Shavette conversations!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by pvtbanks, Oct 6, 2019.

1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Hey guys, I know I haven’t been on here for awhile. But what do you know! I’m back looking for some more insight from you guys.

@wristwatchb generously gifted me a Parker Shavette awhile back, and its became my everyday, all the time razor. To the point where the finish has chipped slightly here and there and has developed some rust stains.

Ive been using it almost exclusively with snapped in half GSB’s, and I have zero complaints.

My question for you all,
    Are there any shavettes you would recommend trying? Are there any half blades you recommend? I’ve never purchased half blades, and I’m hesitant to do so since I can’t find GSB, Voskhod, or the like in half blades.

I’m also open to Kamisori shavette recommendations, that’s typically the way I use the Parker. It just works for me.

thanks guys!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

It was a leap of faith and a dive into another blade type but I've enjoyed a kamisori style shavette that uses Feather Artist Club blades. The options in blades let you tailor the tool to your beard type.
    Feather Artist Club blade styles.gif
    Several companies offer the blade holders. I opted to get in on the cheap with one of THESE.
    SOTD 08312019 ABT#1.gif

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hey Seth!

I'm glad you're back, and it's good to hear you're enjoying the Parker shavette! I've tried both a Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori and the Parker SRX. I like the Parker SRX the best. It feels more natural in hand, and I'm less inclined to draw blood with it.

I've never tried any half-blades. I just snap DE blades in half. I've used Feathers and various Russian DE blades in my Parker. Both work great.

I hope @Trigger and @Edison Carter carter will jump in their shavette recommendations.

Keithmax, RyX, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I use the Feather folding SS with Artist Club Pro Guard blades. These blade as superb and last for many shaves. This Feather system hold the blade tight and the corners are rounded. I did much shopping before I decided the Feather folding type was the best on the market for me. On Amazon the razor is $59 and the blade around $9

5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am a Dovo shavette devotee. It has 3 plastic inserts for different blades. The clear insert can be used for all DE blades split in half or 1/2 blades already made. The black insert is for the Dovo long blades that also need to be bent in half. The green insert is for the Personna or Fromm long hairshaper blades. Using the long blades give you the feeling like you are shaving with a traditional straight. Be warned, the Dovo shavette can be very unforgiving, but since you are an experienced shavette shaver, then you shouldn't have a problem. Go on YouTube to see shavers using the Dovo shavette with the 3 different inserts to get a better handle on it! I have over 100 Dovo shavette shaves and I never will get another shavette brand. It is that good! Hoewever,YMMV! Good luck choosing another shavette!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Keithmax, pvtbanks, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I love the Kamisori style, and I’ve been interested in the Feather line up. I really enjoy their DE blades, so imagine the shavette blades are just as fantastic. Thanks!

7. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

The Parker SRX you sent me is an amazing razor. I honestly don’t know that I can find one better. But wet shaving is an addiction and it’s so hard not to want something new:angry032:

8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I will definitely look into the Dovo’s, I’ve seen tons of positive things on here about them. I’m going to check out some YouTube videos later!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm pretty sure it was Blair @b1hart that took the scales off his Feather shavette transforming it into a kamisori style. That could give two options from one blade holder.

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Hi Seth,
    My real name is Bill. I have and use 2 Focus Shavettes.

The Focus R21 Evolution, about $14

20190910_094642-1.jpg

And more recently the Focus R28 Slim Al. About $60

20191005_180517-1.jpg

I like each for different reasons. And like yourself GSB is preferred.

I came to shavettes from straights and find a lot to like in shavettes. I once asked a long time shavette user about differences in performance, and it was his opinion that not much existed.

Both of the tools I use are a bit lighter than the Parker. For an individual who likes the 'heft in hand' that can be an issue.

There is a YouTuber by the name of Jeffrey Smith you may find helpful, I have. He demonstrates quite an assortment.

