What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Billyfergie, gssixgun and TestDepth like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

87541B4C-3559-4770-998A-7B8E72318797.jpeg

Do you know what time it is? It’s touch up time! Up for a freshening up are two 6/8 Heljestrand 130s and my user Filly 14. Doing the abrasive honors are a leopard spot Nakayama sunashi (without su) suita, a very fast stone, and a likely Nakayama ‘leather’ or barber size finisher. Looking forward to some smooth shaves.

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

You’re going to mess around and cut yourself.....lol!!

Keithmax, Steve56 and Billyfergie like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    One of my favorite Brands and Size of razor came in for honing, the owner just stole it on eBay :p

Sometimes you look at a razor and just want to cry about the abuse it suffered

Before: What the heck, what hamhanded monkey did this and How besides the Toe Damage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After; Buffed the scratches with 600 grit then polished with SS compound and Chrome compound
    The toe damage was removed and smoothed with a well worn DMT D8C

Honing was Chosera 1-5-10 Finished to a beautiful Hazy Kasumi finish with my Nakayama w/Kita Slury
    Sharpie test on the bevel to verify a tiny even bevel after repairs :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hone on !!!

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

7E2BF9B3-62DF-4A25-A91F-9B30C9A1A67E.jpeg

A new to me Friodur 14, apparently NOS as there was little or no hone wear and the bevel wasn’t all that flat. I set the bevel with Shapton Glass HR 2k and 4k, did a half strop and tested for bevel set. The middle stone was a super fast almost habutae (rice cake color of kimono silk) likely Aiiwatani with 1200 diamond plate slurry, and the final finisher was ‘ol ugly’ with tomo slurry. Silent HHT root in or out.

6. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Hey, I have 3 light scaled razors waiting for a touch up (or more).
    C2EF74B0-2D6C-4BDB-9CF3-4C1C7A4FA719.jpeg
    Kinfolks Blue Steel Special - NY
    Bought it yesterday, gave it to the translucent ark, Naniwa S2 12k, 50/100/200 diamond pasted balsa progression. Shaved “ok”, I give it a C+, but some extra credit for jumping the honing queue. I expect to enjoy this razor once it gets some real attention.

Bismarck Razor Works - Solingen
    Flunked a recent shave, so it revisited the 12k and the balsa progression, now up to a B.

Genco - more NY, less blade
    I reshaped (hacked) the toe to eliminate a major crack. Have been honing away at this mutant, trying to get past the rotten steel in the remaining edge. It has seen a variety of hones. This time I gave it the diamond DMT treatment - extra fine, medium extra fine, extra extra fine; followed by the trans ark, the 12k, and the balsa progression. I did it! Finally, it shaves! C+, maybe even a B-.

I used all three razors in a very long shave test. Double checked results with a fast ATG pass with my Focus Slim Al shavette/Feather. Each of these three deserves more attention (well, not the Genco), maybe a full film progression, maybe my mystery jnat, maybe wait for that next hone in the door. Hmm.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That Kinfolks Blue Steel should be very good. No experience with the others.

You’re in for good shaves!

Steve

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

With a very timely SOTD post yesterday from Guy @ram57, I learned that this German razor made for the Zacour Bros. of Pittsburgh, PA was a Griffon Cutlery product. Identical shape and model # (16) as his Griffon Antelope.

Took it through the 1/4/8k Naniwa progression and finished on this dark Thuringian.
    B15693B1-7259-4CFD-812E-67F1C434150E.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Keithmax, Chuck Naill, Tanuki and 6 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

classy razor Tom..

M14Shooter and TestDepth like this.
  10. TestDepth

Thank you Gary!

M14Shooter and brit like this.
  11. TestDepth

An older french razor on deck last night...
    M. Pajon
    Paris
    It had a very nice regrind at some point which allowed it to behave very nicely. Naniwa 1/4/8/12k, followed by the pictured “Extra Extra” fine Coticule.
    93418FB0-85A4-436B-89E4-1E6D1CC5017E.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

12. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    What a ride this one took me on. Too much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I normally have a few razors in most weeks for honing, I don't photograph or usually post in what straight have you honed lately, but sometimes I have a nice razor that comes in for honing and I think these two are worth a photo, well here we have two very nice vintage NOS French razors on the hones today.

DSC_0423.JPG

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

C44C658C-6030-4A3F-965A-931B9B20561C.jpeg

Meant to post last night but I’m running late - testing clear water finishing on two newly acquired 60-cut (about 190x70mm). The reddish stone is softer than the greenish one, and both made about the same edge on thin slurry. So now I’m going to find out if adding clear water strokes adds anything - it’s entirely stone dependent, you never know if it does nothing o helps until you try. Spoiler: the greenish stone made a little better edge but not by leaps and bounds, it was a little smoother.

Keithmax, M14Shooter, Tanuki and 3 others like this.
  15. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Stone dependent….is that a DSM-5 diagnosis? LOL!!!

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Ha! No but it's the truth, some jnat edges benefit from it and others don’t. Some that benefit show a lot of improvement, others not so much, like the greenish one above.

Keithmax and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Nothing like some encouragement, thanks!

I don’t have a lot of honing time today, but the Kinfolks got some quick attention. I took it back a step to 30 laps each on my XX Fine DMT(8000/3u) and the Norton trans ark.

Finished with the 4 laps (per instructions on the box) on my newly acquired/wild caught/unbranded “Made in Austria The best razor hone”. Whether 4 laps accomplished anything - I have no opinion. The edge felt fine on the hone, so I don’t think 4 laps hurt anything. My first experience with a barber hone. Baby steps.

Recharging the diamond paste on my 50/100/200k balsa strop progression may have made the biggest difference. In any case, after stropping and a shave, the Kinfolks went from a C to a B+. I might even rate it A- after I give it another outing.
    E2E82F07-F6E8-4F81-8097-D00CFD0D3394.jpeg

18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Looking out the back window making steel sharp this morning, you can see "Christmas" is beginning to infiltrate the scenery :D

[​IMG]

W&B finished on a Select Grade Coti
    Torrey finished on a Zulu Grey
    Wester Bros. finished on a Blue/Green Escher

Lil Remi is lending her support hehehe

[​IMG]

Hone On !!!

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's why I send you my razors, Glen. Nice work.

20. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I bought this 5/8 barber’s notch Torrey quite a while back. Torreys seem to have some fans (looking at you, @Chuck Naill ). The edge looked pretty nice, but I didn’t want to touch it until I had successfully restored some less likely edges on less attractive SRs.

Fighting my rotten Genco edge took too much time and damaged my motivation. But some light at the end of that tunnel, plus a very nice shave after two short sessions with my Kinfolks’ edge restored some confidence.

For the Torrey: 60 laps trans ark/Ballistol, 40 laps Naniwa S2 12k. Extra laps were due to my feeling a toe issue on one side only. My usual strop progression through 3 diamond/balsa and 1 leather. Plus I tightened the pivot slightly and found the likely cause of the toe issue. The blade was now a little off center and needed guidance to close cleanly. On inspection, I found that somebody had installed a washer between scale and tang one one side only.

I haven’t repinned a razor yet. I’ll think about that “tomorrow”.

My new grade ‘A’ shaver:
    D51026BF-85E3-4667-BD00-948444F2933A.jpeg
    What?!?
    3EA2F112-59DA-4D6D-839B-442708C4D795.jpeg

Keithmax, Edison Carter, brit and 4 others like this.