What's In Your Nose...

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I've had my usual Viking dark a few times today.
    Now a little bit of Railroad Mills Maccoboy. The most coarse and most moist nasal snuff made in the States.
    [​IMG]

2. KcHighLife

3. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Well...I got a little interested in trying snuff again. The last time I tryed it I was about 19 or so. I bought some Garrett's sweet snuff and realize I don't really know the proper way to use it.

You mind if I ask for some pointers, KC?

4. KcHighLife

Anything to help. I personally just take a little pinch (and I mean little) especially with Garrett since it's pretty fine. Put it to your nostril and take a little sniff. It will take you a while to get it down to how much product, how deep of a sniff etc. When you feel the need to blow, blow your nose. Some times it's almost immediate and being that your new to it, you might even sneeze.
    One great resource is youtube.com just search "snuff use" and it should pull up some great stuff. I've actually been thinking of doing a few videos regarding pipes and snuff myself.
    Please let me know how I can help further, and keep me posted.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sneezing - your body's way of telling you there's something in your nose that shouldn't be there.

2grubswrestle1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only dry snuff user here. Haven't snorted any today but aside from the American brands I have only tried an Apricot and Menthol blend. Amazing stuff! I need to get a Mr. Snuff order together and try some more over-seas offerings.

7. KcHighLife

I can not argue this, very true.

8. KcHighLife

Always good to see another that enjoy this, especially since it is almost extinct. I have quite a few differing brands that are domestic as well as those from across the pond. I've been around the block with this type of baccy long enough to have ordered from the states, believe it or not. But, you can't beat Mr. Snuff's selection as well as the service...good people IMO.
    Menthol does not agree with me at all! I do have some Gawith Hoggarth Peppermint that I enjoy on occasion but menthol is a no-go!
    Tonight I have been enjoying Samuel Gawith Kendal Brown...well after my pipe that is.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  9. So, KC, honestly--how many times did it take that you could snort this, this, uhh-- stuff--up your nose without your eyes watering, and you sneezing your hat off? Or, perhaps even more so, what inspired you to do it? Just askin'...

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  10. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

For me Viking it was the people at PipeSmokersForum that inspired me to try snuff. The first time I snuffed it was like snorting napalm. It took a few times to learn how much and how how hard to snuff.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Which still begs the question, Why would anyone want to learn how to snuff nalpalm?

NoobShaver likes this.
  12. KcHighLife

Truthfully, it's been so long ago I can't recall the specifics. But, I would say that it did take me a while to understand that you are not trying to sniff a palm full of it, just a tiny little pinch.
    I initially started it to quit smoking cigarettes many years ago. This was before the day of the nicotine alternatives of today. I quit smoking cigarettes entirely and use this once in a while. For someone that hasn't tried it, you might not understand that the variance of scent is really the allure for me.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  13. KcHighLife

This is not a great picture, I think I need to clean my camera :)
    [​IMG]

14. KcHighLife

Samuel Gawith Kendal Brown.

15. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Seems to be an older thread, and I wish I had known about it before. But hey, lets see if we can't revive it!!!

Today I filled my snuff box with 6 Photo Kailash; one of my absolute favorites. I prefer moister snuffs and I love the musky, jasmine scent which I feel is enhanced by the added menthol. Has a pretty solid nic hit too which is nice.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've tried every form of tobacco it's possible to use. Snuff wasn't for me. Nor plug cut tobacco. Everything else I've gotten along fine with.

17. Lo'Gosh

Yeah, it's just not for some people. It can also be a particular kind (or kinds) of snuff. Some people don't do well with certain ones, but do great with others. May I ask what snuff(s) you've tried? May be able to help. =)

Had Toque Espresso in my snuffbox today; and now I'm enjoying a pinch of 6 Photo Super Kailash.

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It was many many years ago. I remember it was a scotch snuff, white tin. Might have been Garrett or Starr?

19. Lo'Gosh

Aha! That could have been your problem. Scotch snuffs are very hard to take, even for veteran snuff takers. I would recommend trying a coarser and moister snuff. Toque has some good ones, and I hear Fribourg and Treyer are good (be careful, they have some dry, fine snuffs, like scotch snuff); and Samuel Gawith also has some good beginner friendly snuffs. 6 Photo also has some good ones. They're a finer grind, but quite moist. Moistness and coarser grind will help to keep you from over insnufflating. And also keep in mind that snuff tends to be a quicker, harder nic hit than other forms of tobacco; so be wary of your pinch size and the nicotine content of any snuff you try at first.

I've been snuffing for 10 years and I have snuffs that are still hard for me to use; such as 41 Photo White Elephant. It is a super fine, dry, white snuff; and it seems no matter what, I tend to get it into my sinuses/throat, lol. Still a very good snuff though. Anywho, hopefully that helps, and should you decide to try snuff again, you find it much more enjoyable. =)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. Lo'Gosh

Some 6 Photo Super Kailash, another favorite of mine. Love the musky, sandalwoody scent too it, and has a decent nic kick.

Attached Files: