Pinaud Clubman to Glass and Upgrade That Scent.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tim Spencer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

We all know that Clubman aftershave just isn't as good as it should be due to the plastic bottle that gives the aftershave a plastic smell.

I have done my research and found that when transferred to a glass bottle, Clubman aftershave will lose that plastic smell in 3-4 weeks and you'll get the real deal barbershop titan as it should smell.

First you're asking, "what bottle? which one do I buy?"

Then I know you're going to ask, "but Tim, how do I get that Pinaud Clubman label on to my awesome glass bottle"?

Easy. First, it took me a few hours of searching to find the perfect bottle (you're welcome, I did the work for you). Second, the glass bottle and aftershave cost me only $14.01. Third, I transferred the label from the plastic bottle to the glass bottle in just 10 minutes.

First I will show you the products and the link to the deals. Then I will explain how to transfer the label from the plastic bottle to the glass bottle.

Buy the glass bottle here $9.18 free shipping:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-ml-Glass-Flask-With-Metal-Screw-Cap/153235905723?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Buy the aftershave here for $4.83 free shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000053L6Y/?tag=thshde-20

Here is the finished product:
    [​IMG]

Now, instead of feeling envy over my cool glass bottle of Pinaud Clubman, you should just do this.

Step 1:
    Empty the aftershave from the crappy plastic bottle into the beautiful glass bottle where this amazing aftershave belongs.

Step 2:
    Use a metal hook or curved piece of metal to pop the reducer out of the mouth of the plastic bottle.

Step 3:
    Heat up 3 cups of water in the microwave until it's barely boiling in a measuring cup that is made for pouring liquid!

Step 4:
    BE CAREFUL and don't burn yourself!! (Perform this over a sink.) And don't get the water on the label either! Not easy, but you CAN do this by tilting the plastic bottle and slowly pour the hot water in the plastic bottle until it reaches near the top.

Step 5:
    Wait a 25-30 seconds while the adhesive softens the glue on the label. ***<----Edited this step as the glue on the labels of all 3 bottles went gooey in well under a minute.

Step 6:
    Carefully, with your fingernail, find an edge/corner on the label and pry it up. It will be easier than you think. Peel the label slowly off. It will come off easier than you think but don't yank it off too fast.

Step 7:
    While the adhesive is still a bit warm, immediately stick the label on to the new glass bottle.

Like I said. Don't be jealous my dudes. The glass transfer makes this $4 aftershave smell like a fancy $100 cologne after several weeks when the plastic smell goes away. You're welcome. Your shave has been upgraded.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Ursa, gorgo2, ischiapp and 20 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I keep mine a a Tabasco bottle! Works great!

Paul Turner, Ursa, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  3. Tim Spencer

Good work. Pinaud Clubman belongs in glass. I know that now. From now on all my Clubman scents will be in glass. Now that my experiment has worked, I'm going to repeat this with my other Pinaud scents (Special Reserve and Virgin Island Bay Rum).

Paul Turner, Keithmax, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

Linuxguile, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hopefully the crew doing today's Clubman will get the idea to try the glass deal.

6. brit

brit in a box

very cool Tim..i have 2 big bottles of clubman and i decant into a glass whiskey flask..smells awesome.. 20191112_185607.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Keithmax, Enrico, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  7. Tim Spencer

As usual, Brit is already ahead of the game. I didn't see any tutorials on this on the web, so I decided I would provide one since I successfully got the label transferred to the glass bottle.

Keithmax, Enrico, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool.one was needed.i took advice from a fine gent here many moons ago..but unfortunately ruined the label.fantastic "how to" sir..

Keithmax, Enrico, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I do the same with Old Spice. Though I skipped the label bit and just used a vintage OS bottle.

Old glass Pinaud Clubman bottles are in somewhat shorter supply, I'm afraid.

Enrico, RyX and brit like this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I buy these glass bottles (with a sprayer) at the local Vitamin Shoppe store for a lot of my aftershaves. I don't know if the plastic sprayer affects the scent but it keeps me from over applying the product.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/4-oz-glass-bottle-w-spray-1-bottles/vs-3414

A few years ago I happened to find a vintage glass Veg bottle in an antique store that gets used for that particular juice.

gorgo2, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Cool. Thanks for passing that little titbit along. I agree and have none of my AS in plastic (cause it just ain't right").

RyX and brit like this.
  12. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Doggone it!

Here I was perfectly happy with my Special Reserve in the plastic bottle it came in.

But no! I had to read this! Oh yes I did!! :angry032: :signs131:

And now, I'm sitting here wondering just what the heck am I missing and wondering about trying this. And know full well I won't be happy until I try it. :lam:

Oh well, what do I have here in the house that would lend itself to this? :signs002:

:signs097:

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Over the years I've always kept my eye open for vintage glass. I've been able to find a few along the way.
    IMG_1479 (2).JPG

Tim Spencer, Leo501, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

S Barnhardt and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for putting the tutorial together!
    I've done this for all my Pinaud products.
    Pinaud Products.gif
    If you like vintage glass, check your local thrift stores and flea markets. After washing out the residue of previous contents, the inside of a bottle can be polished. Make sure it's dry, then add large crystal salt. Cap on, and shake until the sharp crystals grind away any remaining crud. Here's a before and after photo.
    vintage bottle before after.gif

16. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

"Large" crystal salt? As in ice cream/rock salt, or something else? I've never used "salt", but have used uncooked rice in much the same way. That was a method I learned from some antique bottle collectors. I'm intrigued by using salt and would like to try that!

Keithmax, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, he means kosher salt or larger. Basically, anything but table salt. The benefit over rice is that you can use rubbing alcohol as a solution. The salt won't dissolve in the alcohol.

Neither will the rice, now that I think about it, but the rice will get soggy, sticky, and less scrubby.

Keithmax, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  18. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

So you just transfer the A/S, put the cap on the new bottle and let it set for a bit. Then the plastic scent goes away? Why didn't I think of that?

brit, Keithmax, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes, that. As long as it fits down the restriction of the bottle.
    Morton Sea Salt.gif
    I prefer using sea salt in the large crystals when I cook. The large crystals don't dissolve as quick as regular table salt. I use less during preparation of food, apply it when I serve, and get a satisfying burst of saltiness when crunching the crystals.

Tim Spencer, Keithmax, BigD and 2 others like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Now that Special Reserve bottle is interesting. I saw one with the original juice (small bottle, maybe 1 1/2oz) on ebay. Asking price was $100.

Keithmax, RyX and Hembree like this.