Refresh on Naniwa 12k

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Edison Carter, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Big thanks to @gssixgun for the new video he made.

Also of interest was observing his stropping at the end of the coticule vid. Was good. Shows you don't need to spend $$$ when a $40 Illinois does nice.

Thanks Glen, nice to have you here.

2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

10 minutes of talk.....:signs062:

Just freshed up a couple on my Thuringian under dripping water followed by chromium pasted suede and 200k diamond pasted balsa.

kjbarth and Edison Carter like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Fact: After nearly 30,000 razors Honed / Restored in the last 13 years every one of them has been stropped and sent home on a simple Illinois #827

Keithmax, kjbarth, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I use a two piece Illinois myself. It was my first and only.

Keithmax, kjbarth and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

@gasixgun , I assume that I can use the same approach to my Shapton glass 16k and Gokyumo 20k?

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. Edison Carter

@gssixgun ..... sp on original

Keith, is that Suehiro new to you?
    I've been looking at them.
    I'm interested in information from users before I make the investment.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Keithmax

I bought it about 6 months ago. Excellent stone but I tend to favor my Shapton glass 16k. The Shapton produces a sharper edge than the Suehiro. I find the Suherio works better on some of my razors like my Sheffield blades. All in all it’s an excellent stone. It produces a sharp yet smooth edge that feels like a natural.

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    @Keithmax

The Shapton 16k GS is still a rather fast cutter compared to most other hones in that grit range so you are going to have to adjust the counts down to compensate.

Yes on the 20k, you might also try and adjust that for a few more spine leading strokes on the finish.

1e: instead of a 3-2-1 you might go 4-4 3-3 -2-2-1 just make sure you finish Edge leading see how it works out

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  9. Keithmax

:thanks:

Thank you. The Shapton is fast, the next time I am doing some touchups I will give both a try.

Edison Carter and gssixgun like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve had a Gok 20k for a few years. It’s marginally better than the Naniwa 12k (or Naniwa 10k for that matter) but not $300 more better. Be glad to give you an edge for return postage. If you’re honing professionally like Glen or Jamie and using it a lot, it’s worth it because it’s so hard you don’t need to lap it often and it will last forever. It’s also very fast so it saves time if you’ve got a lot of razors lined up.

Occasionally someone will sell one, I saw one on B&B about a year ago for $250 I think. Try a WTB on the bigger forums before you pay full retail, you might just land one.

gssixgun, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Thank you for the offer Steve. Very kind of you.

My last stone purchase was a coticule. It was going to be that or the Gok 20k.

Even still, I may buy it one day. It is the way I am most of the time.

I figure the biggest part of the battle is operator skill. Which is what I need most.

Bill

gssixgun likes this.