Hello from New Jersey

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Maxim B, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

Hello everyone! My name is Max. I'm 39 years old. Thank you for accepting me as a member! Me and my wife have a small dance studio. I got tired of going through different types of cartriges and electric shaving , everything is very painful. Shaving every 3~4 days because of that. My daughter complaining , and calling me a porcupine. I really want to try and learn the art of wet shaving!

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

Maxim B likes this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Max, welcome to The Shave Den!

Check out the 30 Day Rule / Focus thread in the Shave School. IMO, that is the best place to get started. We're all there working on our technique and helping each other.

What is your current setup: razor, brush, soap or cream, and brand of blade? The good news is that you'll progress more quickly if you stick with the same set up for the first 30 days or so.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Maxim B and RyX like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

Maxim B likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome from Baton Rouge. This is a great place to learn the art of the wetshave.

Maxim B likes this.
  6. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

Thank you!

7. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome from Maryland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxim B likes this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, Max.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maxim B likes this.
  9. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

My set up now is super simple. It's Schick cartridges and trader joe brand shaving cream. I'm total noob in this. My grandfather was shaving with straight razor, but i was always affraid of that.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you would like a VDH mug brush and soap starter kit I would be happy to send one your way. Once you decide on a razor type I am sure someone can find one for you to start with. I will say start with SE or Injectors. But I am openly bias.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Max @ Maxim B! You've fallen in with a bunch of folks who will share advice, opinions, even actual information. Ask questions! There are so many options it may seem overwhelming when you start choosing your gear. It's common to try several different types of razors, blades, brushes, and soaps.

Coming off cartridge style either a Single Edge (SE), or Double Edge (DE) will be the obvious choice. Between those two styles, you'll see both Vintage and Modern. Your choice can be shaded by the texture of your facial hair & your budget. If you view the photos in the Shave of the Day thread and see something you like the looks of, ask questions!

Similar decisions when it comes to making your lather. Most of us use a brush and some kind of soap or cream. There are thousands of soaps to chose from with new products hitting the market weekly. Most are "good enough", some are fantastic, and a few can be avoided. If you use a cologne it may be possible to purchase a matching soap and aftershave where the maker had duplicated the scent. The other part of that is a brush with, again, many options. Old fashioned styles using boar bristle, or badger or horse hair are till quite popular. Synthetic bristles are becoming popular too. Many folks are happy with off the shelf products like Barbasol canned shave foam. You've got some choosing to do.

Once you've started gathering your gear, there's a group of coaches and cheerleaders in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group that enjoy helping new shavers getting started. It's so full of folks right now it's hard to keep up with the daily posts. But if you have question about how to get an irritation free beard reduction, they are all about it.

AGHisBBS, brit, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very good advise.

RyX and Maxim B like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

Maxim B likes this.
  14. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

I appreciate your help guys. I was looking at parker or merkur brands. They have models that fit my budget. I'm loking at around 30ish for the razor. I didn't realize before, that market is so overwhelming!

AGHisBBS, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Maxim B likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Maxim B likes this.
  17. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Welcome! I somewhat new myself.

I started wet shaving in January and previously I only shaved about once a week. Shaving was always painful. Now I shave everyday. I even shave while camping or on days I never leave the house.

All I can say is you won't know what you like until you start trying things and your preferences will change a lot as your skill improves.

Have you purchased anything yet?

Maxim B likes this.
  18. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

Thank you very much! I would love to try that.

19. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

That is amazing! I still looking around. I found maggard razors site has good prices for complete sets. Still researching about razors and other stuff, and that is overwhelming . A lot information, my head is spinning. I almost bought baili set from maggard, but people saying quality is so so. Blade aligment is of, etc. Now deciding between parker or merkur razor, and tester pack of blades.

20. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I have several Merkur and Parker razors. Basically Parker makes lower cost copies of the most popular models and you might as well spend less since you have no idea what you'll like in 6 months.

Honestly, I would just get a Baili BD179, a small blade sample pack, and a Proraso Travel Kit and start shaving for about $35. Then you can branch out from there.

However if your mind was set on a Parker or Merkur, they both make quality razors.

Maxim B likes this.