schick ProLine P
    Alpha Outlaw SHD Two Band
    Savonierre Du Moulin
    Folsom Shambala
    Tom Ford for Men

[​IMG]

12. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

DSCF0016 - Edited (1).jpg
    Monday 10.07.19 SOTD

RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
    RazoRock German 37 Slant / Gillette Nacet (1)
    Semogue Owners Club Cherry Wood Boar
    Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Shaving Soap
    Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Aftershave Splash

DSCF0015 - Edited (1).jpg

13. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

RazoRock Game Changer .84
    Personna Lab Blue (2)
    Murphy and McNeil Magh Tured
    Stirling Witch Hazel, Unscented
    RazoRock Tuscan Oud

14. brit

brit in a box

menthol monday shave
    1930s goodwill empire set for the french market
    gillette spoiler-4
    semogue 1438 boar
    MWF
    proraso green a/s
    20191006_163139_edited.jpg

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

October 7, 2019
    Karve “D” OC
    Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow
    Thater Boar
    A&E Frozen Mojitos
    Myrsol Agua de Limon

[​IMG]

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober with the FAT

October 6

Razor - Gillette New LC Delta Echo
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - The I*V 10 - Moreau
    Post - Alum

It's a Sunday and a relaxing one for a change. We went to an orchard today and got some fresh apples, homemade apple butter and a jar of homemade peach/habanero jam. We had found some of that at Costco once and love it on pork. I'm a glutton for habanero peppers, and have suffered for it many times over many years. Should be good stuff. Dinner at Red Lobster tonight and home to shave. Head shave with the Merkur 23c/Astra and VDH soap and brush. No issues at all. Time for the main event.

My 299 gram tub of Mitchell's still weighed 299 at the start of the shave. I chose the "Moreau" brush. The hybrid boar/badger is incredibly dense and wonderful to lather with. I took it to the Fat like I hated it. Loaded up and got a fantastic lather out of it. Seriously, this knot from AP Shaveco is one of the best I've ever found. I could switch all my handles to this knot and be a very happy camper. Well, ok, so I'd keep a synth or two, but yeah, the hybrid is that good. Three passes with the LC and Sharp Star and I am smooth as silk and no blood either, as I avoided horizontal shaving tonight. You don't have to teach me the hard way more than once. Or twice. Alum was quiet and all's well. Cue-ball head and baby smooth face and neck. Great way to wrap up a very fun and relaxing day.

Weighed the tub and......298!!! I managed to drop a gram. I'll stick with it another day, as it is Monday tomorrow for MWF/MWF. After that I'll go back to MWF for the soap and only weigh it at the beginning of each shave. We'll see if I see some consistent usage at that point.

Have a fantastic start to your week!!

[​IMG]

17. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Talbot Shaving | Authors Ridge
    Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
    Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE
    Maol Grooming for Talbot | Authors Ridge

[​IMG]

I've been applying the Authors Ridge splash throughout the week. I immediately liked it, but I've come to appreciate it much more after a few applications. This is one of the more complex fragrances in my den, but it does require a little olfactory training. Initially, I felt like Authors Ridge was missing top notes, and as a result I thought this was a creative gag in making it "headless" (It's been done before, though). However, the more I use it, more is revealed. There is a rather dominant presence of rich earth and suggestions of oak lichen and mushroom, yet subsequent uses allow my nose to accept these base earthen elements and thus appreciate the distant muted and dry floral and crushed succulents. Then the woods become more distinct with resinous qualities approaching that of cedar with spicy and bitter highlights. The earth is also contrasted by what seems to be clean ozone to me.

The soap echoes these notes, but it's even more challenging to discern the discrete notes. In fact, had I not already experimented with the splash for several days prior to using the soap, I would probably not have been able to pick out more than earth and woods.

Authors Ridge is a very pleasant autumn fragrance and everything about it is quite natural, albeit dark. This is something someone who lives in the woods will likely lose track of after a couple hours of being outdoors. However, it's so well blended and complex that I propose this will speak quite differently to others.

Catie's Bubbles' wonderfully gothic 322 will not soon be usurped as my all-time favorite dark fragrance, but Authors Ridge is among its court.

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Gary!

clint64, Boru62 and brit like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Doug!

20. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

MONDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Razor - DaveOcean33 "Atlas"
    Blade - [​IMG] *4th Shave
    Shave Brush - Everyman Jack Synthetic
    Shave Stand by Robert Evans on Etsy. Must request custom project to order.
    Lather Bowl by Freida of the Etsy shop ASfreidaturns
    Lather Bowl by Freida of the Etsy shop ASfreidaturns
    Shave Cream - Taylor of Old Bond Street "Sandalwood"
    Deodorant - Taylor of Old Bond Street "Sandalwood"
    Aftershave - Taylor of Old Bond Street "Sandalwood"
    Cologne - Taylor of Old Bond Street "Sandalwood"

This one smells so good and I haven't even worn it yet. I can't wait to smell like an proper English Gentleman of old in my shirt and tie at work tomorrow.

***EDIT - Perfect 1-pass + light clean up shave. I really love this shaving cream. I had to use 2 finger tip size dabs to make the thickness I wanted, but it's really nice. My assumption is the cream must be dialed in correctly to give best results. I think I initially added too much water which forced a second dab of cream to be added. But, hey, live and learn. The scent of this stuff is worth every penny. I would pay 3-times this price (or more) for this scent. I love this scent. I wish they made an EDP for longer lasting scent with a bit more projection. Fantastic scent regardless of the longevity.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.