Shaving Myths We've All Heard

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Oct 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Let us unite bretheren and agree to disagree, lest we travel unwittingly toward the depths of unfettered condescention oft found amongst the fellowship of Weasel and Knife.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blah.

brit likes this.
  3. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

So, ya didn't see the humor in that eh? Good enough. Like was posted earlier, it was good while it lasted.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Oh I liked it. First time to hear "weasel and knife" mostly I just call it that Vermin place.

brit likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I remember this when I was a kid. "Don't shave up (ATG) or you'll have to all the time as it'll be harder to get good shaves". Something like that.

brit likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Never heard that. I did hear shaving makes the beard thicker...never saw that happen.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It also might have been, "or you'll have to shave that way all the time". Maybe the same principle of faster beard growth. If I remember correctly, my Dad always shaved WTG, and maybe a little touch up the same way. While probably not BBS, most likely a DFS. He always had a 5 o'clock shadow. I never worried about BBS when using carts, I never could anyway unless I worked at it.

wchnu and brit like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

If you are saying making lather and a blade maintain is technique, I agree. The proper use of a tool and it's proper maintainance is also technique.

Yes, using a SR is a process. Once you get into a routine it's not as much of an effort. You can strop while the water is heating. Once an edge is set, daily stropping and cleaning takes just a few minutes. For me it's been worth it.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  9. Chuck Naill

So, your premise that the tool does not matter is false. Takes both and individual experience to bring it all together, which has been my point all along.

Shaver X and brit like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No, I typed it with Ernie Pyle fingers.

brit likes this.
  11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Pyle was a soldiers' soldier. Gotta go with Pyle.

brit likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Actually the term is, "smooth as a billiard ball." The key difference between the two, other than size, is that billiard balls generally don't have holes for you to stick your booger hooks in.

13. brit

brit in a box

:D

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not remember my Dad shaving. I am thinking it was a one pass thing though.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing but class I say!!

Primotenore and brit like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If the tool functions properly then it does not matter which one is used. With proper technique the end result is the same. The most expensive " I am dumb enough to pay for it" razor will not give a good shave without good technique. Without good technique a shaver will never be at the top of their game. With good technique they can get good shaves from any properly functioning tool.

brit likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That right there is funny.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Reading through here it is easy to see how myths hang around.

mvd and brit like this.
  19. Chuck Naill

or erroneously dispelled....LOL~~

Shaver X, brit and mvd like this.
  20. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Almost. There are those few pieces of gear that are simply beyond the pale. Poor quality control to start with, or damaged later in life. But mostly the differences are exaggerated and are due more to lapses in technique than anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.