mach 3

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by haroldwashington, Nov 3, 2019.

1. from 1998 to 2001, gillette had arguably the very best razor on the market which was called the mach 3 razor, could there have been someone who had for that same time period a four blade razor by any chance? rsvp

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't know, but that one has been listed among the "Best Razor For Seniors". I'm seriously considering that one as my next "Real" razor.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Schick Tracer was my best, and last cartridge shaver.

Douglas Carey and Shaver X like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

mach 3 was my last cart endeavor..

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use a Trac II occasionally and get great results with it. It's often the razor in my travel kit.

Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Quattro four blade razor was Schick's answer to the Gillette Mach 3. More blades does not necessarily mean a better shave, though. I got much better shaves from my Trac II than from any later pivoting head cartridge razors. I stopped using cartridge razors and electrics at home 10 years ago, but still use the Trac II when travelling by plane.

Douglas Carey and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I used the Mach 3 for years. Decades even. Heavens to Mergatroyd. I now only use it when I travel by air and carry my bags on the plane. That happens to be often. I'd rather not hand over my luggage to an airline with the possibility I'll never see it again. I can deal with using a cart for a few days knowing it is temporary.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I used a Mach 3 before I got into DE shaving. Now I use str8s, DEs, and whatever the counter at the hotel has while I'm on the road (about 1/4 of my time).

Technique is more important than the razor methinks. Now that I've gotten my technique down, I could shave with obsidian (if I only had the nerve).

@haroldwashington, I've noticed in your other posts that cost is a big driver in your requests/decisions. Cartridges are one of the most expensive ways to remove hair from your face. If you are wanting to get your face hair free on the cheap, a double edge razor and blades can be had for the cost of about 2-3 month's worth of cartridges.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Schick Quattro was the first four bladed razor on the market in 2003. There was no 4 blade razor during the Mach 3 era.

...and arguably, Gillette had the best marketing campaign for a razor. Calling the Mach 3 "the best razor on the market" is at best, a stretch. I vastly prefer Gillette's twin blade system for a cartridge razor.

I have had fun for many years now, watching Gillette try to dig itself out of the "more blades is better" hole it has dug itself into. We know, and they know, that more blades is not better, but they have spent a good chunk of the last 20 years pitching that concept, and would look like fools if they backed down now.

If you want a cartridge system that performs great and is inexpensive, I recommend checking out the Gillette Guard.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Started with my dad's Schick Injector in high school and switched to the Trac II when it was introduced with all the sports hype. The T-2 followed me to a stint in the Army and then 30+ years of married life and job travels. Now I'm all DE except when I travel (rare) then I use either a T-2 or a Mach 3 which I recently found in a closet.

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Mach 3 was the last cartridge razor I used. It was a cartridge razor, it cause years of ingrown hairs, irritation, pain, and itching. More blades, more pressure, more problems. I've been almost 6 years, without a cartridge, and have enjoyed life ever since. Cartridges are the Devil. May they all burn in hell. :angry019:

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For me, it was one particular spot on my chin that would frequently get nicked when I shaved with a cartridge or electric. In 10 years of shaving with a safety razor, I have nicked that spot exactly zero times, and rarely get nicks or cuts of any sort.

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Mach3 was launched in 1998, the Quattro was released in 2004. Schick released the FX Diamond in 1999.
    It's safe to say that the Fusion was released to challenge the Quattro.

14. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Though I started shaving with a Schick adjustable injector razor, my 1st cartridge razor was a Gillette Atra twin blade. It remains my favorite cartridge razor though I rarely use it now.

The Gillette Mach 3 was not a bad razor, but I actually liked the Schick Quattro better. Hardly ever use either of these anymore.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

So do I Charlie. I purchased a set some time ago that was supposed to be some thing else. I will shave with it occasionally. Hope you are doing well.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Doug. I'm hangin' in there, my friend. Hope you are as well.

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I woke up today. Good start!

wristwatchb likes this.