What DE Blade-Razor Matchups are in Your Den???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I seem to favor certain blades with certain razors I own. While I have several small packs here and there of random 'other' blades, my 4 major blades and their razors are as follows:

BiC Chrome-Platinum (IMO, the most versatile blade I've used and shaves solid in most razors)
    Gillette Superspeed 1947-52
    Gillette "Red Tip" Superspeed 1960's
    Merkur "Futur" Adjustable
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Ascension" Stainless Steel
    Sterling Soaps Slant
    Dave Ocean 33 "Atlas"
    Merkur 45 Bakelite

Feather HI-Stainless
    Rex Ambassador Adjustable
    Edwin Jagger "Kelvin" DE89
    Gillette Heritage Inspired R89 (have not tested yet but pretty sure the Feather blade will be perfect in it based on shave with Gillette Platinum blade and how it felt)
    West Coast Shaving Midnight Collection 84B
    Merkur "1904"

Gillette "The Spoiler" Super Stainless
    Antique Gillette ABC "Empire"

Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Gillette 1907 Old-Type

When it comes to the final two. ONLY those blades seem to have provided a comfortable shave that is acceptable. The Wilkinson Sword in the Old-Type is perfection and a great shave. The Spoiler in the ABC Empire razor is "solid", but not perfect. The ABC razor is my most beautiful razor, but the most challenging and gives the worst shaves. LOL. At least I found a blade that largely tames the beast.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I tend to favor smoother blades in more aggressive razors. Voskhod in my Redtip and Muhle R41. PolSilver is a favorite in just about anything. Feathers go in my DE89 and most mild modern razors.

kjbarth, Herm2502 and brit like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't find it necessary to match blades to razors in most cases. The only exception is that I find Treet Platinum a bit too mild in my very mild razors. I use BIC blades in everything. I rotate among 100 or so DEs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kjbarth, Terry and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i use and like gsb ,nacet ,platinum,and spoilers in all my gillettes..they all feel similar to me..

5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My blade of choice is feathers, both DE's and when they'er avalible, SE's.
    Then B-20's for injectors.
    Personna GEMs for GEM type razors.
    I try other blades, but that's where its at for me.
    tp

kjbarth and brit like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I shave exclusively with a 2011 R41, and have been using it for many years.

My favorite blade is the Bic Chrome, followed by a host of other blades to include: Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7'0 Clock Black/Blue, Personna Med Prep, Voskhod, Perma Sharp, and Astra Green.

I have tried many other blades along the way, since my induction into our hobby, but the blades I have listed are the blades that I continually replace when they are gone.

kjbarth, brit and Terry like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I only have Astra SP and Feather blades. Both are very sharp. I use them in everything from mild (Merkur 1904) to wild (R41).

Herm

kjbarth, brit and Terry like this.
  8. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I use Voskhod blades in virtually every razor except my AS-D2 which uses Feather or Kai blades. My backups are Astra and Bolzano.

brit likes this.
  9. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Strange but I love Wilkinson-Sword in my Rockwell 6s but that blade is awful in anything else I use it in.

Razorock Gamechanger .84 and a Bolzano Superinox or Feather.

Treet Black in any vintage Gillette (2 shaves max if flipped between shaves).

brit likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Those are pretty much the only blades I use as well. I occasionally use sputnik or voskhod too, but those are far from favorites and seem to work better in some razors than others.

I've yet to find a razor that won't gobble Astras and shave flawlessly. Feathers I use in milder razors like my PAA DOC or Gillette blue tip.

I use old gillette super blue carbons in my shake sharp exclusively. They don't get used in any other razor, though I do run other blades in it.

I don't like to keep track of how many shaves I have on a blade, so I transfer the blade from razor to razor until it's done. Then I switch to a new blade.

brit likes this.
  11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

These are the combos I use most of the time

Gillette tech with personna Israeli, yellow 7 O clock, Nacet, GSB

Schick krona with GSB, Gillette platinum

Slim with whatever blade I'm in the mood for, I have not found a blade this razor dislikes.

Fattip with treet black beauty, vintage super blue blades, derby platinum.

brit likes this.