$2 badger brush for real?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Captain Daveman, Oct 14, 2019.

1. On Saturday grabbing a towel I knocked over my entire shaving den.

My brush, a three year old Gentleman John brush, ended up in the toilet bowl and my shaving mug, a souvenir soup mug from the 90s ,was shattered. Both were hauled away in the trashmen sometime today.

Sunday I went to 5 stores (Target, Walgreens, CVS, Kohl's, and Walmart) looking for a mug and brush. Couldn't find one.

So today, I found on Amazon a brush, mug and stand set for $12.

The claim is the brush is a badger brush. But here's why I'm skeptical: I world expect to pay more for a brush alone than $12 if it were a genuine badger brush, but I can buy the stand alone for $10, so the brush is a $2 add on.

Another reason is the stand looks chintzy and three plastic mug is very small. So in don't think they'd go high end with the shaving brush.

However the unit comes highly reviewed, and that send a good price other than the mug is rather small.

Your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079ZXR6FJ/?tag=thshde-20

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Further down it says nylon bristles, synthetic. And I'm assuming that by the pics and because I've seen those sets at other places. But who knows, some Chinese sellers sell sets cheap.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Don't trust those sellers. That looks like a synthetic to me. You can maybe hunt up a VDH badger brush and bowl set.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

wchnu likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Why didn't you wash the one you had?
    Even if the bowl wasn't flushed, yuck!, still you can wash it. Hopefully with antibacterial soap.
    Incidentally, i got a wonderful badger brush from the bay for 4 bucks. I think from Frank Shaving. It had a black turned acrylic handle, and a nice full silvertip knot. So, price doesn't need to be the only consideration, but quality often comes at a premium.
    If you liked your badger, be sure to remove most of the water from your new synthetic.

BigMike and 178-bplatoon like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

@Captain Daveman since you have Captain Caveman as your avatar, and one of my favorite childhood cartoons, send me a PM with your address and I will send you a brush that has been reknotted with a Golden Nib badger knot and a vintage Old Spice mug.

Oh, and welcome to TSD; the best wet shave board on the planet!

Sparrow, John Beeman, jaro and 10 others like this.
  7. jimjo1031

`Nice.............

jaro, RyX and brit like this.
  8. Because, except for the toilet bowl scrubber any and every item that goes into the toilet bowl gets flushed or thrown away.

RyX likes this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I would keep looking.

BigMike likes this.
  10. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Outstanding

- Ken

jaro, RyX and brit like this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Have you ever noticed how EVERYTHING on Amazon seems to get good reviews? Astro-turfing. The VDH sets shown by
    @jimjo1031 would be a step up. The brush PIF offered by stingraysrock is a quantum leap up. For a replacement mug, almost anything would do, an oddball souvenir cup, a salsa bowl from Goodwill, or even a re-purposed margarine or cream cheese container.
    And next time leave the toilet lid down!

RyX, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. That's very generous of you. How do I send a PM?

My grandfather had an Old Spice shaving mug, and it means a lot because he's the only man who ever have a spadoinkle about me until I enlisted in the Navy.

RyX, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. jimjo1031

Click on his avatar and his info will pop up. Then click "start a conversation".

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Squid here myself. Served as a Grape on USS America, CV66, and again as an AD on Forrestal, CV59, attached to VAW-122.

RyX and brit like this.
  15. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

My thoughts?

Find an old spice mug and buy a Yaqi synthetic.

RyX and brit like this.
  16. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Awesome! Nice offer sir.

jaro, brit and RyX like this.