Consistency of Proraso Red

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by MBShaves17, Oct 13, 2018.

1. MBShaves17

MBShaves17 Member

I’ve been happily using Proraso Green cream for some time. I recently picked up White, Blue, and Red from a vendor on eBay. I suspect the vendor is acquiring Proraso in Italy as my White was in the European packaging versus the U.S. packaging. The Blue and White out of the tube look somewhat like the green I am used to; close to a paste with a pearlescent look. The red, however, does not. It is much more fluid, closer to a lotion than a paste. I also am not enjoying it as much performance-wise.
    Do you all find the texture of the red to be similar or different to the others. If you find it similar, is it possible mine is separating due to age and/or shipping conditions? I once left a tub of Noxzema in a hot car for an afternoon and it separated into water and a lotion.
    I love the Red’s scent but not sure I would buy again unless I have a “defective” one.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have the same Red, White, and Green but in tubs instead of tubes. The color of the Red is slightly beige as compared to the other two. Being soap instead of cream they all have the same Soft Soap texture. I suspect your Red was old, or heat damaged.

Leo501 likes this.
  3. MBShaves17

MBShaves17 Member

Thanks for the reply. I’m afraid it is. It is so much more fluid than any cream I have, not just the Prorasos.

RyX likes this.
  4. MBShaves17

MBShaves17 Member

Also, how do they work for you? I can get the soap at same price as cream and would guess they last a bit longer.

RyX likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have the green in a tube .normal consistency like most other creams like nivea. i have red ,white and green in tubs as well. the green tube lathers quicker.the proraso single edge line is the best imo.ie wood and spice,cypress and vetiver, azure lime...creamy and slick..

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have tried several creams; Cremo, Kiss My Face, Simpsons, and C.O.Bigelow which IS Proraso Green Cream. Biggest difference between Creams, soft soaps like tubbed Proraso, and hard soaps is moisture content. Creams do contain preservatives because the water content can lead to bacterial growth whereas triple milled hard soaps are so dry nothing can grow on them when properly stored. When you compare prices of cream to soap remember you are also buying more water/less soap with the creams.

I haven't tried these ... yet. Knowing I enjoy Red, White, & Green - Single Edge is on my list. I'm hoping they begin offering them in something besides the Barbers Bags. Is anyone selling sample sized portions? Have you also tried the matching AS?

Latherin’ Luddite and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i have the matching wood and spice as/cologne (favorite) and the cypress vetiver , and both balms as well.first of my "buy as a set"purchases. very nice and somewhat long lasting.i haven t seen the cream packaged any other way. in my limited experience i think these are top notch for non artisan products. worth every penny..

Yehuda D and RyX like this.
  8. DarkSpy

DarkSpy New Member

You can put the contents of the tube in an unused tub and let it cure for a week.
    Then use it as a shave soap, maybe in this case it would be easier for you to load the cream/soap.
    I've done this to my red shaving cream, and it's the way Proraso creates it's soaps, by letting them cure for more time.

RyX and brit like this.
  9. HUF

HUF Active Member

A bit off-topic, but anyway. Lately, I have seen a variety of Proraso creams and soaps at Marshall's and TJMax. The prices were great.

10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

It's hit or miss, every few months they will stock a few. I always look when I go.

RyX and brit like this.
  11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I have the red and the green but both in tubs. The red is a bit harder and has a more solid consistency, the green is a bit softer and airy. But I've found the consistency varies from tub to tub. Regardless, they always provide a great shave!

RyX and brit like this.
  12. Technium

Technium Active Member

I've always used Proraso red in the tub. I need to give the tube a go. For an inexpensive shaving cream that scent really does it for me.

Leo501 and brit like this.
  13. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I have used red & green Proraso over the years and have never seen any difference in consistency in one vs the other. Sounds like you got an old batch.

brit likes this.
  14. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Bought a Proraso Red & Green at Marshall's yesterday (11/29/2019) for $4.99 each. Have never had, nor used, any Proraso. Am looking forward to seeing what all the talk about it is like. With crossed fingers..........!

brit likes this.