Ivory Scale Razors.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Dec 27, 2016.

1. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Thanks for trying to make me feel better.

Anyway, I believe you are correct sir.

I just saw identical scales on a different blade on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-C...769585?hash=item288462f4f1:g:8OUAAOSwDXpdVMEe

Mr. Oldschool and Karl G like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

30BB64D4-32E5-4230-9F05-6DC657C848E8.jpeg

Alfredo just finished cleaning this one up, a 6/8 Rodgers. I bought two ivory scaled razors for $65 and this was one. The other is usable but worn down and has some pitting, but the scales on it will be a nice addition to another razor sometime.

TestDepth, Jim99, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Funny timing
    I was looking for a special bit for the Dremel today and found my very last set of Elephant Ivory Blanks that I had hidden away
    Someday I will use them for one of my razors

Enrico, Jim99, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

From this mornings flea market, a W&B in some very nice ivory. The razor has a slight frown but to compensate, it has a thump notch. Below is a set of ivory scales patiently waiting for some donor steel.

DF7C5585-1A6F-49EA-BD78-119AF95100FF.jpeg 0ABDDD4A-D31B-4D87-9129-CADBDDAC31F1.jpeg

Jim99, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  5. DrStrange

I have a similarly themed Koken which I like very much, in my rotation.
    DSCN0843b.jpg

Thread topicallity is important, so I got another ivory scale razor to show in this post.

DSCN0847b.jpg DSCN0844b.jpg DSCN0845b.jpg

I have shaved with it 5 times. I think it has the thinnest blade of all my razors.

DSCN0846b.jpg

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

DrStrange likes this.
  7. Timwcic

John Barber & Son 1840-50ish

E99DB482-472A-4468-A578-A03D4B82093E.jpeg 4D2DA704-ECDE-4F30-94D5-71B30BD55C93.jpeg

8. Timwcic

DrStrange likes this.
  9. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I have owned many razors with Ivory scales through the years, I only have one at present an Heljestrand MK 32, I also have a mint set of Ivory scales off an old Mappin & Webb that had a cracked blade, the nicest set I ever had was on a matching pair of NOS Mappin & Webb razors I sold a few months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Beautiful set Jamie!

Karl G and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  11. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Thanks, Steve, they moved from their spiritual home in the UK, over to your side of the Atlantic in the USA.

Karl G likes this.
  12. DrStrange

That's some effective commercial quality photography there.
    I want to own them.
    Actually, the text description was enough to make me want them.

Karl G and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  13. Timwcic

That is a beautiful set. I have one M&W in ivory. Nowhere close to NOS or as stately as the pair pictured. Love the worked spines

B007A743-F7AD-4D2F-B236-E601B28A00DE.jpeg 152248C8-369D-41FA-8B65-E16F67E16067.jpeg

14. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Well I have one here that is an amazing Ivory scaled razor I got from a member on here. This is my pride and joy of my straight razors and have some history on it.
    CMR.jpg CMR3.jpg Charles Macdaniel.png

15. DaltonGang

It has been a while since any additions have been made to this thread. I know that several members have acquired some new Ivory Scaled "Eye Candy".
    I might have one enroute to me, from Sweden, but will not know for sure, until it is in my hands.

DrStrange, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  16. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

You're not sure? It sounds like you're confessing to involvement into some kind of shady international ivory trade."

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Yep. :D

Karl G, Billyfergie and Enrico like this.
  18. DaltonGang

J.A.Hellberg
    Eskilstuna Sweden

This is after it has been cleaned up. It had a lot of pitting and deep scratches.

PB161457.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    lottenhem, ischiapp, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  19. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I started thinking about this thread again last week when I bought a pretty nice Otto Willms Solingen razor with what look to me like natural blonde scales, but having it in hand, I'm pretty sure they are bone. They are nice, but there are pin collars, rounded profile, and thicker than typical for ivory. I ordered a Cattaraugus last night expecting full well that it is not ivory. I mainly wanted that because my hunting knife is from the same maker. Today I just found this Joseph Rogers in rough, but restorable condition, and it looks promising, especially knowing JR dealt extensively in ivory. Looking forward to getting it in hand.

The first couple of pictures are the Otto and the Cat, all the rest are from the JR.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

lottenhem, ischiapp, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  20. DrStrange

The JR *does* look promising.

Illuminate along the length of the scales to best reveal the ivory grain pattern.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/are-these-ivory.575018/post-10454701

Mr. Oldschool and Billyfergie like this.