Hello from New Jersey

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Maxim B, Oct 12, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Welcome from the Old North State! aka North Carolina!!

shavehandmade and Maxim B like this.
  2. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

Thank you! I keep reading everything . This is an amazing place, with huge base of information and knowledge!

RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  3. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

I
    I think , I'll give baili a try. Will place an order tonight

S Barnhardt likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Maxim B likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den! Feel free to ask any and all questions you may have. Btw, I’m also from the Great Garden State.

Maxim B likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Cool. I will send you a message soon to get the address to mail it too.

Maxim B and RyX like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First off welcome aboard and secondly don't discount vintage razors. Some the best shavers are still in the vintage realm and very affordable like the Gillette slim which happens to be an adjustable or the Gillette Super Speeds which most the modern one piece razors are copies of design wise anyways. They are easy enough to clean up a disinfect if you are worried about catching cooties from using someone else's razor.

If I knew then what I know now about razors I would have never gotten into De razors and shaved almost exclusively with injectors or SE razors.

If you want an injector to try I have 2 that I think are really good for a beginner to cut their teeth on. These are both Schick razors and produced between 1964 and 1967.

One is referred to as a J2 and looks like this.
    j2.jpg

The other is referred to as an I1 and looks like this.
    I2a.jpg

The only difference is the handle, they shave the same otherwise so it would be a matter of preference on which type of handle you'd prefer. Pm me if you are interested and you can keep which ever razor you want, I'll also throw in a blade or 2 to try with the razor and explain how to best use them. If you want to sterilize the razor head before first using just dip it in isopropyl alcohol for about 10 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Maxim B likes this.
  8. Maxim B

Maxim B New Member

Thank you very much! I would love to try that. I greatly appreciate all your help! Can you, please, explain to me what is "pm'? I not only new to real razor shaving, but also to communication on the forum.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Pm is private message. You can click on my profile name in the post on the left which will bring you to my profile page. From there you can choose information then start a private conversation. Once you click on that then you can send a private message to me or any other member by doing the same.

10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Welcome neighbor. NJ here as well. Like you I had used cartridges for most of my life. About 4 years ago the wife bought me a brush and some cream, oil and balm. Not knowing how to use the stuff I went online and found the shaving forums. It really is a trial and error kind of thing because what works for one person doesn't always work for the next person. Start with one double edge, a few blades, some good quality cream, a brush and just learn how to use it. I was lucky in that my first shave was so much better than any shave I've had with a cartridge. Just be careful as this can quickly turn into an obsession where you find yourself buying all sorts of stuff and gear. Sometimes that's necessary in order to see what works for you and what doesn't. That's the journey. Just enjoy it and ask questions as often as they come up. You will never be without answers to your questions here.

Maxim B likes this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

Maxim B likes this.
  12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Welcome Max, glad you've joined our merry band!

Maxim B likes this.
  13. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

hello from belgium :)

Maxim B likes this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie!

Maxim B likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @Maxim B glad you decided to join us at TSD.

:eatdrink013:

Maxim B likes this.
  16. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

welcome from Washington state

Maxim B likes this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you

Maxim B likes this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Maxim B

I hope you enjoy it here. I used twin blade carts all my life and all my life I suffered when shaving, lots of irritation and razor burn. I HATED shaving sooooo much!! Then I discovered THE SHAVE DEN and "traditional" shaving, what a blessing! I use an Ikon slant head and I now get the closest shaves of my life (I'm 60+) with ZERO irritation or razor burn. I hope "traditional" shaving works as well for you.:happy088:

Maxim B likes this.
  19. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Hello Max and welcome to TSD. I'm also from the Garden State.

Maxim B likes this.
  20. shavehandmade

shavehandmade New Member

Hello!

Maxim B likes this.