CBL Soap’s new Tonsorial formula: Review and PIF

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by thevez2, Oct 25, 2019.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

If you’re a fan of CBL Premium Soaps, then you already know that Chris is a master of his craft and CBL Soaps are among the best artisan soaps produced today. Chris has done it again, creating a unique formula that is unlike anything being made today.

CBL Tonsorial is the culmination of years of work attempting to re-create vintage Tonsorial soaps from a bygone era. Making soap is a science, and having the ingredients is only half of it, the rest is in how you cook it. Chris has figured out, what he believes, is the method that Williams used to make their soap back in the day. Many folks seek out Vintage Williams and it is highly prized for its creamy lather. If you’ve ever used vintage soap like Williams or Old Spice, then you have an idea of what to expect from CBL Tonsorial. (Except Chris’ soap is even better!)

The ingredients in CBL Tonsorial are as follows: Tallow, Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Glycerine. Real, simple, basic ingredients!

This is designed to be a stripped down, inexpensive, no frills soap, but that doesn’t mean that this is substandard in any way. It does everything a basic shave soap needs to do (and more). This is a hard, dense puck, and produces lather very quickly. The lather it produces is extremely creamy….. both looking and feeling. In fact, the face feel of this soap is one of my favorite aspects of it. It really is unique in that regard. It’s pleasantly slick as well. Slickness, for me, is the most important attribute a soap can have. (If it’s lacking in slickness, then I don’t want to use it.) This soap has all the slickness you’d want in a soap. I’d go so far as to say it’s even slicker than Stirling.

Sounds great so far, right? What brings this soap back down to earth is the post shave feel. Since it is lacking all the expensive fats/oils/butters it doesn’t have the ultra-good post shave feel that many of the expensive artisan soaps have. Instead, it just leaves your face feeling the way your skin is supposed to feel, not overly moisturized, but not dry either. I know a lot of people use some soaps and say their skin feels great afterwards, so they don’t need to follow up with an aftershave. You will want to follow up with an aftershave with CBL Tonsorial, but that’s OK.

The fact that it doesn’t use a lot of expensive ingredients brings CBL Tonsorial down to the reasonably priced realm and competitive with the other bargain soaps out there. Chris will be selling these for around $9 for a 3oz tub.

In the past, I have recommended that everyone needs to try Vintage Williams, at least once, to experience that type of lather. Granted, it is a little expensive, usually found on ebay for about $10 for 50g (1.75 oz), sometimes more. Chris’ soap gives you everything I’d want you to experience from Vintage Williams, and so much more for about half the cost. Honestly, as a whole, CBL Tonsorial is at least on par, if not better, than vintage Williams in every way.

***********PIF Alert***********

Now, please don’t just take my word for it. I’m a CBL Soap Fanboy for sure, and love everything Chris produces. But I want to hear what you think about his new Tonsorial soap formula. The Beta pucks are out for testing, and the production tubs will be out very soon. I have purchased a few extra Beta pucks to PIF in exchange for an honest review of the soap in this thread. I will give away 4 Beta pucks. These pucks are 2-3oz in size, and should easily last you a month of shaves (probably many more).

If you are interested in trying the soap, let me know below. I will select 4 winners in a week’s time (around November 1st). You will have your choice of two scents: Money or Jeri’s Tonic. Let me know in your post which scent you are interested in testing. In exchange you must give an honest review of the soap in this thread!

Money: Expect a light linen or cotton scent with metallic ink notes. Some have described the scent as “fresh” or “clean”. (To me, it literally smells like a fresh, new stack of dollar bills.)

Jeri’s Tonic: Literally made with Jeri’s Hair Tonic. It’s a little on the light side, scent wise, but it’s still a light clean soapy barbershop scent.

[​IMG]

(I just want to add, that I was not solicited by CBL Soaps for this review, and I have not received anything from CBL Soaps for doing this. I just love this soap and want to spread the word about how good it is!)

2. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Slickness tops all.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I’m in Never tried CBL. Would love to try some & give my Review on it.
    Thank you. My pick would be
    Jeri’s Tonic. Thank you this is really Great of you.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

As I have never tried this soap. Before, I would gladly offer an honest review. I'm in. Thank you. Jeri's.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. terstation

terstation Active Member

I would like to try the CBL, as it is a new soap to me. If chosen to give my review, I would like to try the Jeris Tonic puck. Thanks for the generous PIF opportunity. Good luck all.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

6. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Never heard of this soap before, nice endorsement... Is the PIF open to Canada? If so I'm interested in the money scent

7. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I've just found out about the new Tonsorial from CBL. I love his other soaps, & would enjoy trying this new release. Thanks, KJ, I'm in, & would like to try the Money scent.

brit likes this.
  8. thevez2

In so Far.....

cliffb599 - Jeris
    Zykris - Jeris
    terstation - Jeris
    ghostlife - Money
    dmshaver - Money

2 More days to enter.

Also for those interested, CBL Tonsorial should be available for purchase on/around November 1st, with 6 scents being introduced, initially.

terstation, Zykris and cliffb599 like this.
  9. shavehandmade

shavehandmade New Member

Haven't tried CBL yet but thanks for the review I'll add it to my list for sure

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

If it's not to late I'd like to be included. A review is promised

11. thevez2

OK folks we had 7 interested and here are the 4 that were selected.

Please send me your addresses and I’ll get out your pucks on Monday (hopefully).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

congrats to the winners of these. i know you will like them. i received a sample of those from chris and they are great soaps... i have not tried the roasted oatmeal stout one as i didnt get it and im sure its great too but i know the jeris and money are great..of course as always ymmv.

13. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

That's great, CBL is terrific soap. Thank you very much!!!!!!! PM sent.

jaro likes this.
  14. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

you def need to try ALL the CBL line it is ALL great.....

15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Congrats to you guys! Looking forward to your reviews!

jaro likes this.
  16. cliffb599

Thank you was a great PIF.

jaro likes this.
  17. cliffb599

Got it Today.
    [​IMG]

This is some great Shave soap.
    Slickness was top tier. One of the Slickest soaps I’ve Ever used.
    The scent was a little Light but Enjoyable. ( light Barbershop scent )
    This soap Loves Water add a little at a time and BOOM Lather Heaven.
    Lather’s up really easy and quick.
    Post shave Feel is Awesome skin is not dried out. Would I Buy this Soap.
    Oh Heck Ya. This is a Great Shave Soap.

Thank you @thevez2 was really big of you. Was an Awesome PIF.

18. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Got mine and used it for the 1st time this a.m. Nice is the best word I got right now. I will use it all week with different brushes, etc and report back later

cliffb599 likes this.
  19. terstation

terstation Active Member

My CBL Jeris showed up yesterday afternoon and it will be at least until tomorrow until I give it a test run.

I tried out a Feather blade the past couple of days from a travelling box I am taking part in and we didn't agree. It is sharp, but sure wasn't smooth to me.

Thanks @thevez2 for the generous PIF and a review is forthcoming.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

cliffb599 likes this.
  20. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Looking forward to those reviews guys :happy088:

(and watching the site for SIR Fougere scent in tonsorial base)