New Gillette Ball End Replica Handle from Razor Emporium

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weasel640, Nov 24, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not close.[​IMG]

Enrico, Engblom, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks! I knew you would be on it!

Frijolero, jmudrick and brit like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just received mine. I was unable to unscrew either the top or the ball end from the tube. Below is a vintage ball end handle that has a mass of 28g. Then the RE ball end handle that also has a mass of 28g.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here they are side by side.

[​IMG]

Below is my Gillette Flat Bottom New made in England with a ball end handle. It has a mass of 60g.

[​IMG]

Next, I put the RE ball end handle on it and of course, it has a mass of 60g, too. The handle is very handsome and has great knurling.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, Enrico, brit and 5 others like this.
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Odd. I wonder how a "solid" handle weighs the same as a hollow one. Something different about the ball?

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As Matt has said it's hollow, threaded rather than press-fit. Solid should have "".

brit likes this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

It's hollow.
    IMG_20181130_114140-01.jpeg IMG_20181130_114116-01.jpeg

Enrico and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yep. I did the same thing with a paper clip. Thanks for the pic. I almost took pictures, but I was too lazy.

I am going to be shaving with my new Stahly next week. Monday, I will be using the original handle. Then I will be using different ones. This RE ball end one will probably be used on Tuesday.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Not only that, but the Ball End handle on the Old Types was much larger than the ones they put on the Techs. Dimensions were completely different. I would welcome slapping one of these on my Old Type heads. Only I've already got some Ikon Bulldog handles to do that. At this point I'm not looking for more hardware. If find the Ikon to be superior to the original Old Type Ball End handles, cracks or no cracks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Jayaruh, Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Here are some pictures with my Property of US Army Gillette razor head. I got it in a lot with no handle. The RE handle really dresses it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

brit, Frijolero and MntnMan62 like this.
  10. Cearball

Cearball Member

Screenshot_20190529-173859.png Screenshot_20191015-010220.png

I like this spare ABC empire on my old types.

I also use it on flat bottom news & techs.

Unfortunately it won't fit the recess on normal long comb news/techs so I either use a standard tech fat handle or ball end.

brit likes this.