Ran across this Van Der Hagen razor today. Any recent opinions?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by S Barnhardt, Oct 29, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I went with my wife to a local chain grocery store this morning. As always, I guve the shaving section at least a passing glance. Today, I saw this. I'd not noticed it/them before, but wouldn't go so far as to say they were newly placed. Any mention Iv'e found, so far, about them here on TSD was back in June of 2018. So, thought I"d ask you folks what you thought about them. They are certainly cheap enough which frequently means "no", but then again sometime you find a good thing cheap. I'm wondering if they are worth messing with. ?? If showing the price sticker is a "no no", let me know and I'll take the pic down and redo it.

van der hagen razor and blades.jpg

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

From what I understand, it's made by Weishi and supposed to be a good razor. Not a bad price either. Stick to other DE blades as those really don't have good reviews.

brit, cliffb599 and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

TSD is a Wet Shaving Discussion Forum. You can express your opinion, name the store, give the GPS location, and review the razor as you please.

Not sure if I've even tried one of those VDH branded blade holders. I get the impression it's a Chinese imitation of a Gillette Flare Tip, made of zamak, maybe plastic, and chrome plated.

Keep your eyes open for a real Flare Tip since they sell for about the same price in User Grade. Or pick one up - they make good starter razors for when you gift it to a friend.

brit, S Barnhardt and stuartganis like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have one and I think it is a decent mild razor as long as you use a sharp blade with it. That is a good price for that razor also. They normally sell for about $18 - $20 at Walmart. Those blades though just plain old suck.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

A quick search on eBay revealed a good many possibilities. It seemed a good many variations, red tip, black handle, etc. Is there one that is considered the best choice?

brit and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nope, personal choice. Flare tip is middle of the road. Blue tip more mild, and lighter weight. Red tip is aggressive / efficient and heavier. If you favor one type start there. Generally older razors are more aggressive, so stepping into Gillette history, open combs tend to be more efficient, though they can bite.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

7. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

"User Grade Flare Tip" this one comes in a rare weathered brass finish. Free with $100 shipping. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jim99, RyX and brit like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You could always look for a birth year/quarter razor. (Depending on how old you are. If you were born after 1984, your options are pretty much nil.)

Jim99, S Barnhardt, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

:D

10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Decent razor, I have one in my camping bag. The elites will look down on you though lol but a razor is a razor and it's pretty much a clone of a superspped.

brit and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't know... That's an awful lot for a razor that's missing at least one end cap. Still the weathered brass finish is a plus. :happy088:

Jim99, MrEE and brit like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Make a great sinker for fishing.

Not to mention that the doors are missing...but yeah...lack of an end cap is a deal breaker. Lol

13. S Barnhardt

That's a good idea and one that I've thought of doing.

I need to educate myself on the fine points of making those kinds of determinations.

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Well, your profile says that you are retired, so it's a good likelihood that your birth year razor could include red tips, blue tips, regular superspeeds and an adjustable or two.

Some people just try for birth year, others shoot for birth year and quarter, which will mean there's a possibility your razor was being made the same day you were exiting the womb.

I only have one razor that's as old as I am. All the rest are much, much older. (Except for the handful of modern razors I own).

Jim99 and brit like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

To find birth year "and" quarter, I would have to find one from 3rd quarter of 1948. From what I've been able to learn, or think I've learned, the year is the only marking from that time periood??

Jim99 and brit like this.
  16. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

VDH is said to be a Weishi 9306-F or -C (L=long, F=silver chrome, C=gun metal, A=gold, B=matte gold, E=matte chrome, I = Bronze, etc).
    They are decent razors made of brass. The TTO mechanism is made of plastic though?
    https://globalshave.club/2019/06/27/five-great-chinese-razors-and-three-to-avoid/

Very mild, not much blade bent which results in a little more aggressiveness than the Tech or SS and you have to use a shallow angle.
    It's among my most liked/used razors (next to a Tech, Baili and Super Speed - I prefer mild razors obviously).
    It's around 12 bucks including a plastic travel case on aliexpress atm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/620977387.html. Without case around 8 bucks.
    Similar on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=weishi+razor&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

It definitely has it's fan base - see:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/weishi-9306-vs-gillette-superspeed.58600/
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/black-weishi-9306.48437/

Or use the search function: https://theshaveden.com/forums/search/44456264/?q=weishi&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=30 -

I would say go for it, it makes a nice travel razor (edit: especially if you don't want to risk loosing your made in your birth year and quarter vintage Gillette).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For Gillettes there are 5 razors, some of them are the same razor with different manufacturing revisions done to them for sure that can be dated to 1948. You can't date them to the quarter of the year though. Then for those 3 razors there are ones that don't have any date codes that the closest you'll get for a year is the range 1948 - 1950. Those 3 razors are the Milord, Super Speed and Aristocrat. You also have the no date coded Gillette 3 pc tech post war tech sold between 1947 - 1950, they have to have what is called a post war base plate with no date code and ball end handle to be for sure at least 48 or up.

For single edge Gem razors the one to look for is the Micromatic Flying Wing Bullet Tip without the guiding eye on it.

For Schick injector you have 5 razors only one you can narrow down to 1948 and 1949

For Type G razors you have the G1 injector make sure the spring says Schick Eversharp on it that for sure is 1947/1948 - 1954, then you have the G4 aka the Schick 66 which was sold from 1948 - 1951, finally you have the G2 which was only produced for Christmas of 1948 and 1949.

For Type H razors you have the H1 which was sold between 1947 - 1952 and H2 which was 1948 - 1951.

There are other brand razors being sold in 1948 but I can't think of any right now except for 2 Cooper razors, the Kant Rust and the 3pc adjustable.

I'll get you some pictures and links in a bit.

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.