The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Based on a review of the literature (TSD, Shave Nook, Shaving Room, DFS, Sharpologist and more) I have the 2013 baseplate and an approximately 1mm wider cap than the 2013 cap measured for the Shave Nook review by Samjax. Model changes since 2013? Random cap procurement by Muhle? The cap shape/curvature is certainly as important as cap width, but I have no way to compare that parameter.

So I guess mine is either a mutant or an unremarked model change.

GAW9576 likes this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My blade appears to be resting on the teeth as best as I can make out. I was unable to get a decent close-up to share because of my Parkinson’s.

Tanuki and GAW9576 like this.
  3. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

So I’m going with “mutant”. My only safe shave with my R41 was with a RazoRock SLOC cap on the R41 baseplate. In any case, I am now doubly impressed by your R41 use and the double shave you posted that got me investigating my R41!

GAW9576 and jgreenepa like this.
  4. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Have you tried the R41 top cap on a different razors baseplate st least for visual inspection?

Tanuki likes this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, I think? I’ve just learned over time that the R41 is a great face shaver, if I use it every other shave, but it definitely doesn’t work for me as a dome scraper! It’s narrow sweet spot doesn’t combine well with my Parkinson’s and the back of the noggin.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

6. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Visual inspection only, R41 cap fitted on various three post baseplates:

R41 cap has less curvature (flatter, larger diameter of curve) than:
    Merkur 15C
    Vintage Merkur OC baseplate
    Yaqi SLOC
    Gillette Single Ring (thin cap)
    Gillette ABC (thin cap)
    Gillette Old Type (thick cap)

R41 has more curvature than:
    Stella (which has a completely flat baseplate and cap)

The R41 is obviously pretty flat/shallow curve, just looking at it. I obviously have too much time on my hands this morning. Does this count as a (visual) Daily Septuple?

GAW9576 and jgreenepa like this.
  7. GAW9576

Sure we can count that. Only because it doesn't beat my Nine razor shave.

Tanuki and jgreenepa like this.
  8. GAW9576

Great shave today with the TNNSER 3D and a shavette. And of course Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood on a two band badger is always a great choice.
    Even with a 7th use Gem SS PTFE the TNNSER 3D doesn't disappoint. The shavette did well but the blades I have for it can be a tad harsh.

[​IMG]

Tanuki and Chuck Naill like this.
  9. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Kinfolks Blue Steel Special
    RR GC-OC84
    3D print 2-band badger
    Vintage Old Spice (mug “Made in Belgium”, soap from New Jersey?)
    Alum/witch hazel
    6A5BD543-FFE5-4958-8E76-410CDE4A191D.jpeg
    Nice to just strop and shave, without any forensic investigation of dodgy German “safety” razors. RazoRock has the GameChanger built to the exact spec. Then I swap out the handle, of course [shrug].

Smooth sailing with the new-to-me, you-can-still-see-the-puck-logo, vintage Old Spice soap.

brit and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

Nice razors and interesting brush. Did you add the black band to the brush handle?
    What is the scent like on the Old Spice soap? Similar to the cologne or completely different?

Tanuki likes this.
  11. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Brush was a gift. The black band is a bit of bicycle inner tube. There are three more underneath it. It had a really narrow waist. The knot got it into my brush rotation. This is only the second badger knot I have used. I did shave 40+ years with one boar, then one badger.

I have never used any Old Spice anything until this, so I can’t compare. And I find the scent pretty light. Then again it is old soap. Lathers really well, though. No issues there.

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. GAW9576

Today's Daily Double paired the Enders speed loaded with a first use Schick proline B20 and a Kamasuri style shavette loaded with a feather proguard. Mer Shavings Fougere Bay on two hand badger provided the glide with a dab of lotion for a little extra slickness.

[​IMG]

13. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Vintage double today.

Cattaraugus Cutlery Yellow Boy
    1924 Gem Shovelhead
    Williams Mug, plus Lea cream for a little continental sophistication (and menthol)

280D9270-2759-4A5A-BEF5-F96428652260.jpeg

14. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Second run out for the AutoStrop VB1

Valet AutoStrop VB1, despined Gem PTFE(2), auto-stropped 5 laps
    Gem Guiding Eye Micromatic Bullet Tip, PTFE(4), just for under jaw detailing
    Palmolive menthol cream and brick Cella
    Unbranded boar
    Witch hazel and Proraso green splash

Rule 1
    Make sure VB1 comb is fully retracted against blade. First stroke, every stroke.
    F93F8E54-4547-49C4-8A1F-97CDDFF78F98.jpeg
    Comfortable DFS+. No blood.

Chuck Naill, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  15. GAW9576

Great setup. Glad there was no blood.

16. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Wester Brothers “Anchor Razor” coupled with Sheffield made “The Gleaner” by John Watts Cutlery. A2ABB83F-EB27-405A-83C8-30B69F3AE931.jpeg

brit, GAW9576 and Tanuki like this.
  17. GAW9576

Very cool. A Wester Brothers Anchor was my first straight razor. I got it very cheap at an antique store. I sharpened it on 2000 grit sandpaper stuck to a piece of glass. And shaved with it. Obviously not the world's greatest shave but it was good enough to get me hooked. Unfortunately I damaged the razor trying to clean it up better later on. It was a learning experience though.

Tanuki and Chuck Naill like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

@Steveclarkus gifted sent me this Wester Brothers for my birthday. One of the best in my collection.

19. GAW9576

I tried stropping a pathology blade again today. I don't think it helped much. The stropping attachment holds the edge of the blade off the paddle strop kn the one side and makes stropping difficult at best on a paddle. I think a hanging strop would solve this with the slight curve you would get on it. I'll just have to stick to using the blades as they come till I get a hanging strop. I also stropped the single edge blade with the handle from my Gem Jr. Bar which seemed to give a slight improvement. I used the Henkels Rapide for about half the neck shave and all of the back of the neck.

[​IMG]

Tanuki, brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Opening Schick E and the ‘58 GEM PB. For me, there is no better brush and soap.
    496C7D8B-1486-48C9-B9DE-66866E44EDA0.jpeg

GAW9576, Tanuki and brit like this.