Using a microwave as a towel wamer

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Captain Daveman, Oct 11, 2019.

1. I've often considered nuking a two-week for 45 second or do to get it hot. 45 second is the amount of time I use to warm a sock of rice for when I get a styem it gets out nice and toasty.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Why?? Just use hot tap water, then ring it out. With a microwave, you could easily get it too hot, or get hot spots.

Captain Daveman and Tallships like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My roommate did that many years ago and the towel caught on fire. It might be best to stick to hot tap water.

Captain Daveman likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree with Sir X here. Any hotter then tap water might burn too.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

* cough cough *

6. richgem

As a more serious response, if you go this route, at least make sure the towel is wet before nuking it. A dry towel will (probably) catch fire much more easily.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Even if the towel is wet, @wchnu and @Dalton makes a good point. It is easy to leave even a wet towel in the microwave too long, which could result in burns. Heating the towel with hot tap water reduces the chance of that happening.

richgem and wchnu like this.
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Not sure, but I would use hot tap water.

I can tell you one thing...don't dry the cat in the microwave.

brit likes this.
  9. richgem

Don't ask him how he knows! :eek:

brit and Kilgore Trout like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Pop goes the weasel...(name that quote)

brit likes this.
  11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

:bounce015:

brit likes this.
  12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I put one in the Shave Den years back

One of the little tiny 600W versions they carried at Walmart back then, my post from way back then

It works very well ONCE you figure you the tricks of it, like anything else in this hobby you have to learn how to use it best

1/23/2008

"It is not Overboard
    The SWMBO has decided that I have finally gone overboard with the last purchase for the "Shave Den"!!!!!![​IMG]
    The other day I ran into one of our other SRP members 'Scarface' aka Lou. We go to the same health club, and Lou starts telling me about how he is really getting into steamed towels before his shaves....
    Well this week I started trying them out, and I have to agree, that steamed towels are true heaven.
    So I start with bringing two towels that are damp downstairs to the kitchen and microwaved them for about 1 minute and, WOW that really works, so I go up the stairs, then down the stairs, then up the stairs, and then I say [​IMG] this...

So on the way home tonight, from a long day at work, I stop at Wally-World and buy the smallest microwave they have... I get home and clear out one side of the linen cabinet, and rearrange the shelves, and Voilà' I now have hot steamy towels right in the "Shave Den"....
    And she says[​IMG] I went overboard for the $35 microwave.....
    So I did what any self respecting husband would do, I walked into her closet (one of the small bedrooms that I made into a closet) and started counting pairs of shoes,,,,,[​IMG] She likes the microwave now!!!!!!![​IMG]

I would post a pic but there really isn't anything to see...."

13. brit

brit in a box

awesome..shoes on the other foot..:)

14. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Love this smiley! ---》[​IMG]

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

If your thinking of the hot towel wrap that barbers use it's a steamed towel, no microwave or conventional oven involved. When I lived in NY I used to treat myself to a Saturday morning shave at the local barber shop. Now days I just soak my washcloth in the sink with hot tap water, then soak my beard with the hot wet washcloth, works great. Also, leaving Lather on for a bit helps hydrate your beard

brit likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Towel steamers are not the $500 boxes they used to be when wet shaving products were considered to be barber tools only. You can buy a towel steamer on amazon for under $40 nowadays.

It's not high end, but it does the job.

brit likes this.