Minimalism

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Steveclarkus, Oct 8, 2019.

1. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Another thing I would have to mention is to take absolute full advantage of samples. Most suppliers have samples where you can get a good half a dozen or more uses out of.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Forum minimalism isn't really all that minimalist. I'm really pretty low key with shaving any more and only use a few razors, two brushes, etc. Compared to many here, I am minimalist, but I'm not really compared to a someone with one razor, pack of blades, soap, etc.

3. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Not to mention the mass market A/Ss are readily available and cheap. I could easily use Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Old Spice or Clubman for the rest of the my life and not feel like I missed out on anything but not using artisan aftershaves.
    The same goes for me with soap too. I could easily give up artisan soaps and just use VDH, Colionel Conk, Arko, Cella or Derby sticks and be perfectly happy.

Frijolero, Shaver X, RyX and 2 others like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

No purging for me. I’ve acquired a good cross section of vintage DE, SE, and straight razors.

Soaps came from what @Steveclarkus no longer wanted.

I’ve hone and continue to maintain all SR with films, a couple stones, and 200k diamond paste.

brit, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Given the variety and history of straight razors and all the new artisans it’s a hard one to kick.

Frijolero, Erchy, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I remember a show & Tell of a fellow on one of the forums and his rule was he designated one drawer for shaving gear and that was it. If it did not fit he had to get rid of something else and that is how he regulated his habits of buying. I thought I was a minimalist but it is clear know that was a mirage.
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Frijolero, Shaver X, Erchy and 3 others like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have found myself recently moving old Pucks into the shower, some, especially the ones made with cheaper FOs and not EOs I can't even tell what smell they ever were..

Gotta admit they are rather conditioning in the shower :D

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ve been good on soaps and only have maybe a one year supply on hand. My RAD and BAD ended last year. In fact, I’ve pared down my razor collection to only 40 razors (combo of DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors). I’ll be selling off/giving away several more soon, but will need to make some tough decisions once I reach below the 30 razor mark. I like the variety and have too many excellent razors in my den.

Frijolero, gssixgun and brit like this.
  9. Erchy

Erchy New Member

Ive got 3 razors.

Merkur 34c
    Single edge hawk
    Ralf aust straight.

3 creams.....

Enough for me!

I went down the rabbit hole far to many times. Spent so much money.

I now just look forward to a good shave and happy with what i have. I might buy a cream soon when one of the others start emptying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I think too many people over-analyze minimalism. Select one razor, one soap, one brush, and one aftershave. Put everything else in a nice box under the sink cabinet. Congratulations, you're a minimalist! Feel free to change out any item for one in the box at any time.

Frijolero, wristwatchb, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I have tried a bunch of things, particularly soaps, creams and blades, but serially. I never had much more on hand than most shavers worldwide. What I have now:
    • Edwin Jagger DE89
    • Gillette Slim adjustable
    • Vie Long horsehair brush
    • Omega boar travel brush
    • A soap or cream
    • A bottle of aftershave or aftershave balm
    • 10 - 200 blades (I order blades in bulk because it is mucho cheaper)
    So a primary and backup razors, home and travel brushes, and only what is required for the immediate future. I'm just trying to get a good, affordable shave each morning, and dealing with a lot of extra stuff laying around is a pain in the butt. Occams Razor states that "Entities should not be multiplied without necessity", and in my experience that is true. It keeps life simple, frugal and easier to deal with.

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I would say my Grandfather was a true shaving minimalist. He would never have thought to indulge as we do.

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

There aren’t any old fellows at the nursing home saying ‘Darn it! I wish I hadn’t gone to Paris all those times, what a waste!’

No soap or cream is expensive except relative to other soaps and creams. No razors are really expensive except compared to other razors, unlike other hobbies such as photography, cars, etc. A tub of Acqua di Parma, Martin de Candre, or Santa Maria Novella? Give me two, they’ll last about a year of daily use and are cheaper than one good meal at a decent chain restaurant. And they and their peers are very pleasant to use. I’m not going to live forever, so why not enjoy the good shaving stuff?

14. brit

brit in a box

well said..

Jim99 and Steve56 like this.