What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaltonGang, Apr 15, 2016.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Re typed my response because it was to long, but this rumor pops up every other year, it probably helps push old stock before another run. But if they did discontinue all you would have to do is figure out what other named blade is produced on that machine. PPI gillette in Russia only has a few different blades, the brand names change depending on the market.

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Bought a 100 pack of Personna GEM 62-0178, this is the bulk pack of the GEM 62-0165's that come in a 10 pack dispenser. They are stainless steel, triple faceted and coated.
    SEptember and I've used 15 blades so far.
    I'm down to 300, less than a years supply.
    Another 100 now and then 100 at end of the year, I'll be stocked where I like to be.
    tp

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

It's difficult enough knowing what blades are made in the same factory, let alone the same machine. I do know that Gillette Silver Blue blades are made in the same factory. I've also heard Astras are made there. Nacets as well. I'm sure there are others. I was dismissing the rumor as exactly that, a rumor, until I went looking to buy some and found them very difficult to find.

4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

People have posted list of what factory makes which blades, years ago on another site one of the guys worked at the plant in Russia so he had some insight. I wish I would have saved the info. Last time the rumor happened they became difficult to find, people were even posting a fake letter saying they were out of production. I know the frustration of having your favorite blade discontinued.

5. MntnMan62

It's made even more frustrating when I find one website that unequivocally says they have ceased production:

https://www.polsilver-blades.com

And other sites that say the exact opposite:

https://bullgooseshaving.com/products/polsilver-super-iridium-blades

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/products/polsilver-super-iridium-double-edge-razor-blades-5-pack

Who to believe? I hope they are still made and that they are just rumors and a play to drive the price up. But then that just ticks me off even more. We need someone who's operating on the inside to set us all straight on what is really happening.

brit, AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I believe the site you have listed is the one a few years back that had the letter, I think it just never got taken down but who knows.

brit, DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

buy 2000 of them and never look back..:)

8. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

New blade purchases in past month.
    Polsilver SI blades - 100. Currently my favorite DE blades.
    Gillette Platinum blades - 100.
    Feather HI Stainless blades - 100. Not sure if I like these or not. Might be too sharp or too aggressive. Only time using one of these blades was with Timeless Bronze .78 OC scallop head and it felt like I was peeling skin and I actually did peel a small piece off. Need to try this blade with less aggressive razor. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacDaDad, AGHisBBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My most recent blade purchases were:

100 Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
    100 Gillette Platinum

That will almost certainly continue unless they both become unavailable. 200 blades fit nicely into a small box I have, and those two blades work the best for me.

As long as it works well, does it really matter where a given blade is made, or on what machinery? The general public won't necessarily be informed if a blade ceases production. Also, supply channel changes can disrupt availability for extended time periods with little notice. Blade manufacturers probably don't want to telegraph their business plans or production details to competitors, so that makes sense.

As long as you can still buy the blades you want, it doesn't matter. If you can no longer buy them, there is nothing you can do about it, so again it doesn't matter.

I hope what I wrote does not offend anybody, as that is not the intent. Sometimes it seems the wetshaving community misses the forest for the trees. We have so many options across all product lines now, there will always be good alternatives available.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Rayzor, MacDaDad, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Needed to fill the empty spot in an order from G.B. to get free shipping. Bought my first ever 100 of blades - Astra Superior Platinums. Also got 50 Gillette Silver Blues that actually cost more than the 100 ASP's.

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

100 Voskhod because they hit the sweet spot for me in all my DE razors except the AS-D2.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

kjbarth, AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  12. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

My last batch was a 100 pack of Feathers... why? Because I like them and they work best for me along all of my razors.

MacDaDad, kjbarth, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  13. MntnMan62

What you say makes sense. All I know is that I really like how Polsilver SI's work in my favored razors and on my face. And that's why I bought the 100 at $32 plus shipping. I now have two favored blades, and both coincidentally come from the same place. The others are GSBs. My son likes Voskhods. I've tried lots of other blades and these three seem to work best for me. I think 3 blades is all I need. And no offense was taken. I realize that if I can't get something that I really like, I'll be ticked about it for a bit but will get over it and move on to something just as good. That's life.

14. oversaturn

oversaturn Active Member

100 Derby Premium blades, bought at a brick-and-mortar shop for €7,50.
    Just to try them out... :ashamed001:

kjbarth, Shaver X, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

100 PolSilver Super Iridium. They were hard to find for a while and suddenly a 100 pack was available. So I jumped on it. I'm pretty sure the shortage was short lived but either way, I have enough to last me a while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

100 Suneco aka Suneko "Amorphous Diamond Edge". I don't yet know how many shaves they'll be good for but one truly great shave this morning in the Beloved Shake Sharp was convincing enough. Second shave in the SS was exemplary in both smoothness and closeness. $13 delivered from US distributor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

: shocked: it's a Festivus Miracle. Which also seems to happen on an annual basis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit and kjbarth like this.
  18. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

100 Silver Star blades. I find them smooth, comfortable and quite effective.

DaltonGang, kjbarth, brit and 2 others like this.
  19. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

The most recent 100 pack of blades I bought was Shark Platinum. I tried them for awhile but never could get a comfortable shave out of them; by the second pass I’d have several nicks. I prefer the Super Stainless Sharks more as they’re more forgiving.

20. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Gillette 7O'Clock Yellow. Purchased because of great reviews and poor personal spending habits. I probably have enough blades to last 10 years yet I buy more.

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang, kjbarth and 2 others like this.