Dubl duck price

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by seaswood, Aug 16, 2019.

1. seaswood

seaswood Member

dubl duck is sorta all I have I buy them to use have not gone to other brands as I would just end up with too many. I did get a satinedge, or two last year in good shape for reasonable price 20-30$ what I remember.
    I am now seeing 120$ - 200$+ for goldedge satinedge, is a good dubl duck worth 100 200$ ?
    Who would pay 100-220$ for a goldenedge?
    There are a few for 60-80$ & a few for 20$.
    Is this becoming a collectors hobby or?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hard to say without seeing the listing. A wider Duck in the cracked ice scales, NOS or near mint with box and papers maybe depending on who’s wanting it. If I was selling one like that I might start high. Box, papers, and NOS do get you into some collectible territory, they’re not making anymore of them. But if you’re looking for a decent user you should be able to do a lot better. $200 is not unreasonable for a new razor >5/8, vintage or modern.

Billyfergie, brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

There in one at an antique store in Clinton with original box, wrappings, and unused for $100.

4. seaswood

seaswood Member

Original for 100$ is probably a good buy

Yes there are a few very good looking for over 300$ & other all over the range.
    I found out the hard way, look at the spline for wear I start there.

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Might have to mosey up to Clinton. They have some decent shops that carry shaving gear, but as always it’s hit or miss.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have Two D/Ds that I Acquired NOS in Mint Condition for a Very Good Price...I Stole Em in Fact..But they Do Go for Silly Money these Days...Like Wade & Butchers they are Popular & Demand a Buck or Two...I Like Mine..Would I Pay a Stupid High Price for One No..:D

Billy..:chores016:

7. seaswood

seaswood Member

Yes it does seem prices are rather over inflated but they can try I suppose.

Nice example tho.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well, not over-inflated I believe. If you want a beautiful NOS vintage art nouveau or art deco razor cheaper than a modern razor just because they’re old, you are very likely to be disappointed.

Billyfergie and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. seaswood

seaswood Member

Just got a satinedge used rusted in spots with a good hone & cleaning it is about as good as the nearly new satin edge I have. Some more elbow grease needed.
    [​IMG]

11. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Another on my wanted list..... So far I would like a DD, a Puma and a Engels :)

Billyfergie, brit and DaltonGang like this.
  12. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I have been noticing the goldenedge razors that are in almost NOS condition with the gold on the Tang still shinny go for over 100. Ones that do not have the gold on the Tang anymore are typically about 40-60. There was one not long ago for auction still factory sealed in the case. I think that ended up going for about 170.

brit likes this.
  13. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I sold this one about 2 years ago for £200 it was a NOS Goldedge it said 6/8 but it was a full 13/16.

11206119_10153209971696648_1278746630621429925_n.jpg

DSC_1118_zpsyhqqwfnt.JPG

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The prices have dropped significantly on DD’s over the last 5 years or so. A few years ago, they were all the rage. The Internet forum chatter drove the prices way up. They’re more in line nowadays.

gssixgun, Jamie Mahoney, brit and 3 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That razor 'ticks off all the boxes' for high resale!
    • Pristine condition with gold & blue tang intact; non-warped scales.
    • Case
    • Rare size blade (plenty of 5/8" out there)

Lovely! :love055:

16. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Very few (if any) on UK ebay... But USA site has plenty, the postage is outragous tho, I will still keep looking.

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  17. seaswood

seaswood Member

That is a nice razor of which would be a waste for my use as it would be silly to use.
    I did tho buy a goldedge with a couple more satinedge versions, evidently satinedge is my favorite presently.
    & the razor/cigar box is full.
    Basically the goldedge was worth two satinedge of which both have a very good edge!
    The goldedge will need to be honed.
    Anyone know best way to clean up the metal nameplate on the end of the scales?
    With something not too harsh maybe never dull?
    These are sitting on a dubl duck stone also.
    [​IMG]

Edison Carter, Jamie Mahoney and brit like this.
  18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Not NeverDull, it isn't that it won't work it is that the fibers will get stuck in there

Any good Metal polish will work but I recommend in this order using a Paper Towel or a Microfiber Cloth

MAAS
    Blue Magic
    Flitz

Hint about DD's
    The scales (Catalin) are very prone to Celluloid Rot they left the factory as White (Look @Jamie Mahoney 's pics ) and Clear the more Yellow they are means they have begun breaking down, look for warpage as they begin to shink..
    The Bottom razor you might want to watch closely as those minute pits look like you could be losing steel to the off-gassing

19. seaswood

seaswood Member

After getting some rust in bathroom I use a little bit of oil on the steel that is what you are seeing in bottom razor.
    Have two of those one has a ? not sure copper washer at swing pin other does not.
    & yes no longer store in bath.
    And a couple I bought thought I could fix, they are junk so buyer beware or learn hard way.
    That is white!

Edison Carter likes this.
  20. seaswood

seaswood Member

Never dull cleaned up the lettering for the bottom Satin edge, all three are Pearl Duck probably my favorite at this point. Yes scales are old but what a edge.
    [​IMG]

Edison Carter likes this.