December 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 29, 2019.

?

What's the most decadent item in your den?

1. A really decadent DE - we're talking top of the line, gold plated over the top DECADENT!

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. A really decadent straight razor - we're talking top of the line, incredibly DECADENT!

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. A really decadent SE razor - vintage baby and shines like the sun because it's DECADENT!

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. A really decadent soap that lathers up like DECADENT whipped cream!

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. A really decadent brush that feels so soft yet makes such DECADENT lather!

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Cookies, man. I mean seriously - is there anything more DECADENT than cookies??

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. Ice cream, man. Seriously. Without DECADENT ice cream - cookies are just hard bread!

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Sorry to hear about the health issues, Daniel. Hope everything resolved for you. I am well-acquainted with neurologists. Have had Parkinson’s for the past 6 yrs. Feel better!

Terry, Trigger, brit and 11 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Interesting, and I can see how Stirling's bath soap would be fairly soft. The ones I've bought from Rod have all been sale items, usually $3.25 per bar. Not bad but I wish I could get them to last a little longer.

Terry, Trigger, brit and 9 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

DEcember 6th
    Barbasol FH w Astra SP (2)
    Zenith boar/BRM
    PAA Et Tu combo
    Thayers
    IMG_3150 (2).jpg Day 5 of the FH focus. Another quality shave this morning. Perhaps a little left on the chin ATG, but that is really nitpicking based on the perfect results this week. 2nd use of the new Et Tu. I find the quality of the base quite good, it will take a lot of water for sure. Like Andrew recommends, I had the lather flyin' around. The scent, to me, is more 'pleasant' than any other descriptor I can come up with on the fly. That all changed after saying goodbye to Mrs. Spartan this morning. Her response? 'You smell great today'. Yup, getting the SWMBO SOA (© @Primotenore) definitely moves it up.

Everything is obviously a keeper, and as most all of you know, I am firmly in the camp of 'one in, one out' (jtspartan brushes excluded). So, what will exit the den? I have two Old Types, one a Canadian ball end and one a US Single ring with a marked up topcap and a split handle. The Single Ring will exit stage right. Excellent shaver, but does shave exactly like the other Old Type. I'll keep the Canadian. Soap? I love the Strop Shoppe tallow base, but the vegan base isn't as good in my books. The Black Tie is a nice scent, but will also be seen the door. Aftershave? This one hurts. Why am I keeping the Gentleman balm? For the once or twice a year I take it to travel without Mrs Spartan? Buh bye. If anyone wants to pay the shipping on the soap or razor or both, let me know and they are yours. I'd say the same thing for the Gentleman, but it isn't even worth the shipping. I'll just toss it in with the razor or soap.

Have a great day all!

Terry, Trigger, brit and 13 others like this.
  4. jtspartan

I have two triple milled bath soaps in the rotation- SV and C&E. Both are excellent.

Trigger, brit, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  5. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

I'm kind of used to it, i've had epilepsy for a decade already. Reason is unknown, my MRI:s look completely normal etc. The seizures won't come often, maybe twice per year, but there isn't really any meds that would work for me.
    Sorry to hear about your Parkinsons. Thanks, Jeff! You too.

Terry, Trigger, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice! The SWMBO SOA is always coveted! Great shave, and nice gesture by offering up your exiting goods.

Trigger, brit, Edison Carter and 7 others like this.
  7. jgreenepa

Here’s a belated well -wisher! Hope you recover soon. Guys our age need to take it slow and easy, particularly during the winter. I actually wore knee and elbow pads I found in our basement that one of my sons used back when he was playing hockey in high school 25 yrs ago. They actually saved my bacon last yr during an ice storm here in PA. I slipped in our driveway attempting to get the mail and probably would have broken both elbows if I hadn’t been wearing them. Feel better!

Jeff

Terry, Trigger, brit and 10 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That looks to be a good choice for me down the road. (Haverford). And yes, I am doing a little better, thanks. CTscan came back saying no bleeding. Knee bruises are healing.

Terry, Trigger, brit and 10 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

It definitely beats the alternative.:)

Trigger, brit, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  10. jgreenepa

Great shave, Danny! Glad to hear how much you’re enjoying that Calypso! Nothing like a great shave to get things off on the right foot! All the best!

Terry, Trigger, brit and 7 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Ok, Clint, you sold me! I’m keeping the Occam’s. Ordered the regular top plate for the razor, and will give it a spin after I’ve run through my vintage razors.. Bought the bar top plate because I thought it would help my son with the shaving angle.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Terry, Trigger, brit and 9 others like this.
  12. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Great shave, Jason!

Trigger, brit, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Love the filter effect Jim.

Trigger, brit, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Who said anything about buying ?:bounce015:

Trigger, brit, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  15. jgreenepa

Sorry to hear of your razor troubles! I too have thick, dense whiskers, and got nowhere with the Core. In the interest of fairness I ordered the Hybrid with the Genesis head, and had the exact same experience. At least you didn’t cut yourself! I did, when against all learned shaving instincts, I pressed down with the thing. Sent both razors back this last Wednesday.

Trigger, Terry, brit and 8 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic photo and shave Jason.

Not listening. Do not need to go down another rabbit hole. Off to search the web

Trigger, brit, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I believe the ridge on the top cap is just there as an indicator for new shavers that they're going at too shallow an angle, otherwise it's the same and gives the same shave as the non-ridged top cap.

Terry, Trigger, brit and 8 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I hope you enjoy the Occam's. I have been very impressed with it thus far.

Trigger, brit, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

Thanks, Jim! Looking forward to shaving with it.

Trigger, brit, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  20. jgreenepa

Thanks, I’m looking forward to the shave. I think I’ll start with the most efficient plate with the largest holes, which appears comparable to my Red Ring.

Terry, Trigger, brit and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.