Happy shaves

Keithmax, pvtbanks, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great video Bill! Thanks for sharing that. I'll also remember how his mustache looks and try to keep mine in better trim. ;)

12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

For Kamisori style razors, I prefer the CJB to the Feather. The blade clip is narrower and allows me a better cutting angle.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/produ...yle-shavette-uses-feather-artist-club-blades/

I also really enjoy my Weck Sextoblades. They use hair shaper blades, and they give me the closest feel to a straight razor. They only use the hair shaper blades, bit I get quite a few shaves out of each.

Finally, for a basic half blade shavette, I like the Magic. It's cheap, it's basic, and it works. @BamaSamurai turned me onto them, and I've had no complaints.

As for half blades, I've always preferred to use my regular blades and snap them. Better selection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, pvtbanks, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Is that a mustache...... I thought it was a house pet.

:cool:

Keithmax, pvtbanks, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I’ll just say this, there was a time when I felt I would never get the same results from a straight as I did from the Feather SS. When I reluctantly and earnestly learned to use 200k diamond pasted balsa, it transformed every razor and leaving most with the potential of a manufacturered edge. Of course, YMMV depending on technique and patience.

15. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Focus Al - Excellent half blade shavette.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like the IBC razor, mostly for it's looks, and ability to use a variety of blades.

Hard to beat a Weck sextoblade razor for shaving. As mentioned already, it uses the Personna hair shaper blades.

I should order some feather artist club blades and give them a try in the IBC one of these days.

17. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

So let me ask y’all this, since I’ve been pretty happy with the Parker, would you just take the leap up and purchase a nice straight razor? I’ve got one that’s pretty nice. But I’d have to send it off for a sharpen and hone.

Would my money be better spent going down a different venture, than adding to my current one?

Keithmax likes this.
  18. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

If you already have the straight razor, then get it honed and start shaving with it!

Keithmax likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Better spent? Certainly. I've yet to see a straight razor user who doesn't eventually fall for the allure of all the tools requires to keep a straight razor shave ready. And then they start buying old straight razors to restore... Since they have the tools to do it.

And then it starts. "Ooo...that's a nice razor. And only $15 plus shipping."

Pretty soon you are "that guy."
    Thread title: Forget about 7 day sets, what about 365 day sets?

20. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Still got my Parker srx and dovo silver shavette, the dovo is very very light and at first had a "cheap" feel to it but it really is very well made, the parker is far more chunky and has a nice weight...probably my fav shavette. I moved onto straights after a few weeks of using shavettes...I was the shavette master, all bowed before me and straight razor shaving would do the same.....well it never quite turned out like the movie....I wont say I struggled with SR's but the transgression from shavettes was not as easy as I thought, there were days with a little blood and there were days when the sink was red with blood...none of these cuts left any scars thankfully but imo the nicks n cuts seem to bleed more, probably coz they are deeper. It did not put me off at all, it was always a lesson, sr shaving requires some skill, like riding a bike or swimming....it needs to be learnt, the best way to avoid red stuff is to slow everything down, the shavette seemed so easy so I just battered on with the same gusto with the sr.... Very bad idea... So from shevvy to SR just take a lot of time, do cheeks only for a couple of weeks and slowly increase the shave area...this helps you get a muscle memory and helps with a proper grip on the sr. Things slowly improved where I would get maybe one nick a shave then one every 3 shaves then something just falls into place, I had bother with my technique, 3/4 way through my shave the blade would tug and pull...very uncomfortable...so i either gave it a strop...which worked for the rest of the shave, or would just change razors, I spoke to fergiebilly about it and he correctly said my shave angles were likely wrong...so with a bit of care I changed that and lo and behold it worked great, now I dont think about angles, I just automatically do it...muscle memory. I think you need some kind of determination to get thro the learning curve tho...there will be days where it is easier to use the trusted shevvy, no harm in that, but make sure THAT does not take over again, without doubt you will get there, but it takes about 3 months or more...that is not a cut off time lol.. some can master it quicker some slower, just keep at it, the good thing is that during this time you will be able to look back and see improvements, that helps to keep you going...

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.