The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

That is NOT a Merkur case. The design is different, the way the box sits in there is different. It doesn't even have Merkur branding the way a Merkur should. The only similarity is that they are both plastic cases that clam shell.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You quite correctly point out my discrepancies and show my foolishness at trying to assist a gentleman identify his prize too hastily. Next time I should leave that to some far more knowledgable ..... maybe you could give him aid where I failed him.

There are days I should steer clear of trying to be helpful ...... or even posting.

Please forgive me if I come across as rude ..... just tired ..... of many things.

3. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

brit and Enrico like this.
  4. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I don't know what the rule is for posting links to live ebay auctions, so i will post a screenshot instead.

[​IMG]

An open comb, Zamac, Gold plated Gillette Tech? In a white aristocrat-esque case?

Lots of firsts for me lol. That said, i am very suspicious of the auction. It looks photoshopped in some pictures.

Thoughts?

brit likes this.
  5. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Not foolishness at all, nor should you steer clear. I suppose we all have varying degrees of what we consider similar vs. different. I was just calling it how I see it. With your tip however I should edit how I see it as well... It is NOT a modern (post 2000) offering of the Merkur case. It is however a much older Murker design.

You are correct here. If it is not a Merkur (don't see any brand markings), then it is a copy of possibly a 50s Merkur case. I happened to come across this auction that ended in May. https://www.ebay.com/itm/113730776532
    This is the description: "Vintage 1950's Merkur 315 set. This 1950's original Merkur set comprehends one Merkur nº 15 open comb safety razor, in a bakelite travelkit, and plus a box containing samples of 3 different Merkur razor blades. All in excellent condition, never used."

s-l1600.jpg

You can see in this picture the interior matches nearly exactly:
    s-l1601.jpg

You can see the number of ridges in the front of each also match exactly:
    s-l1602.jpg

You can see in this picture that the piece that holds the razor from the top is the same shape and position on both:
    s-l1603.jpg

Enrico and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir..

7. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I didn't know they made open comb techs. Well it seems like I have a new mission in life, techs are my favorite but I do like open combs.

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

british #27 flat bottom tech sets..in blue and red..
    20190719_200410.jpg

PLANofMAN, José Santos and Enrico like this.
  9. Cearball

Cearball Member

Is the triangle tech still considered the most aggressive?

I only ask as I feel the the Brit Flat bottom may beat it.

I was looking at blade gap in all my techs & noticed the Brit flat bottom seemed noticeably bigger.

Bear in mind this is all done by eye.

brit likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Pretty sure the FBT (flat bottomed tech) is considered the most aggressive of the Techs.

...still quite mild when compared to other razors.

Edit: The extra head weight will make it feel more aggressive, regardless of anything else.

brit and Cearball like this.
  11. BlueShaver

Capture.JPG

Is this a "Tech" Razor?

brit likes this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Technically it is, I guess. But that is better known just as an Aristocrat

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

mrbaho and brit like this.
  13. BlueShaver

I guess the group of razors know as "tech" doesn't work then?
    They are simply 3 piece closed comb razors.

Perhaps the "tech" really refers to Gillettes 5 step improvement to razor design with the advent of the closed comb solid guard?

See here

Then again, what do i know.

brit likes this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I can't follow your link for some reason, so I'm replying without knowing what it says. I do believe that the one piece solid guard razors manufactured prior to 1947, with the exception of the 46 Superspeed, were know as techs along with the three piece techs. After 1946 the "Tech" designation was dropped from the one piece razors and then the only techs were there three piece razors.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  15. BlueShaver

Its an advert describing a TTO Gillette tech from the 30's

The name "Tech" is probably a shortening of the phrase "new technology" and in looking at the adverts, etc, defiantly relates to the closed bar design introduced.

Gillette referred to the specific design of the razor by the number pieces it came in. One piece (Aristocrat, TTO), Two piece (#77, #88 etc), Three piece (#45, etc).

Without digging into it deeper, i think this is something the shaving community has perhaps misunderstood....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  16. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

The new Technology was the close comb. The 2-piece #77 and #88 are NEW razors with open comb

brit, BlueShaver and Linuxguile like this.
  17. BlueShaver

Correct lol.

I'll correct the post.

What do you think of all of this?

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

during my time of collecting british flat bottom rtech razors. i have found 3 different base plate variants of the 2 pin design.the center plate being the common one,oute plates were service sets.. 20191123_214536.jpg

Aztecmike, PLANofMAN and Cearball like this.
  19. Cearball

Cearball Member

Other than the writing being in different places on the far right example I am struggling to see any difference.
    What are the differences & perhaps more importantly does it effect the shave?

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

the lather slots are larger on the left,the writing has highlighted capital letters on the center.the safety bar grooves are different on all 3.the 2 service set plates have more efficient..shave characteristics and due to slightly larger blade gap.all three have different weight and size handles which can change the shave characteristics as well..

bartje-p, PLANofMAN and Cearball like this.