Smoothest Most Comfortable DE and Blade combination?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by john zeiger, Nov 7, 2019.

1. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, what is you smoothest and most comfortable DE razor and blade combination (not necessarily the most efficient or closest shaver - just interested in comfort)? Mine are:

1. Above The Tie S1 (Slant) with Voskhod blade
    2. Rockwell 6C with most any blade
    3 REX Ambassador with most any blade - I love the adjustable feature as it allows me dial in most any blade

Edison Carter, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The smoothest razor I own is the RazoRock Baby Smooth, pair it with a GSB and you'll find yourself checking to make sure you've actually loaded a blade.

Another super smooth combo for me is the PAL Adjustable with a Schick blade.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Norcalnewb like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Looks like you opened up a can of worms. Saying that, I have many combinations that produce smooth and comfortable shaves. But I guess my favorites are my '46-'47 Aristocrat with a Bolzano Superinox blade and '48-'50 Aristocrat, also with a Bolzano blade. But to be fair, the Bolzano blade produces similar shaves with my Fatboys, Slims and others.

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My smoothest modern DE shaves are my Colonial Silversmith with Voskhod blade and my AS-D2 with a Feather blade. My smoothest vintage DE shaves are my Barbasol Floating Head , my Gillette New Standard, and my Krona all with Voskhod blades.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I found the Yaqi Mellon double open comb gives a smooth comfy shave. Plenty of blade feel, very efficient, and it doesn't bite me. Don't recall which blades I've used with it.

6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

*Awaits the TTT crew :scared003:*

I could say that i think my YUMA and a Rapira gives my my most comfortable (or smoothest) shaves and it is certainly a combo which i find myself reaching for in times of discomfort, but to be honest, i find that most of my razors, etc can be smooth and comfortable.
    What i do find however, is that certain razors and blades are just rough no matter what i do.

My Muhle R89 is one such culprit as are WS blades. I can not get a happy shave out of either no matter what i pair the with.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Mindset, skill set, then tool set.

Develop the skills to make a good lather and use the razor at hand and you will be rewarded with smooth shaves regardless of the tool used.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Either the Razorock Mamba or PAA Ascension are probably the smoothest razors I have tried. I find blades don't make a big change on the shave feel.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

For me, it’s a tie between my Gillette Black Beauty and my Ming Shih- either one, with a Feather blade.

10. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

1908 Old Type 102 and a Gillette Silver Blue blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. octoserge

octoserge Member

Timeless .95 SB w/ Gillette Spoiler.

12. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt you’ll get 2 answers the same. For me, it’s a RazoRock Game Changer .84 safety bar, loaded with a Personna Med Prep or Lab Blue.

13. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

Gillette Black handle Super Adjustable 84 and Personna Platinum, I've been using that combo since 1976 and love it.

14. brit

brit in a box

brit new rfb with a gsb.nacet or platinum..fantastically smooth and efficient for me..

Somnos, Edison Carter and john zeiger like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

You have to use one edge at a time.
    Little bit of a learning curve.
    Smooth as can be, with a GSB.

20191012_143223-1.jpeg

:scared003:

Somnos, john zeiger and brit like this.
  16. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Fendrihan Mk. II w/Derby Extra or Voskhod

Somnos, john zeiger and brit like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I must have become less discriminating than in the past. Pretty much any DE razor paired with an uncoated stainless (or a teflon/non-plat) blade works so smoothly for me that I really can't complain about any of them.

Agree with above comment...The Spoiler is my all time favorite.

Edison Carter, john zeiger and brit like this.
  18. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Feather ASD2 with just about any blade. I generally use Feathers in mine. Or, Astras, or Derbys.

19. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Either my Schick with a feather or my bluetip same blade

20. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Rocket HD with a German wilki