HomelikeShaving and their START SS razor. From Russia with Love....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Oct 18, 2019.

1. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Went back to the CTAPT-START razor after a few shaves with the Charcoal Goods razor. Wanted to try the .69 gap plate since it’s the only one I haven’t sampled from the full kit. Decided to switch out the Gillette Platinums that I’ve been using with this razor and opted to use a Feather. Reason being as I’ve used this blade with a few other milder razors such as the Gamechanger .68 and the Mamba .70 with very good results. I figured that the START .69 would be just as mild as those and would benefit from one of the sharpest blades in the game.

Long story short, it was a 3 pass shave that was nearly devoid of any blade feel whatsoever. I mean, all I felt literally was the guard and an extremely smooth cutting action with very little audible feedback. It took me a couple of strokes to get the optimal cutting angle but, once there it was as smooth as smooth can get. The smoothest and most comfortable feeling razor in my den is the RR Mamba .70. And honestly, I think the START shaved just as smoothly as the Mamba and I dare say that the Mamba actually offers me a bit more blade feel. Might have to do a side by side with it to confirm. Anyways, the shave result with the START .69 was very good. No irritation, weepers or cuts of any kind. Was it a very close shave? No but, it was a very respectable finish that as a daily for those that don’t want an iota of blade feel, it fits the bill to a T. For those that want a bit of blade feel, this will be one that you might not reach for. It’s the mildest and quietest plate in the kit and quite possibly the mildest razor/plate combo I own. For those that want a smooth, comfortable, mild yet quietly efficient shaver a la RR Mamba .70 or Gamechanger .68, this one could be another option to think about. Truthfully, I won’t be reaching for this plate much at all unless I’m doing a quick touch up/refresh for an evening out with the Misses/family from shaving earlier in the day.

5837D575-9099-44E0-BAF7-AC737A413169.jpeg

jtface, brit and ajc347 like this.
  3. Str8on2

A bit of a thread revival...

Excellent shave today with the START & .90 OC plate. Again, it does what it’s supposed to do. Good, clean and comfortable shaves, shave in, shave out. Does it offer the most blade feel out there? No. Is it similar to an IkonTech, “11/“13 Muhle R41, PAA EVO DOC SS? No. It actually is quite docile compared to those 3 behemoths of blade feel and cutting ferocity. Those razors are more on the extreme, no very extreme of the razor cutting gambit that only a small percentage of wet shavers will ever try and actually say is the best for them. Yet, the START is nowhere near the razor daisies of the mild category such as the Feather A2-D2S, EJDE89, RR Mamba 53 and countless others unless of course, one uses the START .69 plate. But, that’s the beauty of this razor as it gives you an option on what you want and how to go about it with its optional plates. It fits exactly where it needs to be, in the middle where the far marjority of wet shavers roam. It’s not the only one for sure but, for the quality, craftsmanship, alloy and value it definitely should be considered with others such as the Karve, Rockwell 6S & the Gamechanger series of premium made alloy razors. The START razor kit delivers from supremely mild to nicely efficient shave parameters for the far majority. Just a real good razor kit.....

50BA1257-0117-4317-96B7-27935A3BA973.jpeg

jtface and Aztecmike like this.
  4. Str8on2

Truly a wonderful shave today with the START .90 OC. Works well with every blade that I’ve used so far but, especially with Feather, Shark Platinum, Kai & an assortment of Gillettes ranging from the Black Ninjas, Greens, Yellows, Platinums plus a couple of others that escape me at the moment. I can’t speak enough on the quality of shaves it provides in terms of comfort, efficiency and overall ease of use. Undoubtedly an excellent tool and superb value in todays upscale modern de market. Definite winner for many......

446B421A-4112-41EC-A626-B63A1B51A2A3.jpeg

brit likes this.
  5. Str8on2

Easy & smooth shave with the HomelikeShaving Start .90 razor. I used it again with a Gillette Minora blade and not a single issue relating to shave shave during nor post. Just a well made and designed razor that gives quality results every single time. Not a lot of talk on this razor likely due to the situation and conflict over in the Ukraine as it has been nearly impossible to get any goods in from Russia. Also, there are those that have drawn a line by not supporting the act from the Russian government (and the maker/producer that resides in said country) on a country that wants their independence and sovereignty. By no means am I wanting to make this a political point nor expressing a viewpoint on where I stand. Suffering and death is suffering and death, no two ways about it. Hopefully it does end soon but, it seems to be a ways off still. Regardless of the situation currently, I speak of the razor from HomelikeShaving and I consider the Start to be one of the best in its category. The complete kit at first release was available for $165 US shipped. Considering the prices today of premium alloys, higher expense in production & machinery and being produced half way around the world, it was and is a heck of a deal. When one considers that for the price mentioned earlier, one received 4 different sized gap base plates ranging from .69 up to 1.18 with an open comb variant in a .90 gap size. The .69 is a bit too mild for my liking but, everything else in the size range is a pleasure to use as the Start combines smooth & efficient performance that is undoubtedly attributed to the makers careful design and implementation that is practically seamless. In terms of shave performance and quality, it hangs with any razor designed of equal alloy and especially with those costing 2-3 times as much. Again, I’m solely speaking of the attributes of this razor and the careful design that went into making this excellent performing kit. I do wish that it was more easily attainable for the rest of the shave world but, as most know the current circumstances in play are making that possibility extremely difficult and arguably, rightly so. My thoughts and opinions on the state of affairs between the two countries in question are not needed to be said here. There are other forums and even perhaps threads within this forum that would allow for further discussio..

Here I just wanted to speak solely of a razor that delivers on a daily basis with excellent performance that exudes quality with value that is becoming exceedingly rare these days.

Great shaves to all….

IMG_20230604_081645.jpg

brit, PLANofMAN and cliffb599 like this.
  6. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Are these only available from Russia direct? >$150USD is a bit much to risk on import/export problems from Russia to Texas.

If they were available in the EU or via China/Aliexpress, they would be a more viable purchase for most people IMHO.

That being said, I'm not buying Russian sourced DE blades right now because I don't want to fuel Putin's needless war.

cliffb599 and huck1680 like this.
  7. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Unfortunately for myself, this is a hard no.

cliffb599 likes this.
  8. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Considering your Avatar, I'd be shocked to learn you bought a Russian razor!

huck1680 likes this.