The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

ahahaha! It's so annoying to me lol

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I do too....that's why I'm making it a project to improve the feel of Spice A.S. on me.

3. Paul Turner

I believe I see a pattern to your Stoylin of choice here.

4. Paul Turner

Remember John, it is eligible for Stoylin 2021 Tony Awards.

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Closer to Piacenza, but I think the closest in my inventory is Deep Blue Sea.

It is totally unique though. Other stuff I like is Sandpiper, Stirling for Him, Tuscany, Piacenza, Dunshire, Deep Blue Sea, Island Man, Mountain Man, and Brut

Wish I could ballpark it better.

6. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

^ Deep Blue Sea is a great one for sure that doesn't seem to get talked about much

Sandpiper, Noir, and Baker Street are some of my other faves, though I think Baker Street irritates my face. Dunshire I strongly disliked.

but Varen is the only one I own a full size bottle of :D

7. Paul Turner

As I said in a previous post, "some Stoylins" will be allowed to be used by me for 3 straight days. I'm trying to cut back on using the same products to 2 days. I find that after 2, I look forward to a new one. But as for now Sandpiper and Spice make the trifecta list.

8. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well things worked out................all it took was adding things to my cart!

I ordered doubles of Tsuka soap and AS since they’re basically half size. I did the same with Deton-8 (I like Spicebomb). I rounded things off with a tub of Vanilla Sandalwood and 2oz of D- 503 splash.

The wait begins. :)

9. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

That is exactly what I do (about 20 so far), and she likes many, but hasn't encountered that one. I'll find it if it kills me, though (and it just might, because I think The Missus is getting tired of me waving puck after puck under her nose saying, "What do you think about this one?")

Same here! And (to steal a phrase from my oldest daughter) Baker Street is my jam. :(

I think it's the Juniper that's causing the negative reaction in my case. One way or the other, I can usually get away with using the soap, but if I've had anything less than a perfect shave, the AS is going to burn in a not-so-good way. I've found that if I've had a moderately decent shave, and apply my Glacial Unscented balm first, I can usually get away with using the splash.

Which is a good thing, because I refuse to give up Baker Street.

10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD December 4, 2019

Prep: Cold water and PAA Cube pre-shave soap
    Blade: vintage Schick Plus Platinum
    Razor: Schick M adjustable
    Brush: Sapele beehive badger
    Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain

SOTD 12-4-19.jpg

gcconspiracy, ezlovan, Jim99 and 9 others like this.
  11. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I have 2 other juniper-heavy aftershaves that don't seem to bother me. Not sure what it is.

12. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Stirling does a dupe of Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  13. PLAla

Not that I'm aware of.

14. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you Perry

15. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Not positive but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of Stirling's new shave brush's but being indecisive I was hoping to get a little help from those here with some wisdom to share.

I currently have a number of synthetics, Stirling's Boar brush which I actually have enjoyed more than I thought but as advertised the backbone and scratchiness is definitely unique to Boar.
    I also have a Whipped Dog Silvertip which is also a great brush so.................

I find myself leaning towards Stirling's new high density two band butterscotch brush, here is where I need your help.

1) what qualifies this as high density opposed to so many other two band badger brush's out there? Is this where Stirling's excellent services come in to play and they only bring in the best but offer it for a great price?

2) The loft. opinions on the 53 vs the 57? I am leaning towards the 53 as both the boar and whipped dog I own have larger lofts so perhaps I should mix it up and go with a smaller loft but the look of the 57 is great and i certainly don't want to make the brush to stiff by going 53. Any experience here? Pictures of two bands with a shorter loft?

Finally, I am expecting a package from Stirling today with mostly their Eau de Toilettes! (Stirling Gentlemen, Deep Blue Sea, Deton-8) Really stoked to test these out and expand my stirling collection. Also have a Tsuka bath soap and shaving bowl in the package as well. Thanks for the input and Happy Shaving!

ezlovan, Jim99, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  16. PLAla

I love Stirling mail calls!

IMG_0991.jpg

17. Paul Turner

I'm guessing that soap on the right has some leather, sawdust, or both.Oh now I see you have a matching aftershave. GIDDYUP.

18. PLAla

It is based on Polo Supreme Oud cologne. Woodsy, masculine scent. Reminds me a little of WSP Mahogany.

19. Paul Turner

That WSP was the one I had to "flip" recently, since I couldn't manage to unscrew the lid after it got stuck. . But what a name....Supreme Oud! That's Doc Ezlovan's second oud dupe isn't it?(Agar being the other).

20. PLAla

Not sure, Paul. This scent, called Meghalaya, was a special edition made for a meet-up in Florida. Rod had the remainder on sale for Black Friday. I'm glad I took a shot. The scent is really nice on first smell.