October 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2019.

?

And your OCtober plans include..........?

1. Using some great Open Comb razors and the Mighty Fat every Monday/Wednesday/Friday!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Using some great Open Comb razors but no Fat. Something else on that end.

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Open Combs and the Fat on Tuesday/Thursday - just to be difficult.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Still gonna shave with straights!

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Whatever I choose because I just roll that way!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  6. Trick or Treating for cookies and ice cream!!

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great report, Rick.

brit, 9nein9, RyX and 6 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very nice Rick.

The 92FS is a fine pistol. I carried one for years. Make sure the mags are in good shape. If not order a rebuild kit. If the trigger is gritty or too heavy in double action mode you can replace the spring to smooth it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    MrEE, brit, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Patrick. I’m feeling a bit better this afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    brit, 9nein9, RyX and 6 others like this.
  4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

No judgement at all, Chris, except for approval. Not that you need it, but I applaud your seeking out help. You are doing the wise thing, and you are in my prayers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit, 9nein9, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  5. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Thursday OCtober 10

Ok, so on Monday I started using my European made vintage razors and I'm going to continue with European made razors for the next week or so. Today, I shaved with my British single ring, British Patent #28763.02, serial #H105553. Based on the serial #, I think this was made around 1915 which makes it more than a century old. I'm not sure what the "H" in the serial # means or if the serial # is actually "serial". H could mean that it was made in Britain for another country like Germany or that it was made in Germany for Germany. I don't know where it was made or what country it was made for. All I know is I have it and it's a GREAT shaving razor for 104+/- years old.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
    Soap - Cold River Soap Works Glide Morning Ghost
    Brush - Dubl Duck #2 Boar
    Blade - Feather HI SS (7)
    Razor - 1915+/- Gillette British Single Ring
    Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Cold River Soap Works Morning Ghost A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out tomorrow, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems there.

I did a 2 pass shave today. First pass, WTG was DFS and I could have stopped there. I really liked how this razor was shaving me. It felt very solid, a little blade feel which I liked. So I did a second pass XTG on my face but WTG again on my neck area as I wasn't going to try to get really close there as I can't stretch my skin there. Comparing this razor to my other single rings, this might be a half notch below my 1906 that I shaved with on 10/1 but shaved and felt better than the other single rings and the Bulldog. Seventh shave with this blade and it still feels ok. I thought the brush might be a little too floppy but it wasn't really. The soap and brush worked up a real nice lather. This soap and A/S has a real nice complex scent. Earthy and woodsy but at different times as I was shaving, I could smell some different scents, like it was changing a bit. I'm not sophisticated enough to know what each scent I picked up was but there were several different scents I smelled at different times during the shave. I hope the same happens with the A/S too. If it does, I'll look into getting the EdT (if they make one).

Overall, a really good shave. Have a few French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
    [​IMG]

- Ken

brit, 9nein9, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice shave, Ken!

kjbarth, 9nein9, RyX and 4 others like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and photo Ken. Love the brush.

kjbarth, brit, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great picture and report, Ken!
    Hoping your hand comes around quickly.

kjbarth, brit, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  9. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Neat setup Keith!

Very nice everything Jim....digging it all!

Great shave, report, and perspective Terry!

A great shave Dale.

Really like that 'Revere' Perry. Purty! It's not even mid month yet....and for me, MWF on MWF.....I'm feeling SC claustrophobic already.....but I'll endure!

Great image Daniel! Reopening weepers. No fun. Light pressure. I'll even touch/swipe the area with a finger to remind me it's covered with shave cream (especially when I'm using an open edge).

Mmmm.....Proraso. Great shave Joe!

kjbarth, brit, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all
    I found out I had to watch the grandson after I fixed a furnace. Was able to sneak in some squirrel hunting this morning. The two that showed themselves were great for lunch. With carrots, potatoes and onions, of course.
    Read thru the posts, seen all of the wonderful things going on. Found out I'm a perfectly normal shaving weirdo, amung other things.

Want to thank these gents...

Thanks everyone!

Got a Stirling order with a new soap I haven't tried yet. Thats on the agenda for tommorw.
    Read thru over 200 posts, can't remember everything. Trying to watch the grandkids and his friends while another lunch volunteer is barking in the trees. Guess he'll just have to wait till next time. ;)

All
    thanks and have a great day.
    tp

kjbarth, brit, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Blair!

brit, 9nein9, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  12. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Thank you, Blair! Skipping a day would probably be the best thing to do now. Might do it on the weekend, just to let the skin heal.

brit, 9nein9, RyX and 7 others like this.
  13. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Awesome setup and image Clint. That brush...gorgeous!

Very nice shave and report Paul!

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet....still catching up. That brush, both handle and knot really look like a Zenith product. And....on their metal handles, the name rubs off very early in lifespan. Popular design though, just a thought. Love the gear and setup Tommy!

kjbarth, brit, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I guess Symmetrical Pottery bowled you over, Jim!

brit, 9nein9, RyX and 5 others like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Blair
    The soap lathering thing is still in trials.
    The fact that it works, on different types of brushes, is somewhat curious.
    tp

16. Trigger

Nivea ASB is great because it doesn't compete with any scents and really does moisturize your skin.

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Yes they did!
    I'm not strictly a bowl latherer, I am pretty random about it but I see myself trending more toward bowl lathering with my pretty new acquisitions. It's probably time to break the scuttle out as well.

9nein9, RyX, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  18. Trigger

:cool:

brit, 9nein9, RyX and 5 others like this.
  19. Trigger

Glad that you found out what it was and that you are taking steps to correct it.

20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I'll bet several of us are shaving with a OneBlade this weekend.....mine's here tomorrow. Maybe I'll pull a @jluc and shave twice tomorrow.

Nice setup and shave times two Jim!

Texas has turned into California. It doesn't even take snow to produce gridlock. Rain...as in light water drops will do it now. Idiots (oops, I mean drivers) turn on their flashers in sprinkles now!

Another favorite video clip from Henry Cho. Talking about snow in the South: Henry Cho - The Great Bread Phenomenon

Awesome image/shave/report Joseph. That jaw pass with an open edge, for me, super slick SC and a baby's breath blade pressure required! I found I can work it quite easily by changing my grip to holding the blade (not the tang) with 3 fingers.

Very nice as always Gary!

kjbarth, brit, RyX and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.