Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Yeah, after the doors are closed you still have a few more turns. This way if you move the dial while shaving the blade doesn't start rattling around cutting you up.

Frijolero, brit, Str8on2 and 2 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

must be a very fine machine thread..

3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I have no idea. One day I'll take it apart to see.

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What @Str8on2 said.

5. PatrickA51

@Trigger now you know how I feel and why I was so pissed off. Hope that you get your Rockwell Model T soon.

brit, Hembree, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks @PatrickA51, but if you go back to comment #556, then you would've read that I received it. It gave me the best DE safety shave I ever had on my face and head. I just wished this company was on the ball with producing and shipping their T's more effectively.

brit, Hembree and BigD like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Think I'd be unlikely to do any business with these folks even if they do make nice razors.

8. Trigger

Bill, I understand, but they are punctual with placing and shipping orders with the rest of their product line.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    brit, Hembree and BigD like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Which is a good thing!

BigD, Trigger and brit like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I posted my thoughts...
    My opinion hasn't changed. It's good, solid, and shaves like a champ. (EDIT: In my opinion), it's also kind of ugly when compared to the 70 year old razors it's based off of. If the Futar and the Fatboy had a child...it would be called the Model T.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    BigD, DesertTime, PatrickA51 and 3 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Sorry, I think the razor looks very nice.

BigD, PatrickA51, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    There's people who like Bahaus Architecture too. I don't judge.

BigD, PatrickA51, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  13. PatrickA51

LOL
    I have 2 Rockwell T Razor Sets and I have 4Rockwell 6S Razor Sets. I think they all look good but to me they look like any brand new in the box unused razors to me.

BigD, PLANofMAN, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. Spang

Spang Member

I see that the Rockwell Model T is finally available for retail sale, nearly four years after the launch of its crowdfunding campaign. The tab is $150. I’m curious what folks here think about its prospects in the market. Personally, I think it may be a tough go at that asking price, given the plethora of excellent razors that have hit the market over the past four years. And even though the Model T is a somewhat unique design among current modern adjustables, it’s not stainless; in fact, as is well documented in this thread, some of the key parts are Zamak. Given these factors, I’m thinking this may be a hard sell. What do you guys think?

Full disclosure: If you have followed this thread you know I backed the Model T project and (finally!) got my razor some time ago. While I find it to be an excellent shaver, knowing what I now do about the razor, I don’t think I’d be willing to fork over 150 bucks for it.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's a good razor, and worth the $79 I paid for it as an early bird backer...

That being said, the Vikings Blade Emperor adjustable razor is 1/3 the current price of the model T, and is what I felt the Model T should have been. A modern interpretation of a Gillette Fatboy/Slim razor.

I don't feel the zamak parts in the model T are a big issue, as far as the longevity of the razor is concerned. Gareth's mistake was to partner up with the wrong people, and his inexperience with manufacturing processes has bit him on the *** repeatedly. He should have partnered with weishi or parker, imo. He would have gotten a better, cheaper razor.

16. Spang

Spang Member

That's great insight. I don't know much about manufacturing processes, but it seems to me that the Rockwell guys didn't absorb the harsh lessons from the 6S experience . They proceeded into the Model T project as if they had everything thing figured out, which clearly they didn't.

PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I received mine last week, but there seems to be a problem with the silo doors. When tightened the doors will not fully close, so I contacted the team and they instructed me how to turn the T bar 180 degrees. it didn't solve the issue so no I'm waiting for further instructions.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The way I understood it, they were given samples that met thier specs, but the actual production run parts did not meet specs, so they had to go back and forth multiple times to get it sorted out. Basically, the manufacturer lied to them about his ability to manufacture the parts to tolerances. At least that's what I remember from the kickstarter updates.

If I remember right, I think I said the Model T is in my top 10 list of shavers. I used it for a couple days when I first recieved it and haven't touched it since. A razor can shave like a dream, but if it doesn't appeal to you, you'll wind up grabbing another razor to shave with instead.

Let's not split hairs. It's a good razor (if you don't wind up with a busted one), everything works smoothly and the fit and finish are pretty good. It's everything anyone could ask for in an adjustable razor. For my personal sense of taste, I think it's an ugly razor. I like sleek, mininimalist design and decorative knurling (spiral aristocrat, #58, TV special). It's hard for me to get past my own negative bias towards this razor.

19. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I thought the 6C was a great shaver, but ugly. I ended up selling it. I personally don't find the Model T to be ugly, maybe just homely. IMO the Model T is also a great shaver and while not handsome by any means, it doesn't offend me. For me it's a keeper although I would not have purchased it at the current price of $150.

eric.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. Spang

Spang Member

That sounds like a virtual rerun of what happened with the original 6S campaign: the manufacturer produced a small sample of completed razors that were, apparently, of excellent quality, but the razors delivered from the production runs turned out to be nothing like the samples; in fact they were so bad as to be unusable. To Rockwell's credit, they eventually replaced all of these razors when they finally got their production dialed in. But for basically the same thing to happen again with the Model T really speaks to your point about Gareth's inexperience with manufacturing processes.
    I agree on both counts. I find the Model T an excellent shaver; as good as anything in my collection. But I don't care for the aesthetics; it's simply too massive for my tastes.

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.