Shavette conversations!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by pvtbanks, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Do you find the IBC able to shave equivalent on both sides? It almost looks like the mechanism knob could get in the way.

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

One nice straight $100-$250
    Basic strop $50
    Professional honing $25 (lasts 60 shaves, big YMMV)

I vote send out the one you have

pvtbanks, Keithmax and Trigger like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, well stated. That said, there is a satisfaction I receive using a 120 year old razor for a daily chore. The same goes for restoring a vintage fountain pen so that it can again be used for daily writing needs.

In my shop I have many tools I rarely use, but when I need them, I have them. It is the same with honing tools. While some men never stop collecting, others like me get what they want and stop, just daily stropping and using.

I use films and stone and diamond paste to prepare and maintain. Films are less than $30. A couple of stones will cost more. Films are surely enough to suffice.

pvtbanks, Keithmax and Trigger like this.
  4. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I am now looking at shavettes (@TSD! :angry019: )

Any suggestions not including Dovo, Feather (Too expensive).?

pvtbanks, Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Only costs a little bit more to go first class as my uncle, the horse trader, used to say. The Feather SS system is unsurpassed from what I have read and seen from other brands. The propriety blades are long lasting similar to Schick injector or GEM PTFE blades. The holder is both rounded and made to depress the skin for a smooth, comfortable result. The Pro Guard Blades are a good starter blade.

6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I also use films because it is less expensive than stones and it is also idiot proof to get good results.

pvtbanks and Keithmax like this.
  7. Trigger

:happy093:

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The knob is recessed. No possible way to interfere with the shave. That was a concern I had as well when I bought mine. Unfortunately, mine was part of the very first run of 110, so I didn't have reviews to look at. It's a bit more 'flashy' than a Kai or Feather Artist Club razor.

The Kai Captain is usually about $50-60 cheaper than a Feather DX. The quality isn't as good either, but it's still Japanese quality, and in this case, is quite good.

If you want a good razor that takes multiple blade styles, buy the Dovo. If after doing that, you still like switching between blades, buy an IBC razor.

If you know you only want to use Feather artist club blades, buy a Kai or Feather.

If you want to try a "real" straight razor with a wedge grind blade, go with a vintage weck sextoblade. You can look for one with the blade guard attachment, but for wet shavers, the guard is dangerous and a hassle. The guard only protects one side, so when you switch sides of the face, you must pause to slide the guard off, flip it, and reinstall it. Mid shave - with a blade installed. I think I used the guard twice before permanently ditching it for shaving. It will help with the resale price, and so will a case, but neither thing does anything for the shave.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    pvtbanks, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  9. Trigger

My first and only shavette was the Dovo. I like it because you can use different DE blades and the black and green inserts allow the longer Dovo, and Personna headshaper blades, respectively. Using the longer blades gives the shaver great traditional straight razor simulation that would make the transition to straights very easy.

10. BlueShaver

Enabling complete!

Ordered this Artists Club Shavette copy from Ali Express for $8. (On sale from $15)

[​IMG]

Takes those long feather blades apparently which seems to be a better experience than the DE shavettes?

I am going to be scared s***less using this lol :shocked003:

11. Trigger

You will be fine. Check out Straight Razor/Shavette guide for newbies under Straight Razors for tips.

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Send out your current one for honing and see if you like it. I can get a great shave from straights, DE, SE and shavettes. But nothing beats the smoothness of a well honed edge.

I was going to suggest a CJB which is a Feather DX clone, but you already found it.

pvtbanks, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  13. BlueShaver

I listened to @Chuck Naill 's advice and read a lot of similar advice here, and on other forums. @PLANofMAN said something similar in previous posts and he likes the Weck Sextoblade. I got the impression that a long blade shavette gives a better straight feel and performance than a normal DE shavette and this helped me zone in on a model. I had looked at the Vanta and Universal shavettes but being DE based, i discounted them.
    I am a fan if vintage and so did go looking for a Weck but outside of the US, they are scarce and seem to be more of the hair shapers than sextoblades. So i started looking at new. I have got stuff off aliexpress before (notably Yaqi) and i have yet to have any issues so i thought about looking for long blade shavettes there. This lead me to feather razors and then the artist clubs clones. One tip for Aliexpress is that you never go for the 1st one you see. Stuff is usual sold by multiple merchants which is when i noticed the Feather clone on sale. Chuck in a few coupons and my $15 clone of a $70 razor is on its way for $8.

