Straight Razor and Shavette Guide for Newbies

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Trigger, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Antz

Antz Active Member

That’s pretty much how I’m starting .. just doing what feels comfortable.
    So far no bloodshed
    Right now I’m using Wilkinson Sword blades I guess with good results.
    Would you have any recommendations on blades to use with a shavette?
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trigger likes this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I wouldn't use Feather , Kai or Shark blades because they are super sharp. Russian blades like Polsilver are fine. Merkur blades are ok. I have never tried Astra blades, but they are in between mild and aggressive. You have to experiment with different blades to find out what is right for you. I would suggest buying sample packs of different blades online to see what blades are good for you.

Antz likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I only used a straight razor as a daily shaver for years. With strict (focused) daily practice, my technique improved with each hand to the point where I could competently shave with either hand. I now incorporate a DE shave 2-3 times a week to save time on some mornings. When using a straight razor, I prefer to be unhurried and not pressed for time. Sort of a personal ‘morning therapy session.’
    Re: shavettes - I’ve tried them over the years but never became enamored with them enough to make them part of the morning routine. I get the convenience aspect ( no stropping nor edge maintenance required) but I simply prefer the thicker feel of the SR blade.

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  4. Trigger

Kevin, I understand. However, I am called to substitute teach at a moments notice and I am under the gun to get ready. I prefer straight shaves and a shavette gives it to me very quickly. I am able to do a 2 pass quick shavette shave and get just under a BBS in 12 minutes and that includes prep and face lathering. However, I prefer using my straights when not pressed for time.

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I use my straights almost every day, mostly nights. So, not rushed . Maybe pnce, every 3 or 4 months , I use a DE razor. I just get a better shave from the straight razors .

6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Trigger likes this.
  7. BlueShaver

Can one demonstrate this?

Trigger likes this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Like rolling a pencil in your fingers. This is the best way for me to accommodate the facial curves since as you roll the blade angle is altered.

BlueShaver and Trigger like this.
  9. BlueShaver

Thanks, i am off to the bathroom to practice with the butter knife :)

With this and taking photos, God knows what my missus thinks i am up to in there lol..

brit, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  10. ralof1

ralof1 New Member

I've been getting into straight razor shaving half a year ago after I went to a barbershop, where I got a nice shave with a straight razor. Later on, I watched a documentary on how they are manufactured, and fell in love in them. I bought myself a fairly cheap Feather SS Folding Handle Razor that I learned about in this article on https://www.paramountind.com to practice and I've been into it since then. My biggest recommendation is to take your time when shaving, think of it like a ritual that you are enjoying every minute of, and take every minute needed for it. For now, I shave just on weekends, because during the week I don't have time. It is very important to be focused and to not rush it, even with experience, think of the beard pattern, take it slow but with a firm hand. Also, blade maintenance is very important, don't skip it.

11. Trigger

@ralof1, You are absolutely correct. You will pick up your speed that you can straight or shavette shave to do so any day of the week with very good results.

12. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

1. Get proficient at stropping. - no-one talks about stropping technique. It's more important than honing. You can get your razor honed. No-one but you should strop it.
    2. You need more hydration than with a treated blade. - see Chuck's point above.
    3. Angle of the razor to the skin. Probably lower than you think.
    4. When you shave your chin, move your head not your hand.

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  13. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Why do your straights take longer than with the shavette?

14. Trigger

I don't keep my strop in the bathroom because I don't have a place to hook it. I have to bring it out of my bedroom and hang it on my front door turnable latch. Plus, stropping time and returning my strop to my hanger in my bedroom closet.

Edison Carter likes this.
  15. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Very helpful thread! I'll be perusing This off and on through the upcoming months to prepare me for this summer--gonna try my hand at the shavette again for a month straight (pun actually not intended, but serendipitous nonetheless) ;)

Trigger likes this.
  16. Trigger

Glad you found it, Tim!

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Since you are going shavette, another point for the list.
    Be watchful of the corners.
    Straights can be honed with some muting on corners. All mine were/are.
    My half DE shavettes have corner guards. I've read a couple of times where guys would mute corners on half DE blades used in other equipment to avoid injury.

timabababaluka and Trigger like this.
  18. Trigger

Very true, Bill! However, the Dovo shavette's blade insert covers the toe part of the blade so it doesn't need to be muted. The heel portion of the blade is uncovered, but the odds of getting poked or cut by it is very small because you usually lead with the toe. It is one of the great advantages of the Dovo shavette.

19. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

It's like you were there watching my prior attempts. It was that corner that got me to put the shavette into the maybe-another-day category; got myself with it one time too many.

I really need to slow it down with the shavette, which is why I'm waiting for summer ;)

Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I've never had a corner cut me on any gear. I've read about it happening to others enough to make it worth a mention.

Dovo makes great tools. I'm a fan of their stuff.

Trigger likes this.