What Does The Term "Safety Razor" Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, Oct 13, 2019.

?

What does the term "safety razor" mean to you?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2019.
  1. The Classic Double Edge (DE) Razor

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Any Razor With A Skin Guard (Double Edge, Single Edge, Cartridge)

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Something Else

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would argue that the definition of "safety razor" hasn't changed, but that the tool has become more "safety" and less "razor" as men have stopped realizing that shaving is an actual skill that must be learned and practiced.

We get the "here's a razor, the foam is in the can. If you nick yourself on a pimple, just put a bit of TP on it 'till the bleeding stops," introduction to shaving.

Edison Carter, brit and PanChango like this.
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Communication isn't black and white and by meaning I'm refering to the image that comes to mind. I promise you, a different image came to mind when a man heard the term "safety razor" 100 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    In 1919, it would have been a Gillette Old Type. If the question was asked 40 or even 30 years ago, I doubt the mental image would change much.

Of course that would lessen the impact of saying "100 years ago." :)

The viewpoint discussed here is also one that has a decidedly "first world" slant. In many countries, "middle class" means you can afford to ditch the DE blades and splurge on the Bic single blade disposables.

I live in a part of Oregon with a high Hispanic population. The local antique stores rarely carry DE razors. When I asked why, I was told that the "Mexicans" buy them and use them. Presumably the same people who buy shopping carts full of water bottles because they just can't bring themselves to believe that tap water is safe to drink in the U.S. (except Flint, MI and a few other cities).

Whoo...I've gone off on a tangent again.

Most of the world still shaves with DE bladed razors. Not because they choose to, but because it's literally the only kind of razor they can afford. In India, you can buy blades individually from vendors, and that $0.10 spent represents a noticable chunk of the daily income.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  4. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Sorry for the late reply but I didn't want to 'bias' your question before I read the rest of the thread.

The context is basically if there's a "Conventional Wisdom" definition of the term. I've discovered through this poll and others that no, it really depends on the background of the person being asked. Social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter) overwhelmingly define safety razor as a DE. The forums are more split.

5. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Which is interesting because I just joined the forums in mid September and I would have answered safety razor=DE before being exposed to more options here. I didn't know GEM/Everready/Autostrop/Rolls were even a thing on September 1st. Plus, one year ago, I wouldn't have understood the question. I discovered wet shaving in January.

brit likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Language is not wisdom so I think there in lies the rub. More interesting is the marketing label vs language definition and how the breakdown is between social media and forums. Next question on that would be is it an age demographic driven distinction and/or a lack of critical thinking auto response which could go both ways depending how you phrase a follow up question if you really wanted to know. Bottom line both can correct depending the context. By default I personally go to the language based definition first when context is not clear because that should supersede an arbitrary label in this case.

brit likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Generational gap. Most social media users didn't grow up using DE razors. To them, a cartridge razor is not a safety razor, because they associate the term 'safety razor' with DE razors. This leaves out the broad spectrum of SE razors though.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I always like to rebuild the acronym when arguing about its meaning.

DE Razor: A razor for a double edged disposable razor blade.
    SE: Razor: A razor for a single edged disposable razor blade.

The term "Safety" isn't explicitly used because it is optional. A DE/SE razor isn't inherently a "Safety" razor. (Although it just so happens that most of them are).
    There is no such thing as a "safety" razor blade, just blades for "safety" razors.

So, calling a DE or SE razor a safety razor is incorrect. In actual fact, the safety razor is just a sub-set of each.

I think.

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

brit and BlueShaver like this.
  10. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Congrats. You have just won the thread!
    Wow, great book. Clearly, a "Safety razor" is one with a guard of some sort.

brit likes this.
  11. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  12. riverrun

Found it:
    Oxford English Dictionary gives a source:
    Does anyone have a subscription to newspapers.com?

Edit: I do... now.

P.S.: I even found a mention from 1833

P.P.S.: January 5, 1833 - https://razors.click/TheTermSafetyRazor/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    brit, Ron R and BlueShaver like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    G.E. Jones Shake Sharp! It's a DE razor, according to @BlueShaver :)

DE Razor: A razor for a double edged disposable razor blade.

Yep. Check. Uses double edge blade.

SE: Razor: A razor for a single edged disposable razor blade.

Well...it looks like an SE, it shaves like an SE...

Let's not overlook the fact that GEM micromatic Double Edge (later called "reversible") blades were a thing too. They only worked in the Micromatic and Clog-pruf.

Just goes to show that even razors are not just black and white. There's some shades of grey in there too.

I would say a DE razor is a single bladed razor that has two exposed shaving edges, one on each side of the head.

An SE razor is a single bladed razor, with a single exposed shaving edge.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit and jmudrick like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

In case anyone is unfamiliar God forbid.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Here is my definition of a safety razor:

"A razor with a user-replaceable blade that is shielded by a guard of some sort to prevent nicks and cuts. This includes razors in which the replaceable blades are part of a cartridge. It does not include razors that require electric power to shave."

By this definition, the Curley Ideal Safety Razor is not a safety razor, but a bridge between straight and safety razors. A proto-safety razor, if you will. Its blade can be replaced by someone with the skills to do so, but not by the average user. Rolls Razor, Autostrop, J.A. Henckels Rapide, Wilkinson Pall Mall, Star Safety Razor, etc. would be safety razors. Their blades are user-replaceable, even if those blades would seldom, if ever, be replaced. If you want to include the Curley and similar razors in the definition, then omit "replaceable".

"User replaceable blade" can also refer to one or more blades in a cartridge. If you do not want to include cartridge razors in the definition, then simply change "This includes" to "This does not include". I consider cartridge razors to be safety razors because the blades are shielded to some extent to prevent nicks and cuts.

Electric razors require electricity to function, and hence are not safety razors. Cartridge razors with battery powered vibrating heads are safety razors. The vibrating head is used to enhance the razor's functionality, but is not required for the razor to shave. The same goes for cartridge razors with a heated head.

Perhaps the best definition of safety razor is the one used on Wikipedia:

"A safety razor is a shaving implement with a protective device positioned between the edge of the blade and the skin."

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  17. Shaver X

The Star Safety Razor was referred to as such on its packaging, thus the term predates the Gillette double-edge safety razors by many years. There are probably a lot of people who think that "safety razor" is synonymous with "double-edge razor", though. That would be due to double-edge razors having the lion's share of the market for over 60 years.

PLANofMAN, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  18. riverrun

Silly definition really. A device that is positioned between the edge of the blade and the skin would prevent the blade from doing any work. Blade exposure - zero or less.

Shaver X, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Shaver X

You are right. Fixed that!

brit and riverrun like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You are right about that. Marketing is an amazing thing.

Shaver X and brit like this.