If i like it enough, i will buy the original and PIF this.

Thats a long way off mind. I may use it once and put it in razor chokey!

14. Trigger

Out of the gate, I would just do the cheeks and then finish with a safety. As you get more comfortable, then do the whole face WTG. Use short, deliberate strokes to minimize nicks and cuts. On landing the razor, keep it flat against your face and gradually it lift up to initiate the stroke. Once you hear "buttering toast" or the whiskers are being cut, then you know that you have the right angle and proceed. Don't be timid, but be cautious when starting out with your shavette. Good luck, Jon!

pvtbanks and Edison Carter like this.
  15. BlueShaver

Thanks!

I had a look for some learner videos and guides on TSD, youtube, etc, but i didn't see anything really detailed.

There is however, a fantastic book on TSD for straight razors which i will read.

Exciting tbh

pvtbanks and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Trigger

I also started a thread under the Straight Razor Forum called Straight Razor/Shavette Guide for Newbies! I would suggest you look through it because it has plenty of info from my experiences as well as others.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Weck has had a lot of names over the years. I'm not really sure where the name came from to be honest. The current Weck-like hair shaper are all the same type of razor.

If you google 'hair shaper razor' or 'Diane hair shaper,' you'll find a number of inexpensive stainless steel hair shapers. Most of which include the late model Weck blade removal assist lever.

The copy of a feather you found is most likely a CJB kamisori. The good news is that the razor shaves exactly like a Feather AC. The bad news is that they are prone to break.

pvtbanks, brit, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  18. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

I have a variety of shavettes, but I'll say that may favorites are those that use the AC-style blade. I'd be willing to bet that once you use those, you will be less likely to use half-DE shavettes.

If you want to go "kamisori style" (aka fixed handle), you can't go wrong with the CJB (ebay ~$20) or the Univinlions (aliexpress ~$10) as low-cost alternatives to the genuine Feather or Kai razors
    For folding razors, the Vincent VT1321 (ebay ~$11), the N06R (aliexpress ~$15) or the Rf-29 (shearsdirect ~$20) are a few options.

When I do use a half-DE shavette, I typically use Derby Professional pre-cut half-DE blades. You can get a pack of 100 for only a few bucks if you shop around.

Edison Carter likes this.
  19. Trigger

I have to disagree because I do very well with my Dovo shavette. It also uses hairshaper blades which are almost as long as a regular straight razor. Dovo shavette isn't for everyone, but I will beat anyone with their expensive shavette like a Feather any day of the week.

20. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Once again, this is an example of how YMMV.
    I do have a Dovo shavette. In fact, it was one of the first shavettes I've owned. I wasn't too impressed with it until I bought a green adapter and used shaper blades. I do agree that it delivers a great shave and is certainly an option worth considering.

My comment was not intended to say that AC blades are the best for absolutely everyone. However, it has been my observation that most shavette users that try AC blade razors end up sticking with them. The variety of available blades to suit one's taste is also a plus (mild to aggressive, even guarded).

Regarding cost....as I pointed out, you can pick up a razor that accepts AC blades for as little as $10 (you don't need to buy a $250 Feather DX to get the same shave experience). The blades are comparably priced to Personna shapers, possibly less. I find either type to be well worth the cost, given the long life when cared for properly.

I wouldn't say that AC razors are the only shavette anyone should ever consider, nor would I say that of the Dovo shavette. But my observation (and personal experience) is that most shavette users that try an AC blade shavette will make it their primary razor.

Remember, YMMV.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.