What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A big Osiris blade for smooth Sunday shave.

ID - 1.jpeg

Karl G, SammieM, Billyfergie and 11 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

652860A9-405E-4665-8BAC-B09A23B52925.jpeg

Leon Pelleray, Paris, ‘Le Precieux Suedois. Soap was MdC rose lathered with a Rooney 1/3 Silvertip and a splash of Myrsol Plastic finished up a great Sunday morning shave.

3. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Wow, great looking razor!

- Ken

Karl G, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

J.R. Torrey “Our 136” circa 1909
    384E7765-B9E2-41E0-ACDF-C843D81AC573.jpeg

5. kjbarth

If you don’t mind my asking, what are you using to date this (or any) JR Torrey razor? I’ve read some of the company history and have a bunch of Torrey razors, but haven’t read or seen any documentation that could be used to date the razors. Thanks.

- Ken

6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Geo. Wostenholm & Son Pipe razor
    Took the edge from near bevel set to finish on a new (to me) Coticule... and it actually worked :).
    73FE24A3-D491-4CC9-A0E4-F3108878E275.jpeg
    It was a very fun shave. I also marvel at just how many words you can fit on a razor than barely touches 13/16. They even used the reverse side of the tang to reinforce the message...
    C2C85B27-9177-4607-AD1A-89E6621568A7.jpeg
    Fun stuff. Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

7. kjbarth

Nice razor Tom!

- Ken

TestDepth and M14Shooter like this.
  8. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Shotiku
    Simpson Chubby #3 Super Badger
    Porasso Azur Lime Cream
    True Gentleman Preshave Oil
    John Varvatos Artesian Aftershave Balm

First shave in ten days, it did take 3 full passes and the end result was absolutely amazing.

Enjoy your evening gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Chuck Naill

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Ken - much appreciated.
    Tom

kjbarth and Keithmax like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Demascara 5/8
    A21C00AD-9405-4928-A736-1B05B0A57A4E.jpeg
    Again, my first hone using films. A wonderfully effective edge. It now sports a 200k edge.

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

271AA8F2-3345-46CA-8367-CFC299A3DE10.jpeg

13/16 Rugby Phoenix Steel 1961, this is the very hollow version of the Rugby, the more common ones are 1/4 hollow-ish. Spalted maple scales by the good doctor. Cream was SMN lathered with a Simpsons 59 coupled with Pre de Provence argan oil pre-shave (1% orange oil). SMN body cream served up an exquisite smelling post shave.

13. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Zaliel Jassiano
    BE66172F-4588-435A-B4F5-CC76AC091B5F.jpeg
    Stropped 200k diamond/balsa and leather. So smooth that I checked with alum, double checked with my highest proof airline alcohol AS: Texas 10X Face Freezer. Then witch hazel out of the pepper jar and the Proraso (contents actually same as label). I was just opening every bottle in sight.

Keithmax, TestDepth, oscar11 and 8 others like this.
  14. kjbarth

15. Chuck Naill

The blade side of the scales has some MRSA growth...LOL!! Get those damn things cleaned up!!! Just kidding of course. :bounce015:

16. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

7/8 Thiers Issard Wolf and Ram Sheffield Steel

Started shave with the Thiers Issard but she began to tug a little with against grain pass.She will have a visit with the J-Nat this week .
    So I just grabbed my trusty Tally-Ho to finish up .Just love how the Tally-Ho edge performs .Very keen and super smooth .
    rps20191119_012824.jpg

17. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

668D4879-005F-4FF9-9FB2-83ED9189F63B.jpeg

Yes sir! Sgt. Naill, sir! Jassiano ready to stand inspection, sir! (Except the parts I cropped out of the photo. A couple minutes with a soapy toothbrush wouldn’t disinfect everything. What cleaners are safe on celluloid?) Sir!

Keithmax, SammieM, M14Shooter and 7 others like this.
  18. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Got this local, modern SR in an early evening delivery, stropped it and did a touch up 30 minutes later. The 1/4 hollow grind gives this small razor some needed heft.

Portland Razor Company ‘Sprite’ carbon steel, 1/4 hollow, 2” blade detail razor

upload_2019-11-19_0-38-52.jpeg
    First owner treated it very well. Portland Razor seems to be using only stainless in its current line of razors, so I was happy to find a carbon steel one. And the black scales don’t show dirt, Chuck.

19. Chuck Naill

I am a big fan of dawn and moderately hot water, hand comfortable. I also, like you, use an old tooth brush. :eatdrink013:

Looks much better, my friend. :signs107:

Another friend also uses a paper towel post shave just to make sure no water is able to come in contact with the metal. I leave mine open all day on microfiber cloth and put back in my storage when I get back from work. :happy088:

Tanuki, Keithmax, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

That's an great find!! So, you must live near that company? Do they do tours? It would be cool to see the processes. :happy096:

Tanuki, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.