The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

ezlovan, Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Sharp Dressed Man and Deep Blue Sea are really nice IMO

My curent top 5 would be

Iced Pineapple
    Executive Man
    Deep Blue Sea
    Mountain Man
    Sharp Dressed Man

Followed Closely by
    Ramblin Man
    Sandpiper
    and Hipster

ezlovan, Frijolero, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Oh and don't forget about Stirling For Him, that's my special occasion soap. Get it while you can!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

4. Linuxguile

SOTD Decadent December 6th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Blackland Dart
    Personna Super (6)
    BRM (24mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling Deep Blue Sea soap and AS

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

5. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Not a chance! That looks bigger then my entire den:).

6. john zeiger

Thanks for saying something Andrew. My tastes seem to run very similar to yours so I think I'll pick that up.

7. john zeiger

Just went to Stirling's site but didn't see any Stirling For Him A/S left.

8. john zeiger

I bought the Soap and EDT. I'll use an unscented A/S. Thanks again Andrew.

9. john zeiger

Welcome back Dirtfarmer. So many good scents it is hard to chose but one I highly recommend that is on sale and is a limited time offering is Tsuka (one of my top 2 or 3 favorites). Also, if you like Executive Man (like I do) I think you'll really like Iced Pineapple which is a great Summertime scent (as it has extra menthol). To me IP smells similar to EM.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  10. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Reporting in on my most recent Stirling package. I got three of the colognes: Deep Blue Sea, Deton-8 and Stirling Gentleman as well as a soap bar of Tsuka amongst a few other knick knacks!

The cologne's:

Stirling Gentleman ranks as my favorite scent and the cologne is no different; just a great intoxicating smell. I do seem to feel like this scent is hot and cold with people so may not be one you take a risk on without sampling first. Again, its my personal favorite. The lasting power of the cologne is also impressive.

Deep Blue Sea: I hadnt smelled this before but knew of Blu de Chanel so I took the risk and paid off! Great Great masculine, fresh smell to it. Of the 3 colognes I purchased this one may wear off the quickest but still lasted for hours pretty prominently and then still could smell it faintly for even longer so not a negative but just comparing to the 3 I have tried.

Deton-8: Man I love this one. Definitely spicy and woodsy, definitely lasts a long time. Very close dupe for Spicebomb so check out that cologne at a department store and decide from there but for me a fantastic scent.

I also got a soap bar in Tsuka and frankly am still deciding if I love it or "hate" it, weird. I can't quite decide

I'm also debating purchasing one of the new 2 band high density brushes...........not sure I can fight the urge much longer!

11. john zeiger

Rib

Congratulations on your purchase Rib and nice overview. I've been fighting the urge on the brush also. If you get one please advise the board how you like it.

12. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Got my order Yesterday.
    Love a good Stirling mail call.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

13. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

If you liked Executive man, then you'd probably like one of their other cologne dupes. I loved EM, and I can't think of anything else that I've tried quite like it: that initial hit of pineapple, followed by the deeper cologne-like notes is pretty awesome.

Here are the ones, in order of preference, that I've tried that are also cologne-like (even though they miss the initial pineapple-y sweetness that I like so much in EM):
    • Arkadia: this would be right after Baker Street in my three-soap rotation if it weren't for the fact that The Missus finds it a bit strong. The citrus top notes are bright and fresh, and the black pepper and geranium work some wonderful juju on that cedar base note. Can't quite say enough good things about Arkadia
    • Sandpiper: this one IS in the three-soap rotation, and the cedar in this is more subtle and sophisticated than Arkadia. Admittedly, it's probably more akin to EM than Arkadia is anyhow--one way or the other, great scent!
    • Ramblin Man: this one fooled me. Straight off the puck (to my nose, at least) it smells like Irish Spring soap, but once those top notes settle down--it doesn't take long--there's a wonderful (to quote from Wooster and Jeeves) thing-ness about it. Can't put a pin on it, but mixed into that fading 'fresh' scent is a deeper, slightly warmer (but not sweet) something. Maybe it's the ambergris... dunno... but I really liked this.
    • Piacenza: also a great scent, but considerably brighter and more citrus-y than EM. Still, a great scent.
    Other suggestions, but that to me, seem to stray a bit from EM:
    • Baker Street: the top of my three-soap rotation, but might lean too far towards classic/barbershop than EM goes. Still, in my book, you haven't lived till you've given that a try.
    • Sharp Dressed Man: a fantastic, light scent, but one whose freshness seems to veer away from EM
    • Mountain Man: same as SDM (above), but even stronger and fresher
    • Stirling Gentleman: warm, mellow, and ever-so-slightly sweet. *Warning: I love it, and I know quite a few others enjoy it as well, but The Missus is NOT a fan. This may be a polarizing scent.
    • Glastonbury: once the lavender settles down, this is a fantastic, cologne-like scent. *Warning: it appears that Stirling does not plan to keep this in the line-up, so when the last of this is gone... it's GONE.
    Out of curiosity, what do you think of Texas on Fire? I've heard mixed reviews, and I've been afraid to pull the trigger on that one. On the one hand, my wife likes it when I come back from camp-outs still smelling a bit of campfire; however, she does not like the smell of coals and ashes once that fire has been put out. Which would you say of ToF: smoke or ashes?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll be clinkin' and clankin' with my Burma Shave Soap next week for a couple shaves.

15. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the wonderful list. I see a couple on there that I've been on the fence about but I'll be jumping on them in the very near future. ToF: I would say that the soap is more smoky then ashy. The splash has a smoky medicine-y smell. It's kinda hard to explain and the first time I was like "NOPE, this is not a keeper". Tried it again with the splash and now I like it but it wouldn't be in a weekly rotation. It smells exactly like a camp fire but not as strong. And it's a brown puck and the lather has a brownish tint to it.

16. Paul Turner

I realize that post wasn't about Stoylin, but I figured @Gnomeo0228 would get a good laugh, as he clinked and clanked during his last video lol.

17. timabababaluka

Man, I still don't know.

It's funny, I've been on an odyssey trying to find that one scent that my wife absolutely loves. How ironic it would be if it turns out to be the one scent that I have been hemming and hawing over for a couple of years. You've got me a couple steps closer, though.

18. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I would say to order the sample soap and splash. Just don't go off the smell right out of the plastic because it'll fool ya. Lather it up and use it a time or two to get to the goodness of the soap.

19. timabababaluka

Oh, I get that entirely! When I first smelled Stirling Gentleman (one of my favorite scents) straight off the puck, I hid the thing instead showing it to The Missus--I was that ashamed of my purchase. But the magic happens after you lather it up :)

20. Paul Turner

I find that I may get a lot of "good looks" from ladies, but none have actually said I smell nice or good. (Course with one exception-the lady at my supermarket working me over because I had Clubman on).,