The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Brand new to straights and picked a Wostenholm up the other day to restore (in another thread). Then I realized that really I need it professionally honed so that when I learn to hone and strop I have a point of comparison. This means I "need" more razors! Woohoo more reasons for my RAD!

Off to the flea market I go whilst trying to remember what little I know about frowns, smiles, hone wear, chips, brands, and on and on....

Out of what I saw, I think these were the best.

1. Boker King Cutter. May have a bit of a smile and too much hone wear toward the toe? No idea, but trying.

2. DILLE from Solingen. Not much online info on this one. The location is renowned though. Mostly got it for practice and the scales. I see some hone wear or at least a strong bevel...hard for me to know the difference so far.

Both have etchings which will cause me issues and the DILLE logo is in gold so that will be a challenge.

Not sure on what a good price is but 15 for the Boker and 20 for the DILLE.

Any thoughts on these as practice restoration blades is welcome. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful pickups @mvd. I think you did great!

Full hollows are excellent blades to learn honing on, and that Boker will be a treat.

Maybe a slight frown on the Dille, but that can be rectified or honed with some different strokes.

To keep the gold wash, maybe just try a Q-tip with alcohol. Any polish and you will lose it, and I personally love how it looks.

Excellent finds!
    Tom

Keithmax, Billyfergie, mvd and 2 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

A couple of fun ones in the mailbox that I felt went under the radar...
    355DB9FE-BE8D-4759-84A6-6008268B752C.jpeg
    The top one having the Square and Compass mark of John Barber. Definitely a regrind at some point over the last 200 years, but with the stub tail and “Patent Tempered Steel” on the reverse, I’m fairly confident it was an early mid 1800’s razor.
    CB15A727-C7B1-4037-B81D-EE4C03FA2FA6.jpeg
    and I think it was a very nicely done regrind.

Now the bottom one is a Griffin Cutlery XX Carbo-Magnetic 60... Electrically hardened in the adverts to make it last a lifetime :). I normally see these in a 5/8-11/16 size, but this one didn’t fit those proportions in the pictures. I was happily surprised, as this one lands in my favorite size wheelhouse...
    61E4E17F-D757-4746-9F72-996755F6736A.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

RezDog, Keithmax, Chuck Naill and 7 others like this.
  4. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I know this is not a SR but thought some would enjoy seeing. A C.V. Heljestrand Seven Day Set imported by Magnus Kindal of Paris. Complete with all parts, blades, strop, and directions for use on onion paper

A5938DCA-F165-4E1B-9D7E-4C31923222A5.jpeg 5AD45AB3-A76A-4E11-9B93-74129B974A57.jpeg 78D5DCB3-1FD8-4BAF-8543-8CADDB35FFAB.jpeg AD2A0880-63FE-4B2B-B3CE-4DD93D8AD4E8.jpeg 41846B29-80A6-46A7-A37D-6453F14AE186.jpeg 40C59281-B3BF-49EB-980E-FA7434DAF1EC.jpeg

Karl G, RezDog, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Those Nordic Hollow Ground SEs are Superb Shavers...Phenomenal..The Blades Just get Honed the Same as an SR as Above..Nothing Different..Some have Argued the Stropping Handle Should be Used when Honing a Blade..I Dont Have that Opinion..I Have Honed Many of these Blades for myself & Others & I Use One Layer of Tape for Honing Em...The Same as this Rolls Blade Above..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Keithmax, brit and 5 others like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Billy, I tried your technique when you mentioned it a few years back and honed a couple of Kampfe blades. It worked perfectly!

Karl G, brit, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

Billyfergie, TestDepth and kjbarth like this.
  8. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Same procedure here also, only thing extra I do is that I put a bamboo skewer under the tape. Helps my fat fingers and gives extra control

Thank you

Karl G, Billyfergie, brit and 3 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Costa & Sons
    Boston Mass.
    Made By:
    M.M.Christensen
    Brockton Mass.
    6/8th Full Hollow.

It needs some polishing, and cleaning up. It was only $13 including shipping.

PA141194.JPG

PA141195.JPG

Karl G, RezDog, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

That HMC should be a great shaver when honed.Steel used ore from Pennsylvania. So the Steel will be very tight grained and take a very kee b edge easily.Enjoy.

11. DaltonGang

Ah, H.M. not M.M.?? Any info on the company??

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

Filarmonica 13
    Novodur
    Jose Monserrat Pou
    Spain

Well, I might have bitten off, more than I can chew, with this one. It had a large chip and crack, in the blade, and is 13/16th, for now. I figured, for $20, this was about the only way I would be able to afford a Filarmonica razor. I sure hope I don't make it worse. Wish me luck.

PA161198.JPG

PA161199.JPG

Karl G, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yer Some Man Scott for Purchasing Some Serious Damaged Razors Scott..:happy102:

:eatdrink047:

Billy..:chores016:

14. TestDepth

I was eyeing that one myself Scott... I would have bid against you if I didn’t space on the time. :) I love that price!

I was thinking of shortening it a bit, turning it into a round point, and keeping most of the width with all of the etch. something like this...
    6343B7CF-8C4E-4218-B863-34E287F37666.jpeg
    Just an option I was debating.
    Tom

Karl G, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Thats an option, but I'm just going to take my time, and grind the width down. If the crack was closer to the toe, i would shorten the length. If I am able to do it, I should still have a solid 11/16th inch left, with all the etching in place.

Karl G, BaylorGator, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  16. TestDepth

:happy088: Sounds like a good plan to me. Love the cool challenges.

brit likes this.
  17. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

The crack seems twice as deep as the chip.

If you make a shorty, you will have a short Filarmonica.
    I believe that many blades acquire this type of damage
    while they are still fairly new, before the owner has learned
    to be careful.

If you take down the edge, you will have a stiffer blade
    than what a new Filarmonica is supposed to be.
    You might even have something approaching a wedge.

18. DaltonGang

Naaaa. Plenty of hollow ground left.

BaylorGator and Billyfergie like this.
  19. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

They were a small little known Cutlery company .They operated out of New Bedford and Brockton MA

They also imported Germany Razors early when the company was founded .The company went out of Business in 1977 .But Straight production ceased long before they closed their doors ..Not sure how many razors they made .All the ones I have shave great .

20. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Finally! It has come time to share the custom of 3 special artisans that have pulled off (to me) the greatest razor I have in my den. A collaboration between SnailForge(Bruno van Dooren), Charlie Lewis of Lewis Razors & Randy Paquette of First Canadian Shave. This beast is just spectacular. Reading through all of the debates on Wootz steel I can assure you gentlemen that the edge this steel can take is fantastic
    Razor: Lewis/ SnailForge/ Fcss 10/8 custom Wootz[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, RezDog, Keithmax and 8 others like this.