Feather blades DE vs. AC

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Leclec13, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

are the artist club blades as sharp as the DE blades ?

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Definitely.

Leclec13 likes this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Yes, in my experience as sharp as DE, but they endure better.

Leclec13 likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Some will surprise you in their keenness.
    tp

Leclec13 likes this.
  5. Leclec13

Yes they as sharp if not sharper than feather DE blades !!

Got my first Feather SS with feather pro shave in today.

Impressed!

(Few weepers)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Edison Carter likes this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have noticed that for me the SR shave is not some mindless venture as the DE can be. You need to pay attention and not just so you don't cut yourself. It takes some skill and very worth the effort to learn.

7. Leclec13

I hear you Chuck. Even DE needs more skill and attention than carts, I have found my straight razor shaves to be zen meditation.... any break from the concentration, the ritual, the zen experience ... I get bit. Luckily it doesn’t happen often. If I’m distracted and can’t get in the zone. I put down the Straight and pick up a DE..... still learning still practicing.....

Chuck Naill and Edison Carter like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From everything I've read, AC pro blades do for AC blades, what Feather does to DE blades.

Tops the list in ranks of sharpest blades.

Edison Carter and Leclec13 like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I've found that taking up edge forward shaving devices has helped me improve safety razor shaves.

It has become my opinion that it is more difficult to shave with a DE. Using a mild DE such as EJ DE89 requires greater concentration and control for the same irritation free result.

One area on my face is the exception. The ATG stroke has limited vision and requires more contortions than I like.

It is hard for me to consider good DE shaving mindless.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I dont think that the AC blades are quite as sharp as the DEs are because they are thicker but they are still wicked sharp.

11. juliebenz

juliebenz New Member

DE Blades as usual as these are made of surgical grade steel with short handle easy to shave by gliding it against your face keeping the blade horizontal.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think you mean "vertical." You want about a 30° shaving angle, and about 27° worth is already built into the design.

13. Edison Carter

I finished up my last shave on my first Artist Club blade. It was shave number 5.

I am using a DX folder with a Feather Professional (regular).

So far my opinions:
    1st - top shave - effortless cutting
    2nd and 3rd - great open edge shaves
    4th - noticeable decline in cutting, totally acceptable finish
    5th - won't happen for me again if #4 feels the same.

I like GSB's in my 1/2 DE Shavettes. 4-5 is the usual count there. Of the Feathers I've used there seems like 6 was OK.

Finished up today's shave with a Supply injector w/Schick Proline with 5 shaves. Good enough to have me take a look at the AC Prolines in the DX.

20191121_222600-1.jpeg

wristwatchb, Chuck Naill and brit like this.
  14. Leclec13

I’m finding the super blades in feather SS bite a bit and leaves me with a few weepers. I’m on shave 2. No question about sharpness. I’ve got some super pro blades in bound, which will prolly sit in cabinet for a long time. I may try corking if I can find one

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I shave regularly w/ a Blackland Vector for both face and head and have not found the Feather Super blades to be sharper than the Schick Prolines. In fact I prefer the Prolines and find I can get a closer shave with them.

16. Leclec13

I have proline sample incoming

17. Edison Carter

So far the DX /Feather Pro Super combo wins over the Focus R21 Evolution /Feather 1/2 DE combo

Shave 1 of ea.

20191123_171204-1.jpeg
    20191126_073002-1.jpeg

wristwatchb and Leclec13 like this.
  18. Leclec13

i have the exact same r21 I'm not in love with it. i found it chunky, i cut my SR teeth with a dovo shavette maybe i'm more familiar with it.

i agree the feather wins over R21, i have a AC feather SS kamisori

i have some super pro's that i have not yet tried, with more exposure than pro blades

so far pro blades are plenty sharp, and unforgiving

19. Edison Carter

Sorry the R21 did not work out for you. I'm running the R28 Slim in my showdown as well. Never used a Feather in it. It'll use my fav for shavettes, the GSB.

On the AC blades, I can't say if the edge differs between the Pro regs and Pro Super, but the greater exposure lets you reduce the angle more. I seem to think it makes for a smoother shave.

Leclec13 likes this.
  20. Edison Carter

This week allowed completion of
    The Shavette Showdown - Round 3
    Featuring:
    - Feather DX folder w/ Feather Pro Super
    It was a good shave for this setup, but not good to hold onto the top slot. There are 2 coatings finishing these blades, a platinum alloy and a resin. Theory suggests that these final coatings are responsible for the fierce cutting abilities and lack of longevity. The edge does not look bad under my magnification. Since the Supers have The most blade exposure of all AC type blades, I'll probably strop it like a true straight before this is over.
    - Focus R21 Evolution w/half a Feather DE blade. In the Feather vs Feather category, this blade now leads. My only dislike is the tendency to be toothy on shave 1.
    - Focus R28 Slim Al - Gillette Silver Blue brings up the rear. Just a consistent shaver this is. The extreme low weight does require the operator to control the cutting force. I can see that a negative for some. I pick this up regularly for quick shaves, something I had no foresight of ever happening.

The Blue Ming took his spot as master of suds.

From the Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks, Tuscany was one of the flavors in the mix. The profile is: Tuscan Cypress fragrance oil, add in some Bergamot and Violet, and sprinkle with an array of spices. Marketed as a unisex scent The Stirling Clearance Sale notice indicated on hand stock would be the last of it. For me it is light, fresh and long lasting and does not threaten my man card. I did what any shave hobbyist lacking self control does, run out and buy up on the soap, aftershave, and EdT just before filling in another line on the 'No Buy' list on the refrigerator. Get it while you can.

The JR367 got called up from the bullpen. A beautifully tall and majestic piece with a hybrid knot that is a wee bit scritchy. I always wonder what ball player was lucky enough to have had the Louisville Slugger folks fashion a bat with the stub timber from my brush.

Also seen were the Symmetrical Pottery bowl and the Supply Single Edge w/Schick Proline all brought to you by those Emperors of Enablement and Brothers of the Bling.

[​IMG]