New Designs and Restorations

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thank you Gary.

brit likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

I started this brush a little while ago, but put it on the back burner for a while. I had a problem with the bottom as someone scratched their initials so deep on the bottom, it was falling apart. Originally I wanted to put some kind of coin there, but just didn't find one of the correct size. Then it just hit me, I really didn't need it. I removed the original knot and replaced it with a new 19mm Omega boar knot. After removing the bottom part of the handle, I sanded it smooth and removed about 2mm of the plaster on the inside. I then filled it in with JB Weld Epoxy, which turns black, and added a couple of clear coats. Filled in the letters with white paint and a polished it a little............
    z2.jpg
    z1.jpg

3. brit

brit in a box

looks fantastic Jim..cool brush..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary. It came out much better than what I thought possible when I first got it.

brit likes this.
  5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

looks great Jim. Outside the box thinking!

Douglas Carey, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

I got an Erskine N-125 brush handle, minus ferrule, from @Jrdelgado a couple of days ago, and was thinking of what kind of ferrule to use on it. While out today, eating some fish at Captain D's, it popped into my head. I made a badger brush a while ago using part of an aluminum flashlight and thought that it would fit. Also a plus having the knot with it. After coming home, I dug it out, removed the bottom, and this is it next to the Erskine brush handle......... 1111.jpg

I was sure the knot was siliconed on and after cutting the aluminum in half, that was verified. The knot came off easy after being heated up by the Wen Rotary tool. I opened up the inside a little, smoothed out what was to become the top and removed the anodized black finish. Then I installed it along with the knot which, measures 22mm. It needs a bit more touching up on the ferrule to remove some left over marks, but this is what I ended up with..........
    2222.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..

8. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

Douglas Carey, Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  9. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Awesome! I knew you would use that! Great job Jim!

Douglas Carey, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  10. jimjo1031

Thanks. When you first told me you were sending it and it was small, I had another in mind. I was wrong, it was too big. But this worked out fine.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

that doesn't sound good..:D

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

:happy097:

13. brit

brit in a box

:D

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

From the lot I received today, I worked on this Rubberset boar brush. Sanded and put polyurethane on the handle, filled the letters with white paint. Boar knot is dry fitted, but I think it'll do.............
    20200106_135932q.jpg r1aa.jpg

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful work Jim. Great job. :happy096:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

Thanks Douglas.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

looks fantastic Jim.nice job..

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

19. jimjo1031

My newly restored Rubberset 203. Having the base unscrew from the top helped save time. Before and after pics............ 203aa.jpg
    203bb.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim.nice work..

jimjo1031 likes this.