Is there a good & affordable SE injector razor available for purchase nowadays?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by S Barnhardt, Oct 15, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I've been tossing over gettting myself an SE Injector as a change, from time to time, to/from my Harry's Truman I use now. I've bid on a few on Ebay, but they end up going higher than I want to put into one. I realize that may be part of my problem. I expect the price to be too low, perhaps. ?? I've searched Amazon and the only "new" injector is a Shave Classic that the reviews run from great to "the spawn of the devil." There's enough of the latter to leave me thinking I don't want one of those. I've "Googled" new injector razor and came up with two so far. The same Shave Classic from Amazon and a stainless one called a Supply at $79, I think it was. So, in an effort to widen my search, does anyone know of a good, affordable injector razor I might pursue? Still bidding on Schicks online, so maybe I'll get lucky. Or not??

:thanks:

RyX, johnnyflake and Terry like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

What do you want???
    G8, E5 ???

S Barnhardt and johnnyflake like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I consider the E2 Schick to be the finest overall “safety” razor ever produced. It’s both an excellent detail and full face shaver. I got both of mine for $7 each and is a non celluloid Bakelite.

The second best and a twist to turn type is the GEM Micromatic also in brass.

brit, S Barnhardt and johnnyflake like this.
  4. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

A great shaving, Schick Injector Razor, that usually can be had for cheap, in very good plus condition, is the L1. It is very much under rated and gives a very comfortable shave.

Edison Carter, RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

What do you want???
    G8, E5 ???

tp

Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.
  6. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

My taste don't run to one over he other as it stands at the time. I just like the look of what I've seen folks call the "butterscotch" handle. I'm looking for one in good condition, that hasn't lost a bunch of it's plating, and will serve me as a "user" for a while. I don't mean to trivialize, I just like them all right now and would be as proud of one as I would the other. Maybe that doesn't fly with a long time, discerning collector, but that's where I am right now.

Edison Carter, RyX and Terry like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

The butterscotch is Bakelite and came on the 1935-45 Schick E .

Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

PM me your address
    I have a few laying around, a G8.
    I'll send it to you to see if you like it.
    I'll put some blades in too.
    tp

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

You can place an advert in the Want To Buy forum. As to not spending much there are a few low production models that Collectors seek and pay top dollar. Very early models A,B, & C are pricey. The Type F with aluminum handle was produced right before The US got into WW2. Metal production was put to the War Effort so there wasn't a "full run" of those. Plenty of the Type E, G, J, & M available and they can sell for not much more than $10 without a case.

If you haven't seen it, there's lots of info HERE.

brit, Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Im sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. But search bunny razor on this forum. I can say I've used one of these, it was very nice. Comes with different aggression levels, so it's adjustable to your needs.

brit, RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You can find a good amount of cased Schick G and I razors for under $20.00 on Ebay. Even cheaper without a case, depending on the seller.

brit, RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Ones I know of that are currently available as of this listing.
    Supply V2
    https://getsupply.com/products/the-single-edge-razor

Supply V2 mild and aggressive plates
    https://getsupply.com/products/custom-shave-settings

Mongoose Minigoose - razor no longer in production but still available until stock is depleted
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/produ...ainless-steel-single-edge-razor-satin-finish/

Schick Type L clones
    https://www.ebarbershop.com/ebarbershop-schick-type-injector-razor-handle.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shave-Clas...956942&hash=item3fc6c1882d:g:jTgAAOSwX9BdH5fO

I can't vouch for how the modern stuff shaves but the cheapest option here is the Type L clones. Supposedly they shave the same as a vintage Schick Type L but depending the razor they have quality control problems with the blade stops the way the Chinese machine them. Some stops are too low or are angled causing the blades to not sit correctly.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    PLANofMAN, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The bunny is not in production I think. I see there might be a kickstarter soon.

@S Barnhardt What is a good price to you? There are tons of schicks on the bay that are cheap in my book.

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also add that if you want a magazine razor also known as repeater you will have to pay the going rate which is $30 - $60 for a B1, C1 or C2 in user grade condition without packaging. Those are the easiest ones to obtain right now. Very few and far between bargains are showing up on the market right now for repeaters.

I'd also add a Type D will be pricey also but they I think are worth the price only if you are buying them from a collectable and historical standpoint. It was the very first injector razor that uses a key. If you are looking for an injector to use daily then I'd skip this razor.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. Chuck Naill

Don't overlook the rare and affordable Golden 500 which usually goes for $35-50 with the original case. A very nice and beautiful razor.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Well that one sold quickly hope it was a TSD member that got it.

brit likes this.
  18. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

What does one do for blades?

I see a few options on Amazon and the bay (mostly the same, just varying quantities), and the blades offered by Supply for their razor.

Anything else?

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For single edge injector blades you have the following

The chinese made schick blades, the ones you see on amazon and ebay in the yellow packaging.

The Supply blades which are rebranded Personna ptfe coated stainless steel blades, these blades are also sold by Ted Pella, Connaught and razorbladeco. There are other vendors just that those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Japanese Schick blades, you can find these on amazon and ebay but the cheapest option is to try rakuten. You just need to look for chic injector blades.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?tl=0&k=chic%20blades%20injector&l-id=search_regular

Schick Proline B-20 blades, the only thing to be aware of is they don't come with an injector key on the blade dispenser so you will need another key to load them into the razors if you can't load them without a key. For example the Supply V2 you can load blades manually without a key while you need the key to load the Schick Type L clones. Connaught shaving is usually the cheapest option but sometimes on rakuten you can find them cheaper if you catch the exchange rates just right. You need to search for baby chic blades on rakuten to find them.

other blades out there that may or may not be suitable for injector razors

Kai makes a stainless steel version that I haven't seen sold through any distributors except in Singapore and that distributor doesn't ship to countries outside the Far East. You'd have to contact Kai and see if they sell direct.
    https://www.kai-group.com/global/en/biz/industrialblades_special.html
    they are the F37-9S blades

Personna also makes carbon steel and uncoated stainless steel blades that you can buy in bulk from razorbladeco.

For double edge injector blades you the only ones I know of are the Schick II twin blades. You can find them on ebay or amazon but the cheapest option for them is rakuten. That above link will take you to all the search results for Schick and Schick II blades sold on rakuten.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

@BBS

Thank you for the extremely detailed and informed reply sir! Sincerely appreciated.

brit likes this.