Shaving Myths We've All Heard

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Oct 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Neither does anyone using a SR...

However

A Straight Razor used competently, honed and stropped to YOUR face, is the most comfortable shave you will get..

I do hold that to be true :D

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was going to get mad if I didn't see this. The only proven scientific way to minimize pore appearance (without make-up) is through laser treatment.

Hot towel to "open" the pores is another fictional favorite.

Edit: Zinc (zamak) alloy razors are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. They can be 'good.' But they have inherent weaknesses. Zamak is brittle, and can break if dropped on a hard surface. It also corrodes when exposed to water and oxygen (if the plating fails).

Once cast, the quicker it goes from casting to polishing, to plating, the better. If the polishing job sucks, the plating will fail. Older zamak razors tend to be better polished and plated than modern ones, which is why older zamak razors are still around.

It's cheaper to manufacture than brass, and can be a decent alternative...but it's not better than brass for razors.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Me personally, wanting a BBS shave does involve two passes with touch up in most cases. Once in a while, two passes will work.

4. jimjo1031

I agree as my best shaves were done by a barber with a straight razor.

Edison Carter, brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

If we all took as much time as a competent barber, we’d get the same result. For years I was shaving too fast to get a quality shave.

6. jimjo1031

I could never go ATG very well. But that's because of nerve damage in my hands.

7. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Oz, I agree, but I find that if I bloom a soap (not a cream or croap, of course) for just ten or 15 seconds, it softens its surface enough to enable me to load my brush quickly, and I don't waste product.

8. Carson West

OK, then that's the difference between us.

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

DE shaving saves you money?

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy097::happy102::rofl:

BigD, Jim99, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

:)

RyX likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

the slim was the last all brass razor ending in 68..the slim 'crat in 70.the flare tip in 65 ish

RyX and Enrico like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, but they didn't switch to Zamak. They just added nylon and aluminum. The bones of their TTO razors remained brass until the end. Gillette toyed with Zamak, and then embraced plastics.

brit, Jim99, ghostlife and 1 other person like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In an infinite number of parallel worlds where DE razors are used, one of them surely saves people money.

...and this world ain't it.

Enrico, brit, Kilgore Trout and 2 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

"Van Der Hagen Ice Tempered Stainless Steel DE blades are horrible."

I see them in the stores, even have a tuck. Haven't tried them out since I have other blades that are acceptable or recommended. I'm curious to know The Truth, but not so much that I want to have a bad shave to prove or dispelTthe Myth. I think the reputation is partly due to the easy availability to New Wet Shavers who apply cart habits using an unfamiliar new DE razor . I bought the store brand generics instead - Personna Reds.

brit and Jim99 like this.
  16. Carson West

They were made of brass? Then I was misinformed by the same kind of myth I complain about here.

brit and RyX like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

yes,fair enough...:).i don't think any of the tto had any zamak..just the techs..

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In the later years, the "blade adjustment tray" was made of black nylon, and the main handle tubing was (I believe) made of aluminum.

Some of the British TTO's used steel and alumimum as well. Steel was a wartime substitution (Korean War and WWII) and the aluminium ones were purpose built lightweight (mild) razors. Those usually had aluminum handles and doors, but the rest was brass.

Interesting note: I have yet to hear of those nylon pieces breaking on any Gillette razor.

brit likes this.
  19. Carson West

PoM, I'll bet you know more about this stuff than the current president of Gillette.

RyX, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Everything I know about Gillette razors, I learned from forums like these. And there's people who know way more than me. It's the incremental gains I treasure the most, like @gorgo2 spotting the one tiny difference that finally allowed us to identify the American Aristocrat Jr. without a box. That was a cool moment, as some members here had one of these, and saw their "common super speed with maybe a factory error?" tranform into a rarer shaving tool.

I remember when Aristocrat Jr's were still called "double ring rockets" because nobody knew what they were actually called. We take it for granted that we can just browse the internet to find old advertisements rather than going to a library and checking out their microfiche reader to look at old newspapers.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    gssixgun, RyX and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.